PDA

View Full Version : What reel would you buy?

geedavell
12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I was in Sports Chalet with the wife and happened to cruise by the fishing rods. I spotted a nice Phenix 2 piece 6' 6". The wife agreed to buy it for a Christmas present. Now I need to decide which reel to buy. What would you guys recommend for trout fishing from a float tube?

EfrenM
12-03-2012, 06:45 PM
i like the shimano sedona they have there for $60

ogrich31
12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Go for the best reel you can afford. How much can you spend on a reel?

geedavell
12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
$1-$100 or so

Cartman
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Are you kidding? Go for an expensive one like a Saros or Stratic Microline! But let me tell you what I do. I have a Symetre 500, one of the really small reels, and I bought an extra spool from Shimano. Maybe I am overly cautious, but fishing with 2# line means you have to do things a little differently. 2# line can get damaged easily so I change out my line (Izor XXX) after each trip. With one of the tiny reels you can change out the whole thing and not even blink. I take the extra spool with me and change out the spool half way through the day keeping fresh 2# line in my reel.

You have to tell us what you end up getting.

Cartman
12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Are you kidding? Go for an expensive one like a Saros or Stratic Microline! But let me tell you what I do. I have a Symetre 500, one of the really small reels, and I bought an extra spool from Shimano. Maybe I am overly cautious, but fishing with 2# line means you have to do things a little differently. 2# line can get damaged easily so I change out my line (Izor XXX) after each trip. With one of the tiny reels you can change out the whole thing and not even blink. I take the extra spool with me and change out the spool half way through the day keeping fresh 2# line in my reel.

You have to tell us what you end up getting.

Frequent Flyer
12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I'd recommend getting a reel in the 1000 series and an extra spool if you plan on fishing other species. I have one spool filled with 2 lb izor and the other with 5 lb. braid. With the braid all you do is tie on a couple of feet of your favorite line and you're good to go for years! The braid also helps during those extra crowded tournaments :Guns:

geedavell
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM
$100 is too little?
I looked up the Stratic. That sucker is $200 !
Must be nice?

angelsfan951
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
pfluger president is a really good reel for the price i own 3 they run 49.99 and 59.99 i belive one is 8 bearing and the other is 10

Frequent Flyer
12-03-2012, 07:48 PM
$100 is too little?
I looked up the Stratic. That sucker is $200 !
Must be nice?
oh it is....haha, i think there is a guy on here who is selling one for $130 though, that's a STEAL

geedavell
12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
I'll have to look for that

Poxy Boggards
12-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Get a Shimano, Symetre, Saros or Stradic. I saw symetres on sale on Amazon on cyber Monday for around $60 bucks. Deal might still be going on, and that is a really nice real for $60 bucks, and comes with a limtied lifetime waranty.

FKNChristopH
12-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Any reel from shimano or diawa in the upper limit of your price range will suffice. A 1000 sized reel is plenty for a float tube fisherman and I use a 1000 sized reel when I fish from my tube.. If shimano had 750 size on most of their reels I'd probably go with that one because I can usually chase down some fish if need be.

Gl with your purchase and don't forget to let us know and take pictures!

*shakkaa*

cutbait
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
President hands down...

Spending 200 on a stradic is uber retarded.

Even if, theoretically speaking the president wore out (which it doesnt) you could replace it 4 flippin times for those high end wastes of money..

phishin phool
12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd go Shimano, way higher quality than Pflueger and way better customer service if you ever have problems, which I doubt you will. If you wan't to keep in under $100 go with the Symetre in 1000 size, a great reel. For another $50 go with the new Saros. I just picked one up, sweet reel. I have 2 Ci4s and 1 Saros and a Sedona....great reels. I tried a President a couple years ago and it just seemed cheap to me. The Pflueger Patriarch is a sweet reel though. Just my 2 cents.

Poxy Boggards
12-04-2012, 11:52 PM
President hands down...

Spending 200 on a stradic is uber retarded.

Even if, theoretically speaking the president wore out (which it doesnt) you could replace it 4 flippin times for those high end wastes of money..

I disagree with your point of view on the Stradic. The higher end reels weigh less. If you intend to hold your rod, and cast hundreds of times during each outing, that weight difference can make a huge difference in the fatigue that you feel from repetitive motions like jigging.

geedavell
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I have decided on the Phenix but now another question. I noticed the 2 piece rods have different break points. the Straight handle breaks about 18" from the butt but the "split handle" breaks just about in half. Seams as thought the split handle would be easier to pack around. Any disadvantages to this rod?
And I guess I'm "uber retarded" because I bought the Stradic 1000. $179 minus 10% at Sport Chalet

jowo
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
If you haven't bought it yet, you sure you want a 6'6 rod? I thought most of the ultralight trout guys fished 7-8 foot rods...

geedavell
12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm looking at the 7' ( 2 piece)

MonSteRR
12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
The Shimano Symetre 1000Fj are on sale at Sports Chalet for $74.95, reg. Price $99. Right now on website

dotbomb
12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Phenix Mirage (moderate action, great jig rod) breaks right above the handle. Phenix Elixir (fast action, better worm rod and great all around rod that could jig) breaks about in half.

I have Pfleuger Patriarchs on both of mine. I went Pfleuger for the spare spool. I also have the Stradic Ci4 1000 and love it, but that is on a different rod. The Symetre FJ's are gone from Amazon but I picked up 2 of those for $60 each and they are nice reels.

Check the Sport Chalet website for the price on the Phenix rods. The website has them on sale but some stores don't have them labeled and when I bought mine the store computers were not updated yet.

geedavell
12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Check the Sport Chalet website for the price on the Phenix rods. The website has them on sale but some stores don't have them labeled and when I bought mine the store computers were not updated yet.

They told me the same thing. they weren't on sale but I had the guy check the website. he gave me the sale price and another 10% off for applying for their credit card.

thanks for the explanation but the size of the break down size