PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod And Ultralight Spinning Reel, Anyone Tried this?

Ghost
12-10-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm thinking outside the box and looking to trying out my Shimano Sedona 500FD with an 8' Eagle Claw fly rod. The rods rated for 5/6 flyweight and has 8 guides.

So will this cast a Lip Ripperz trout worm with a small split shot in back about a foot or so good?

fishinone
12-10-2012, 07:08 AM
A spinning reel will cat poorly with a fly rod. The guides aren't designed to let the line flow off of the reel properl
Long ultra light spinning rods are hard to find in stores but you can get them through the internet from places like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops easily. They will work much better for you.

CraigH
12-10-2012, 08:15 AM
I agree. The fly rod reel seat is too far back to properly balance a spinning reel, and the small fly rod line guides don't work well with spinning reels. Bass Pro Shops used to sell a "spin n fly" or something like that. It had larger guides and a reel seat that reversed depending on which type of reel you were using. I don't know if that would work or not, but IMHO your best bet is to buy a long UL rod or have one built on a fly blank.

gogreeenz4
12-10-2012, 08:45 AM
what about one of those berkley power bait rods?? the green ones..

seal
12-10-2012, 08:55 AM
This method has been used for years to fish lightweight plastics, going back to the beginnings of the crappie jigs for trout style of fishing. Older guy at Hesperia lake use to tape his spinning reel to the fly rod and I've seen many others use it.

As far as the casting goes if fishing light plastics then how far can you cast them anyway? Long rod with fly rod action assists in getting lightweight lures out there.

blackberg
12-10-2012, 09:46 AM
the proper way will be to use fly blank and get it built for a spinning reel

I have been thinking of doing it
-bb

Carptain_Bao
12-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I used my 9'6 5wt fly rod with a spinning reel for carp fishin. Never tried it with those tiny plastics but I think it is doable.

DarkShadow
12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
So essentially, your setup would look something like this?

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6849/soessentially.jpg

I say you do it! What's the worse that can happen?

vanillagurilla
12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Number one is its hard to cast, no but section to the rod so you have no leverage or fulcrum point to cast from, #2 is the balance, sure you can deal with it for a little bit but after awhile your going to feel it in your wrist and forearm #3 the guides, its not going to cast very well with those tiny guides and I wouldn't be surprised if it casts shorter then your regular pole. I went from a spinmatic and a sienna to a elixir and a stradic ci4 and I can fish plastics all day without getting tired, my back on the other hand isn't to happy about that lol.