PDA

View Full Version : 12/2 shore

tall tales
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Well got to the lake 4th in line. At my spot at 635 threw the hudd and 6" spro for nothing. Had a few follewers butnothing to commit. This trip number 10 with the big baits but I'm not going to stop. I could of had a 500 fish year but I want the big girl. I mostly fish the east side from shore and know some good spots that hold the big girls. Guess I have to keep throwin like everyone says. It is tough for me not to get frustrated when I normally get at lest 3 in my 4 hour tours to the jewel. I know that hard work pays off. One thing is for sure I have met some really cool Bank Robbers out there. I'll be back the next day off and hopefully not go home just with a sore arm. Keep throwing.

CL SmooV
12-02-2012, 04:31 PM
KEEP chuckin......

When you set that hook in a pig be sure to post her up.

Smoov

matt duarte
12-02-2012, 11:05 PM
I feel your pain for sure I go out there all the time and toss big baits all day the longest day at Dvl was 10 hrs and got nothing but followers all day a lot of big ones to! But they don't commit but like u said you just gotta keep tossing them..I got the same mentality right now I've caught plenty of fish from 1-8lbs now I want the 10 plus lol but I'd be stoked for a 2lber to slam a 8-10" bait haha. Keep tossing them dude ill prolly see you out there one day ill be the long haired bearded hippi tossin big baits lol

Sublime-Steve
12-03-2012, 06:06 AM
first off. THANKS FOR THE REPORT! im not a swimbait guy and dont think ill ever be but its sure fun to watch ppl throw them things all day while i catch dropshot and senko fish. with that said ive seen the biggest bass of my life chase in a hudd @ skinner.. talk about a rush.. i couldn't imagine catching something like that but i just cant afford all that gear right now. If you read mike long's stuff he catches just as many pigs on jigs as swimbaits.. so ill stick to the jig for now. Do you ever let a senko soak while u chuck a swimbait? ANYONE?

DarkShadow
12-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Every time I hear people say, "Just keep throwing the big baits over and over...." it reminds me of Einstein's quote, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

On the only guide trip I took to DVL, the guide, who is pretty adept with throwing the big baits, picked up the swimbait rod about 5 times, and nailed 2 fish over 6 pounds in those 5 casts. He then put the swimbait stick down and proceeded to nail other big fish with other baits without even looking at the swimbait rod again.

When I asked how he approached swimbait fishing, he simply said "You've gotta know when, where, and why you're throwing the swimbait. Just tossing it over and over without a plan is a great way to get toned shoulders and nothing else. If the fish aren't keyed in on it that particular moment in time, it's useless to just keep throwing over and over."

Food for thought....

dday07
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Makes me laugh how guys chuck those swimbaits all day and maybe come away with a 8lb. and i'll use a variety of lures and get 7 or 8 fish and a couple in the 6lb range...i'll take that any day!

carpanglerdude
12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Makes me laugh how guys chuck those swimbaits all day and maybe come away with a 8lb. and i'll use a variety of lures and get 7 or 8 fish and a couple in the 6lb range...i'll take that any day!

:LOL: :Razz:

KingShad
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Been throwing big baits for 4 years only 1 8lb striper no largies. I just dont know when and where so I gave up. Einstein's quote is correct. If you dont learn the correct way its a waste. I gave up

radray
12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't think it is for anyone to judge how a person fishes. If a guy wants to chuck big baits all day and he is enjoying himself, why judge or feel the need to laugh? There are so many style of fishing and so many target species that we all don't have to fish the same way provided we all abide by the rules and regulations. We fish because we enjoy it. Let a person fish the way they want and only comment or critique when asked. Because one is not successful in a particular style of fishing who is to say that person is not successful? As for guides they are a wealth of knowledge, but they are not the final say when it comes to fishing. Learn from them and adapt to your style. Just enjoy fishing and help when asked for it.

When it comes to fishing, what is there to understand. Why do we buy certain gear? Why pay so much for certain lures? Why buy all these other accessories? In the end it does not matter as long as we enjoy it. Fishing is what brings us all together in this forum one way or another.

Happy holidays to all and may you all catch your personal best. Fish On.

Raymond

Dr. MindBendo
12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Nothing gets the heart pumping like when you see a DD LMB underneath your swimbait getting ready to strike! Keep on chuckin.

SEA ADDICTION
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Well got to the lake 4th in line. At my spot at 635 threw the hudd and 6" spro for nothing. Had a few follewers butnothing to commit. This trip number 10 with the big baits but I'm not going to stop. I could of had a 500 fish year but I want the big girl. I mostly fish the east side from shore and know some good spots that hold the big girls. Guess I have to keep throwin like everyone says. It is tough for me not to get frustrated when I normally get at lest 3 in my 4 hour tours to the jewel. I know that hard work pays off. One thing is for sure I have met some really cool Bank Robbers out there. I'll be back the next day off and hopefully not go home just with a sore arm. Keep throwing.

One suggestion for fishing swimbaits at dvl, either early morning or late afternoon has been the best times for me. Also, most people are trying to get distance when casting, try casting 3-5 feet off the bank. You want your swimbait to represent the real thing and the trout these big lmb and stripers are after tend to follow the shoreline tight. Over 50% of the swimbait fish that do actually commit are hooked less that 10' from the shore. Those long/shoreline cast really work the bite zone. This works well for me, give it a shot next time.

ToadsToadsOnly
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Keep on chucking bro, you soon will post up a 12lb LMB or 30lb Striper and you will never put the swimbait rod down during trout stocking season. Something that helped me out drastically is talking to the locals and soaking in their tips and recommendations then applying it during the right conditions. Google is your best friend read articles watch videos it will help you out a lot. This year have been kind of weird at DVL with all of the huge browns and lassens being stocked it seems to me like the fish are not blowing up like they were in the previous years. The trout are just to big for average size fish to eat so the frenzy crazy frenzy does not happen.

Senor Rambone
12-04-2012, 07:05 AM
We were second in line that morning and it was tough. Ive seen Tall Tales out on the bank every weekend.... he is definately committed. Your time will come bro.