PDA

View Full Version : NOT YOUR NORMAL FISH REPORT! North of LA Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/CaughtMoments.jpg

CAUGHT MOMENTS - I am a strong believer in "caught moments", opportunities to do something, big or small, that make life better. As a dad and husband, Julie & I have discovered some of the best times with our kids were 'caught' and not planned. And with friends, business partners, fishing friends, and even those I have connected with on Facebook, these caught moments are the ones that make a difference. Here's a "caught moment" with my fishing friend Brad Bayley that can be of value to each of us here, a fishing story that points to another.

Here's what happened Sunday afternoon ...

Santa Barbara weather is tame compared to most parts of the world. Our annual rainfall is 18" for the year and rainy days might total about 20 days a year. So after 7 days of continuous rain I was ready to do something outside. Cabin fever. I called my friend and we both found time around our family to go on a short surf fishing trip before dark. The rain had stopped briefly and we headed south to a favorite spot, north of LA. Since Brad didn't have waders, we fished in our swim suits and headed for the beach. Everything looked great for fishing but the waves were about 6 feet on the outside break, a bit large for fishing. The beach looked good and the structure was there but we weren't able to find any fish of any kind. Right now it is one species, catch and release Barred Surf perch.

So we headed for the point and fished that, hoping to go around the rocks to fish our magic spot. Well, the waves were big from the storm and had washed out the sand. We were in our swim suits and we were attempting to keep our shirts, tackle, fishing vest and our reels dry. Since we weren't catching on this side of the point we decided to wade around. When we do that, we take off our shirts and equipment and bundle them on the top of our heads. And off we went into the cool water. Brad leads, I follow. The waves are big and the sand is washed out. And then, oops, Brad steps into a hole, goes from waist deep all the way to his head. He backs out. We realize that the tide is too high, the water too deep, and the waves were too big, the conditions too unfavorable.

We go back, and fish the up side of the point. Brad fishes close to the point in his swim suit without his fishing tackle and shirt/sweatshirt. He was jumping over the larger waves and stayed away from the backsplash from the rocks. He catches a few. It starts to rain. The tide is going out and Brad decides we are going to go for it again. We bundle up our gear my Phone in plastic bag and off we go. Brad leads, I follow trying to avoid the washed out holes that he steps into. AGAIN, Brad steps into a deep hole and is up to his neck and I follow seeing that he makes it out on the other side. Since he led the way, I knew that I could follow. The water is cool and I held slim hope that my shirt and fishing jacket would be dry on the other side. But we both made it. Barely. Wew!

Once there we planned to stay long enough as the tide receeded and that by the time we fished and left it would be easier to navigate with less water. We put our slightly wet clothes back on and started to fish. It began to rain again. We each found a few fish but conditions were tough. And as we fished I could feel my body temperature drop. I started loosing feeling in both my hands and couldn't feel the tips of my fingers. This is crazy I thought. We fished different spots and had the most success near the far side of the point we waded.

Now the conditions were not ideal but we still managed to catch about 25 or so between the two of us (fun Fun FUN). But by the time we had to go back we knew that the rain would not stop and both of us were getting cold to the core. Between the clouds and the end of the day it started getting dark. It was time to go back around the point. We bundled up our clothes and gear, and balanced them on our heads. Brad leads. We struggle with the waves and current, the water was still pretty deep. But Brad makes it. But I am behind. A big wave knocks me off my feet and toward the rocks. I was chest high in water yet was concerned that at the rocks the sand would disappear and go deep adjacent to the rocks. Fortunately, there was sand and not a hole, regained my footing and hurriedly headed toward shallow water before the next wave hit. We both made it.

It took 100% of our concentration and fishing skill to make our trip a successful one. But as we went around the point both times, it took our complete and undivided attention.

Here's the story within the story.

When challenged in life, it is critical to keep our eye on the goal. Know that others have gone before us. Keep our eye on those who are leading us through difficulty, just as I kept my eye on Brad, I trusted in him to lead where I could follow. There are and will be storms in life with unfavorable conditions. >We all have times when we step into deeper water and face a seemingly impossible situation. Sometimes to step back, to go around, to step out of, possibly to wait, and at other times to step in and to go through the deeper water. Life's biggest challenges. It's important to remember that others have gone before us, we can trust that we can make it through. But here's what it takes. It takes our 100% concentration, our 100% effort to make it, nothing but the GOAL in front of us. Remember to trust and have faith we will get where we need to go while at the same time staying completely focussed.

So, how about you? __________ Is there something in life, or in business, or in your family, your faith, or possibly a situation that may seem impossible right now?

May I encourage you?? You -can- make it through this challenge, you can make to the other side. May I encourage you to keep your focus, give it your 100%, your all. Keep your eye on the goal.

There's good 'fishing' on the far side of any challenge, others have gone before us and have shown the way. There's hope on the other side.

Oh, and we did catch about 25 between the two of us, pictured here, the largest size.
Perchin' Dave

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_3943.jpg

pargo lsb
12-04-2012, 02:36 PM
great story... u guys are nuts to do this over the past weekend storm.
trust the bsp were all 16+"
tahnks for sharing

Perchin' Dave
12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
great story... u guys are nuts to do this over the past weekend storm.
trust the bsp were all 16+"
thanks for sharing

Hey Pargo, the largest caught was 13" though I broke off on a larger one (I normally retie after an hour but my hands didn't work) Yes, we -were- a bit nuts to go out with the storm! (er, is that another word for dedicated??!!) Perchin' Dave

bloox8
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you for the encouraging words. I am still young and have many challenges to face so I will definitely take this to heart.

Thien
P.S. Way to beat the waves and get some fishing done.

PlaneKraZ
12-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Beautifully written and presented story, Perchin' Dave. But be careful walking around those holes!
When the going gets tough, .... etc.

PlaneKrazE

frankjz
12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Good one, Dave. It's an important message for all, especially this time of year. The dream beckons. Doubts and fear distract. Focus is the key.

PONTOON
12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Dave,

Your report had me at the edge of my seat thinking. oh no, what's going to happen? I was relieved to read that all was good and the day turned out to be a memorable day on the water with a good friend.:Cool: Excellent Report!:Thumbs Up:

Perchin' Dave
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the encouraging words. I am still young and have many challenges to face so I will definitely take this to heart.
Thien P.S. Way to beat the waves and get some fishing done.

Hey Thien, stay strong and stay the course! To your life-long success, oh yeah! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Beautifully written and presented story, Perchin' Dave. But be careful walking around those holes!
When the going gets tough, .... etc. PlaneKrazE

Hey PlaneKrazE, I would not have attempted this 'crossing' this point on my own. We are normally in knee to waist high water but my friend Brad is fine if it means swimming or getting knocked down. I went a lot faster by following in his footsteps, I definitely would have dumped if I were on my own. Hey thanks! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Good one, Dave. It's an important message for all, especially this time of year. The dream beckons. Doubts and fear distract. Focus is the key.

I definitely felt that way frankjz. Focus FOcus FOCUS! Here's to YOUR best! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Dave,
Your report had me at the edge of my seat thinking. oh no, what's going to happen? I was relieved to read that all was good and the day turned out to be a memorable day on the water with a good friend.:Cool: Excellent Report!:Thumbs Up:

Yes Pontoon, it was definitely a day to remember. It is that S.W.A.T. 'we're gonna make this happen, no matter what' kind of attitude. Here's to our -very best, in fishing and in life, YES! Perchin' Dave

SP Dan
12-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi ya Perchin' Dave,

A very sound moral of story inside of the LIFE'S story inside of a fishing story Sir! Beautifully written indeed!
The attitude in which we approach life's obstacles can at times be considered our.... "BRIDGE".... over troubled waters!

Thanks for sharing yours and your buddies fishing adventure with all of us..........sweet fish count!

Thanx Dave for the great read and pic!

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Way to brave the tough conditions Dave and great story! Not the best situation with the weather and surf, but you stuck it out and pushed through.

Thanks for the awesome read!
Don

DockRat
12-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Glad you made it. Good story about trust and teamwork.
Thanks, DR

fishead
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Good story my pleasure to read thank you

Wingnut
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
The difference between school and life?
In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test.
In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Thanks for the lesson Dave. :Cool:

pargo lsb
12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Pargo, the largest caught was 13" though I broke off on a larger one (I normally retie after an hour but my hands didn't work) Yes, we -were- a bit nuts to go out with the storm! (er, is that another word for dedicated??!!) Perchin' Dave

nuts = most dedicated... hahaha

Perchin' Dave
12-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi ya Perchin' Dave, A very sound moral of story inside of the LIFE'S story inside of a fishing story Sir! Beautifully written indeed!
The attitude in which we approach life's obstacles can at times be considered our.... "BRIDGE".... over troubled waters! Thanks for sharing yours and your buddies fishing adventure with all of us..........sweet fish count! Thanx Dave for the great read and pic! SP Dan <"))><

[B]Well SP Dan, we were ready for that bridge out on the way back, we definitely got the 'chilin' while fishing part down, ha! P.D./B]

Perchin' Dave
12-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Way to brave the tough conditions Dave and great story! Not the best situation with the weather and surf, but you stuck it out and pushed through. Thanks for the awesome read! Don
And thanks Don, this wasn't just another day on the water, more like a day -in- the water. By the time the second rain clouds came to stay, we were already in the 'shower'. But, we did find some fish, enough to get us talking about getting out on the water again by the weekend. To your best! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Glad you made it. Good story about trust and teamwork.
Thanks, DR

Hey thanks DR. Just got off the phone with Brad and asked if he told of our fishing adventure to his wife. "HECK NO!" I want to be able to fish again.:) Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Good story my pleasure to read thank you

Thanks fishead PD

Perchin' Dave
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test.
In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.Thanks for the lesson Dave. :Cool:

Hey Arthur, just got off the phone with Mikey. Looks like you have some "north of LA competition for the wave catcher fisherman in Brad, ha! And Yes, indeed, we passed the test (and will do that again). I appreciate you, take good care! Perchin' Dave

murrieta angler
12-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Hello Dave,
I was with the both of you every inch of that journey...:Cool:
It's crazy how, when threatened by something seemingly as harmless as water, something can scare the bejezus out of you...:Surprised:
But when you prevail, it seems as if you knew you could do it all along, it just makes it that much sweeter...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the share,
Robert
<><