PDA

View Full Version : Central Coast deep sea fishing

Caliyak
12-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I did not know where to place this post so please move if not appropriate.

I am looking for rental fishing boats or guides in the Central Coast: Pismo, Avila, Morro Bay area (shortest drive from my home)

I would appreciate any names and numbers of companies or rental places that you have used. Website would be cool too. I trust you guys and I rather go with your recommendations.

For my 40th bday, my wife is giving me this trip. First time fishing out in the Big Blue.

Thanks

DockRat
12-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Check the Rockfish closure season. Dec 31 south of Pt Conception.
Not sure on central.

DockRat
12-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Check the Rockfish closure season. Dec 31 south of Pt Conception.
Not sure on central.

cutbait
12-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Closure is indeed the 31st.

Patriots sportfishing is the only route I recommend.

No rental boats available anywhere on the CC.

Do yourself a favor and take your own gear as the rental stuff are like power poles. Throw the big swimmies cause the big lings are hot and heavy right now.

Talk to the guys at Patriots and they will stear you in the right direction regarding baits.

I personally throw 6 inch big hammers on a variety of lead heads. 1/2 up to 4 oz depending on conditions

Which Way Out
12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I second Cutbait's advise on this call.

Have fun and Happy Birthday

WWO

Caliyak
12-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you WWO, Cutbait and Dock.

I will get with Patriots soon.

Dumb question: what gear do you recommend? size of line, reel, rod and any other key tols that I would need

lazyfisherman
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
I know this is a late reply, but it would depend on the type of trip you go on. At Avila, they have multiple trips. The 1/2 day and 3/4 day target fish in the deeper waters near the harbor. For these trips, you will be fishing in about 200 ft of water using pretty heavy weights to get to the bottom. Generally used 30-40 lb test and 10 oz - 16 oz of head. They also have a shallow water full day trip on certain days. On these trips, you never fish over 100 ft of water. I generally take bass rods with 20-30 lb test and fish large swimbaits and small jigs. Post up your report after your trip as the fish are generally a good grade of fish.