PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana River Lakes 12/7/12 from a boat Limits quickly

allanon
12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
So had some stuff to take care of this morning, but decided to try SARL later in the day.
Called my buddy and we met at the lake. He has a boat, so it was just the two of us.

Got on the water around 1245 or so. Finally got to our spot around 200 or so. We were looking for them in the less crowded places on the water, but couldn't find any.

Once we got to the hot spot, it was wide open on powerbait. We had our limits in about 40 min or so.

He managed one on the jig, I caught one on the micetail. All the rest were on powerbait.

Near the end there, we cast 4 poles with powerbait and got a triple hook up to end the day.

Rainbow powerbait was what they wanted. They would bite the micetail and jig, but the bite was 5-1 for powerbait.

Fish were mostly smallish - 1-2 lbs. There were some bigger models caught today, I saw a guy cleaning a 12 pounder.

I was using 4 lb mono izor, 4 lb seaguar blue label leader, #10 owner mosquito hooks. We fished with 18 inch or so leaders.
Got to experience using a fish finder, that was really cool. When the fish get stacked up like that, it was pretty cool to hear the little "ding" every few seconds a school of fish swam under the sonar....

LNL is my normal fishing lake, but due to their no stock this week, I figured SARL for the opener would be fun.
As we arrived late (1245 cast off from shore) the water wasn't too crowded. The shore still was.

Tight Lines everyone!

the dude
12-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Thank's for the report, sounds like you had a good day. I'm going on monday it's been a couple of years since I fished sarl LNL is the lake I normally fish but like you I'm fishing SARL. Do they still rent pontoon boats there?

allanon
12-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Yes, I saw a few pontoon boats out there and a couple for rent at the dock