PDA

View Full Version : Bite On Garlic Losing its Scent

boxl0bster
12-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I've had a bottle of bite on garlic for about a year, took it out to use the other day and it has pretty much lost all of its garlic scent. All I smell is a TINY hint of some of the spices or whatever it is they have in it. Before you ask if I shook the bottle, yes I shook it. I even poured some in the palm of my hand and sniffed the darn stuff to make sure.

Has this happened to anyone?

the killa fish taco
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I have never heard this happen before. Please send me your number. I will personal replace it if this has happen.

Aaron Garcia

5150fishn
12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I have quite a few older bottles of Bite-on in a variety of their scents and have not had this problem. PM Aaron and he will take care of you.

Carptain_Bao
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Very impressive customer service

Troutman65
12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I have two bottles of Bite on that I would like to trade in for new bottles . Thanks

TaperSteve
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
OK.... maybe I'm missing something here. Your complaining about a bottle of Bite-On losing its scent that has been sitting on the shelf for a year. Do you know how many jars of powerbait I've had that went bad from the previous season? Worms, jigs, etc.... hardening? You can't expect anything that you've had sitting around for a year to stay good. A month or two maybe, a year.... uhh no!

I have a jar of sour cream from last year it should still be good. It's lost its scent and now it smells terrible. Has anyone else had this problem? I even put some on my Doritos taco and tasted it to see but it made me sick.

DarkShadow
12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
OK.... maybe I'm missing something here. Your complaining about a bottle of Bite-On losing its scent that has been sitting on the shelf for a year. Do you know how many jars of powerbait I've had that went bad from the previous season? Worms, jigs, etc.... hardening? You can't expect anything that you've had sitting around for a year to stay good. A month or two maybe, a year.... uhh no!

Simple solution!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41THilaBjLL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Sprinkle some of that in your bottle and you're good as new. Also works great to marinate trout. Every tackle box should have some.

I have a jar of sour cream from last year it should still be good. It's lost its scent and now it smells terrible. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have! All I did was put it back in the fridge and a few weeks later, I had Cottage Cheese.

get some
12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I have never heard this happen before. Please send me your number. I will personal replace it if this has happen.

Aaron Garcia

I remember the orginal bottles leaked and I told them at the fred hall show. They had said they switch caps and still hooked it up with 3 free bottles. They are great people in my books. I even told them I only had 1 bottle but they said it was on them. Great costumer service guys and Great product!

NoHo ART
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
i wish this was the case on all off the bottles that have leaked in my tackle boxes lol

camo
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I have a bottle that I had picked up a month or so ago leaked all over my float tube. Are you sure the caps are revised?

phishin phool
12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a bottle that I had picked up a month or so ago leaked all over my float tube. Are you sure the caps are revised?
Good luck getting those stains out, my tube has em too and I tried everything getting them out with no luck. I keep em in plastic bags now.
On another note, a couple years ago I ordered some bottles, before they were everywhere:) and they shipped two extra and I emailed them and offered to pay for them and they said "keep em and thanks for your honesty". That was very cool in my book and how you keep customers, besides having a product that works.

camo
12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah that is true. I just tossed the bottle today as I stared in disgust at the stains on my tube lol. Oh well live and learn

RedKnight
12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

I have a jar of sour cream from last year it should still be good. It's lost its scent and now it smells terrible. Has anyone else had this problem? I even put some on my Doritos taco and tasted it to see but it made me sick.

Hey Steve.....you ARE missing something buddy. This is a friendly Q&A about the product and you seem to be the only jerky letting your personal issues pour into this thread. A yes or no would have been nice, not your two cents for something they didn't need change on.

Jbfish
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Mcasshole move steve.. im shaking my head in disgrace, the forum is for advice and to help each other out.. not cool man... as to other posters about the bottles leaking. happened to me also but i never bothered to complain. just put it in a ziploc and all was good. glad to hear that bite-on has such good service!!

TaperSteve
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Hey Steve.....you ARE missing something buddy. This is a friendly Q&A about the product and you seem to be the only jerky letting your personal issues pour into this thread. A yes or no would have been nice, not your two cents for something they didn't need change on.

Mcasshole move steve.. im shaking my head in disgrace, the forum is for advice and to help each other out.. not cool man... as to other posters about the bottles leaking. happened to me also but i never bothered to complain. just put it in a ziploc and all was good. glad to hear that bite-on has such good service!!

To come on here (a public forum) and bash on a FNN sponsor, a very reputable company and product without trying to handle it through a phone call, email, or PM is jerky. And what personal issues would you be talking about? You saw how quickly the Bite-On staff jumped on here and tried to right the situation and offer him a new bottle.... something that could have been handled in private and not on a public forum. It only takes one small spark to start a wild fire and now you got people on here complaining about leaking bottles, etc....

Maybe that last paragraph I WAS being jerky but Yes he rubbed me the wrong way on a day that I've been having a bad week and for that I APOLOGIZE. The Bite-On guys make top notch products and provide excellent customer service. Bet if you go to your local grocery store and try and return a year old product used or un-used they're going to tell you tuff luck you bought this a year ago and are no longer covered by their return policy.... but I knew the Bite-On guys would go above and beyond what almost any other company out there would do and try and right the situation and they did.

TS

Jbfish
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
To come on here (a public forum) and bash on a FNN sponsor, a very reputable company and product without trying to handle it through a phone call, email, or PM is jerky.
the dude wasnt bashing on bite-on, he simply asked if his problem has happened to anyone else.. dang steve you gotta chill out brother

TaperSteve
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
the dude wasnt bashing on bite-on, he simply asked if his problem has happened to anyone else.. dang steve you gotta chill out brother

OK maybe I used the term "bash" loosely. What I meant was he complained about something that was a year old without trying to handle it in a private setting first and again I APOLOGIZE for that. Not trying to start or get into any drama just calling it like I see it and I already apologized for anything I may have said that was jerky or crossing the lines.

TS

TaperSteve
12-13-2012, 02:37 PM
and to be fair I DO NOT think he started this thread to undermine the company he just handled it the wrong way thats all. Ehh no damage done Bite-On is a reputable product that works very well. I shoulda kept my lips zipped and stayed out of it. I'm done being a jerky now and I'll chill out....

TS

RedKnight
12-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Cool heads always prevail. Steve, I appreciate the chill approach and glad this thread didn't take a turn for the worse. Fish on Folks!!!!

smokehound
12-14-2012, 05:35 PM
I bet it works just fine despite the smell, perhaps there was a problem, and the machine at the manufacturer accidentally dumped mostly fish oil, or something to that effect.

IMO, pure plain fish or shrimp oil is the best scent you could ever use.

Cartman
12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I bet it works just fine despite the smell, perhaps there was a problem, and the machine at the manufacturer accidentally dumped mostly fish oil, or something to that effect.

Shrimp oil? For squeaky shrimp?

Cartman
12-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Smokehound's comment stimulated my imagination. Made me remember that I had some little bottles of oil I bought years ago to use for fish scents, used them for carp with no success, and gave them up. Checked them out. I have Rhodium oil, cumin oil, musk oil, and something called shellfish oil. All are from Dobbins, a company that sells them for use on traps. I remember when I was ordering them Mr. Dobbins told me he sold a lot of the rhodium, musk, and cumin to fishermen, but he had never heard of using the shellfish oil for a fishing scent. Seemed strange to me but I bought some anyway. Would that be Smokehound's shrimp oil?

So I looked up some recipes for making trout scents out of rhodium oil and sure enough there were some calling for rhodium, cumin, and musk, but no shellfish oil. I made a batch and mixed in some garlic olive oil from Trader Joe's, but I decided to try it out first before adding the shellfish oil. I realize it's almost impossible to conduct any kind of real experiment with fishing stuff. There are so many variables. But I will try it out and make a full report. If it works, great. Even if it doesn't work, I love the smell of these oils, and at least they will help mask the human smell on my hands.

Thanks, Smokehound.

DEVOREFLYER
12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
OK the secret is out. Here is where to get it. I have used this company and another (still a secret) for years for scents (varmit hunting& fishing).

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=507

Some can be used for KILLER catfish bait makin'. Jus sayin'. Lottsa good stuff here if ya look.

http://www.murrayslures.com/oils.html

HBAR
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Bite On bro's know I will always back them up SF! (if you have to ask what the SF means, then you just don't know), but I do have to say that I still have an original bottle of pink power bait from 1988, and yes it still good in fact all my jars of power bait that are in glass jars are still good, it's all the plastic jars that suck! I've gone as far as emptying any glass jar and transferring good or new power bait to the glass jars.

Cartman
12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
OK the secret is out. Here is where to get it. I have used this company and another (still a secret) for years for scents (varmit hunting& fishing).

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=507

Some can be used for KILLER catfish bait makin'. Jus sayin'. Lottsa good stuff here if ya look.

Got any recipes you would like to share? Or is it as I suspect that it doesn't really matter how you mix it as long as you use it?

smokehound
12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Not even close to my recipe :P

Shellfish oil sounds like it would nail the spotties. they love mollusks, especially jack-knife clams.

DEVOREFLYER
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't have my old recipe but I think this is close and will work.

Colored Playdough

Materials

1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
Food coloring
Saucepan
1 cup flour
Directions

Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm.
Remove from heat and add flour.
Stir, then knead until smooth. The cream of tartar makes this dough last 6 months or longer, so resist the temptation to omit this ingredient if you don't have it on hand.
Store this dough in an airtight container or a Ziploc freezer bag.

If you are going to use it for catfish cotton balls stirred into the mix or cattail fibers will make it last on the hook longer. Oh and I might add that the odor depending on what scent you use when cooking will not make your wife happy about doing in on the kitchen stove, better to do it outside if really stinky. Ask me how I know.:EyePop:

DMS
12-17-2012, 05:15 PM
OK the secret is out. Here is where to get it. Lottsa good stuff here if ya look.

I would just avoid using the "Skunk Essence Tincture" on anything that goes in my boat! :Skunk::Big Smile:

DEVOREFLYER
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I love the Skunk Essence and have used it a number of times to get REVENGE. With a long needle syringe you can place it into a car through the weather seal or a home through the weep holes in the window.:Envious:

HBAR
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
To come on here (a public forum) and bash on a FNN sponsor, a very reputable company and product without trying to handle it through a phone call, email, or PM is jerky. And what personal issues would you be talking about? You saw how quickly the Bite-On staff jumped on here and tried to right the situation and offer him a new bottle.... something that could have been handled in private and not on a public forum. It only takes one small spark to start a wild fire and now you got people on here complaining about leaking bottles, etc....

Maybe that last paragraph I WAS being jerky but Yes he rubbed me the wrong way on a day that I've been having a bad week and for that I APOLOGIZE. The Bite-On guys make top notch products and provide excellent customer service. Bet if you go to your local grocery store and try and return a year old product used or un-used they're going to tell you tuff luck you bought this a year ago and are no longer covered by their return policy.... but I knew the Bite-On guys would go above and beyond what almost any other company out there would do and try and right the situation and they did.

TS

Sometimes things strike us the wrong way or we read it wrong, since on chat rooms we can't tell the tone of the person's voice who's typing. But I think (and I know it's been said on those threads already) we all need to tip our hat off to Steve for all the time and effort he and others put forth putting on the (then) get togethers and now Team 57 events.