PDA

View Full Version : 12/1 surf fishing with daughter

Nub
12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Great morning in the surf even though it was drizzling and surf was pretty rough. My daughter caught her first BSP along with many more, together we caught 18. They were annihilating the berkley sand worm and one took a rapila. Current was to strong for anything else, it was wrapping my 4oz sinker back up on beach. Unfortunately we had quite a few casualties due to them just swallowing the hook to badly. They will be awesome fried up this weekend though! 6am-12pm just south of magu. Largest one was 14"

SP Dan
12-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Hi Nubs

Nice fish report!
Congratulations to your daughter for her new species "BSP"! WTG!

Keep up the good work in the trenches and enjoy your fresh fish fry!

SP Dan <"))><

fishshep
12-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Nice Catchin !!! :Big Grin:

"Camping on beach this weekend" :Big Grin:

That brings back a lot of good memories of camper camping

at Rincon :Big Grin: Perchin and clammin for days on end !!

bones
12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Great job out there pops. Your little lady looks proud of her catch. I don't know where fishep got the idea you were camping....did I miss something?
Anyways...... I have three children. I learned that if I upsized the baits to bigger grubs and a size 1/0 hook and then told them to play keep away with the baits it resulted in a much lower fatality rate and prevented gut hooking the perch 99% of the time.
It pretty much gave me some fishing time instead of constantly hearing ..... "Dad....it swallowed the bait again". With three kids tossing crack.....You might as well just give up trying to fish yourself unless you have a plan.I don't know what you use to remove the hooks but a pair of stainless steel hemostats will cost you 3 dollars at harbor freight. They are priceless when it comes to removing hooks and the 1/0 hook never makes it down their throat. Don't be mistaken either...... an 8 inch perch can still get a bigger grub and 1/0 hook in their mouth but the dinks won't be able to do so.
Hope this helps a bit sir ..... thanks for sharing your adventure with your daughter. May there be many more.

Tight lines to you and your daughter always ....... Have a Very Merry FISHMAS !

Nub
12-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys , and thanks bones yeah I have some hemostats and I'm going to move it up to a 1/0. I could only imagine with three my 1 keeps me busy and I have one more up in coming he's 3 and just caught his first blue gill this summer so much fun. You guys really help with the learning curve, this was my second time surf fishing, new species, new setups! Usually in my yak salt and fresh, charter boat, occasionally the pier and have a boat and place at pine flat res, I just love doing it all but I'm really getting into the surf fishing because its a lot of fun and easy with the kids. Thanks again!

bloox8
12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Taking your kids fishing is the way to go! Luckily for my future kids, I am still young so I still have a lot of time to accumulate more knowledge on fishing :LOL:

Hope those taste amazing! Thanks for the report

Thien