PDA

View Full Version : how windy is too windy

jerkbait
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Just bought a tube and want to get out but I hear it's going to be windy Sunday.Tried to go to Irvine this morning after doing some work stuff and was turned away by CHP saying it was full even though i saw open shore line.Stupid 5k. I've never tubed before so don't want to put myself in a bad position.And for a beginner would Corona be a better lake than Irvine.Thanks for your advice

Viejo
12-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Any body of water can be a challenge for a beginning tuber when it reaches over 20mph. This weekend, Santa Ana winds in excess of 40mph are predicted for the corona area. Could be an interesting session. I'd say try it and then you'll know your limits for sure .

OC ANGLER
12-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Get your self a good pair of fins !! thats one area you dont want to skimp on gear ! this is my first season tubing and in the handful of times ive gone out ive learned the wind can really make things challenging for a tuber . IMO starting out you wanna be in calm water so you can learn how to kick , turn, handle , and just be comfortable on the tube . once you know your tube and what you can do then you can really concentrate on what we love to do .... fish !

if some of the local lakes Santa Ana or Irvine are a little windy try looking at Laguna Niguel lake as that lake is small and has pretty good protection from the wind .

Irvine Sat. was a little crowded due to the event going on . but not to wear you couldnt find a shore spot . I think the event was just causing a traffic issue out on the highway for a while . they closed down the flats which made the rest of the area's get a little more filled up .

oldschoolfishin'
12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
the more wind there is, the more uncomfortable the tubing. however! if the fish are biting than i will put up w more discomfort to do what i like to do. i recommend force fins. they are quite efficient and comfortable for the long haul. i never get cramps in my feet as i did when i used swim fins. they are expensive relative to swim fins, but worth it. i would buy nothing else.

seal
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Ya know my 50 year old man legs never have a problem with regular Caddis style fins. Get in a groove and kick, don't try and make it the Indy 500 on the water, there is no need to be in a rush to get anywhere in a tube, if you are in a hurry buy a boat.

I know the Force fins and other models are great but way overpriced! I believe the hype is way overblown, once again I'll say I've been tubing for about 25 years. If you see breakers out on the water then don't go too far from shore just find the area you want to fish and basically kick to keep yourself in the zone.

All these contraptions that people are strapping to their tubes these days takes the simplicity out of float tubing, one rod holder is more than sufficient for somebody targeting trout. Oh yea I forgot everybody has to have a Go Pro these days and post videos that all look the same from the same angle.

Don't take any of this too serious a little tonge and cheek in this post and a lot of grumpy old man included for your enjoyment, hee hee!

Poxy Boggards
12-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I have to agree with the endorsement for Force Fins, especially on windy days. While you do give away a little bit of thrust power with a smaller fin, they also make kicking through the water almost effortless (like walking backwards)

I started off using some hot spots, and while they are awesome fins, they require alot more effort to kick through the water. The great thing about hot spots is that they generate alot of thrust, but that extra thrust requires alot more effort compared to the force fins. This can make all the difference on a windy day, between being able to hang through the gusts, or having to beach the boat cause your to darn tired to kick anymore.

Back to your original question, I do not like taking the tube out if the wind forcast is for anything over 15 MPH. 20 and above makes it almost impossible to fish effectively in a tube.

seal
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I have to agree with the endorsement for Force Fins, especially on windy days. While you do give away a little bit of thrust power with a smaller fin, they also make kicking through the water almost effortless (like walking backwards)

I started off using some hot spots, and while they are awesome fins, they require alot more effort to kick through the water. The great thing about hot spots is that they generate alot of thrust, but that extra thrust requires alot more effort compared to the force fins. This can make all the difference on a windy day, between being able to hang through the gusts, or having to beach the boat cause your to darn tired to kick anymore.

Back to your original question, I do not like taking the tube out if the wind forcast is for anything over 15 MPH. 20 and above makes it almost impossible to fish effectively in a tube.

I just use oversized wading boots, legs of steel:Big Grin:! I get a KICK out of hearing some complain about sore legs and stuff, got a friend who's wife is 62 I think, hikes all the way down to Mead from up on the cliffs, kicks all day with those lightweight backpacker type fins, never complains. So hearing about young'ns complain about sore legs makes me chuckle a bit, but it's all in good fun from my perspective, I bet if I purchased those Force or Hot Spot's I'd be happy as hell!

I think 20mph is good mark but really it's all about where the wind is coming from and the lake you are fishing, most lakes have coves and cliffs that could provide protection from the elements, unless of course you are talking about Crowley, that lake is not for the faint of heart in the afternoon, tubing the old tournaments out there couple times I thought I was going to be lost at sea!!!!

Poxy Boggards
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I just use oversized wading boots, legs of steel:Big Grin:! I get a KICK out of hearing some complain about sore legs and stuff, got a friend who's wife is 62 I think, hikes all the way down to Mead from up on the cliffs, kicks all day with those lightweight backpacker type fins, never complains. So hearing about young'ns complain about sore legs makes me chuckle a bit, but it's all in good fun from my perspective, I bet if I purchased those Force or Hot Spot's I'd be happy as hell!

I think 20mph is good mark but really it's all about where the wind is coming from and the lake you are fishing, most lakes have coves and cliffs that could provide protection from the elements, unless of course you are talking about Crowley, that lake is not for the faint of heart in the afternoon, tubing the old tournaments out there couple times I thought I was going to be lost at sea!!!!

Dude, you are nuts, oversize wading boots... I bet if you tried a pair of force fins you would join the rest of us in hyping how well they work. The first time I tried them I was sold within the first few minutes. That is how much of a difference they make.

Never been to Crowley, but I've seen some awesome looking fish pictures from that lake. Got to get out there at some point, maybe next year...

seal
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Dude, you are nuts, oversize wading boots... I bet if you tried a pair of force fins you would join the rest of us in hyping how well they work. The first time I tried them I was sold within the first few minutes. That is how much of a difference they make.

Never been to Crowley, but I've seen some awesome looking fish pictures from that lake. Got to get out there at some point, maybe next year...

Yes nuts but oversized wading boots was a joke! Think I'm just jealous, I work too hard in the old style fins, I guess I need some turbo boosters to keep up these days.

Crowley will beat your butt bad, especially in McGee where you sometimes have to kick way out to get into the excellent bite then try to survive the kick back in later in the day, but what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger right?

camo
12-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Seal, I don't want to take this thread off topic but I have to agree with you on your comment about all these contraptions people are fitting to their tubes. I am a younger guy and I agree 100% that simplicity is best. One rod holder for the dead stick and that's it.

RedKnight
12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
anything over 15-20mph winds can make your fishing experience into a workout. Get comfortable in calm weather before you venture out into unknown wind and wind gust conditions. I use www.wundeground.com for my weather updates. Solid dependable weather site you can set your clock to when assessing the wind conditions. I think tubers have all learned through experience and you wont forget the fist time you have to beach your tube to wait out high winds. As you get into moving waters will then factor currents into your game plan.....thats another dicussion. Good luck.