PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Beach 12/09/2012 (very short session)

skunked4life
12-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Been in a life funk. Trying to get back on track.

Made a short visit to my usual AO on Sunday. Have been committing to the LC pretty heavily and have not used anything else since H4G event.

Gear: Clarus casting crankbait rod; Chronarch 200e7; 15 lb Izor; LC FM 110 (some new candy colored scheme)
Time: 6:30 am
Date: 12/09/2012
Conditions: a little after high tide but extremely flat; surprisingly warm water; very little bait fish; no one fishing until about 7:10 am
Duration: 45 minutes

Made it out to the AO and started casting immediately. There were a few spots where I was catching salad on every retrieve, but found a nice trough where it was clean. Cast out about 30 times before I got any love. I had a few violent hits and almost managed to farm one in but spit out the LC at the last minute. At the 40 minute mark, I decided to cast one last time...OK, you know how that works...more like four or five more casts. Then I got hit hard. Didn't take line, but was extremely heavy coming in. Thought it was a short Butt. I pulled the beast in and it turned out to be this:

It measured out to about 15.5 inches but it was fat. Had a beachcomber take a quick pic and then went to release. After about 5 to 6 minutes, it swam off. I decided to call it quits, but then I see something flapping around about 15 yards away from me on the beach. I go back and it was the same perch I thought that I had released safely. Sufficed to say, it wasn't a successful release. Gave it to a friend at church and she steamed it up with garlic, ginger and soy for dinner with her son.

Wish I had more time to get out there, but life is simply getting in the way lately...

bloox8
12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Nice sized BSP Ken! Those bigger models put up a pretty good fight.

After last years HG, I too stayed committed to the LC on all my surf outings. And the rewards were totally worth the patience and persistence :Big Grin: Up until recently I decided to switch it up to spoons and dropshots when conditions gets tough, but LCs are always going to be my first weapon of choice. They simply work too well and I am sure you'll feel the same too :Smash:

Thanks for the report. I hope everything goes well.

Thien

murrieta angler
12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
The most important thing about that post........gave at church...:Big Grin:
Ups and downs, they never go away.
Pray, Believe & Trust!
God Bless Brotha,
Robert
<><

SP Dan
12-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi ya Ken,

Your dedication and persistence to our sport was well rewarded!
My best BSP for 2012 so far is 14 1/2". And yours was a very nice fish.... sir!
Thank you for your practice of CPR and for your kind heart of giving.

Thanx for the fish report with pic.

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Nice going S4L! Sometimes the releases don't always work out but at least it didn't go to waste. Thanks for the report and hope the life funk is lightening up..fishing always seems to clear the mind in tough times!:Wink:

Don

dlmoo312
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
That's a very nice looking perch for a short session. Congrats!
Is that a pb? I'm glad you were able to take some time to get away from it all and just fish.
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

skunked4life
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Nice sized BSP Ken! Those bigger models put up a pretty good fight.

After last years HG, I too stayed committed to the LC on all my surf outings. And the rewards were totally worth the patience and persistence :Big Grin: Up until recently I decided to switch it up to spoons and dropshots when conditions gets tough, but LCs are always going to be my first weapon of choice. They simply work too well and I am sure you'll feel the same too :Smash:

Thanks for the report. I hope everything goes well.

Thien

Thanks Thien. I will be adding the drop shot to my arsenal in 2013 but want to get a dedicated drop shot rod first.

Wingnut
12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
15.5" Ties my PB Barred Surf Perch... still hunting for that 16"+ :Envious:
Nice job, you've had a great 1st year in the surf. :Thumbs Up:

skunked4life
12-11-2012, 05:01 PM
The most important thing about that post........gave at church...:Big Grin:
Ups and downs, they never go away.
Pray, Believe & Trust!
God Bless Brotha,
Robert
<><

Yes. The gift of giving and living the righteous path before the good Lord will no doubt lead me down the right path.

Hi ya Ken,

Your dedication and persistence to our sport was well rewarded!
My best BSP for 2012 so far is 14 1/2". And yours was a very nice fish.... sir!
Thank you for your practice of CPR and for your kind heart of giving.

Thanx for the fish report with pic.

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan! Things have gone south since H4G event in both my life and fishing, but i'm gonna keep getting up everytime i get knocked down until my very last breath! Persistence is my new motto.

Nice going S4L! Sometimes the releases don't always work out but at least it didn't go to waste. Thanks for the report and hope the life funk is lightening up..fishing always seems to clear the mind in tough times!:Wink:

Don

Yeah Don, this is the first time i was unsuccessful in my release of a fish. Good news is that when i gutted it for my church friend, the perchy did not have eggs nor live young. Fishing during this funk has helped alot.

That's a very nice looking perch for a short session. Congrats!
Is that a pb? I'm glad you were able to take some time to get away from it all and just fish.
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! The problem is when you aren't catching, it feels like another let down in life. At least i had a brief moment of happiness when i caught BSP. Yes it was my PB!