PDA

View Full Version : Bait casting reel info/help needed

FishingwithDave
12-08-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm new to using a bait casting rod and reel for fishing and I'm using this primarily for fishing the Duct. I purchased a Lews Speed Spool Tournament Pro reel and a 7'6" MH Skeeter Reese casting rod. I've spooled it up with 20lb Pro braided line. I follow the instructions for setting up the reel each time I change lures. I practice several times a day, mostly with a 3/4 oz weight, and have no problems. Get out to the Duct, and I still struggle get the lures across the Duct to the far side, and that I'm constantly getting birds nests, which rarely happens when I'm practicing.

Looking for any tips or setup changes that others would recommend to help me master the bait caster.

Thanks,

David

P.A.W.
12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Since this doesn't happen while practicing I'd suspect that in trying to cast farther you're snapping it rather than lobbing it. This will get the spool accelerating too fast and voila! Nesto!

kaneo
12-08-2012, 03:07 PM
casting into the wind can be a problem too. either set the brakes a little more, or tighten the cast control knob on the handle side. changing the weight of the bait will affect the cast and bird nesting as well..

cutbait
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
What line are you using and size?

I also highly suspect your settings on the brakes and line tension knob are just set to tight, which is fine since yoir a beginner.

I also think as you progress you will free the line tension knob and graduate from engaging the brakes

For instance i literally use no line tension and engage only one brake. Youll get there

FishingwithDave
12-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Cutbait, I'm using Power Pro 20lb braid. Would I better off going down to 10 or 15 lb braid or using mono?

cutbait
12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Cutbait, I'm using Power Pro 20lb braid. Would I better off going down to 10 or 15 lb braid or using mono?

Nope, your throwing already the optimal line for distance. Whats your brakes at? And how is your fall when spool is in freespool

FishingwithDave
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for confirming that i have good line for casting. Seems much easier to undo birds nests too.

I've got the brake set at 4. I've adjusted the free spool so that when the lure hits the ground the spool maybe rotates a quarter or so. If I see the line start to back lash when testing I tighten it a little bit.