PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T.’n some numbers, post Thanksgiving

bachiboy
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I couldn’t fish the weekend cuz I had to attend a family reunion in Vegas. At the same time I tried to win back some money from all the lost LCs over the last year....pfffft. That didn’t work out too well, but at least I didn’t lose any money. Pretty much broke even. SO, I figured what the heck...I didn’t lose money, which I was realistically planning on doing...I might as well spend that money on new LCs anyway. Nothing special, just replacements for the fallen. Since work was dead this week, I decided to make up for lost fishing time.

On Tuesday, I went to a A.O. that I had only been to once before with a few of the guys, including our fearless leader. That day looked prime but didn’t yield anything that day, so I thought I’d give it another go since I had a little more time to kill than my normal weekday outings. I got a late start since I had to drop off my son at preschool, so first cast wasn’t till just before 10am. Well, it didn’t seem to matter to the fish cuz by the 4th cast it was game on with my first pancake of the day. Shortly after followed by a torpedo. I hooked another mystery fish that took a decent run that unbuttoned, but I’m pretty sure it was a SNGF, cuz there was quite a few lurking about in front of me...at least that’s what I’ll keep telling myself.:Rolls Eyes::whistle: There was quite a bit of life around with a bunch of baby leos and, surprisingly for this time of year, a ton of beans cruising...a couple real brutes too.:Shocked: Of course the corbina wanted nothing to do with what I had to offer.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/hali1.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/smelt.jpg

Worked up and down the beach for about another hour and a half for one more small pancake on the dropshot.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/hali2.jpg

Around 1:00, the tide really started to fall and the clouds moved in a bit. There was some kelp that was finally coming into casting range so I sent the DS flying out there. I don’t think it even had a chance to sink and BAM, fish on. Get it up and it’s about a 14” calico. He inhaled it pretty good so I didn’t want to waste time with the measuring tape. I pulled out the fluke, cut the line and sent him on his way to let the hook rust its way out. Figured he’d have a better chance at surviving than me tearing him up to remove the thing. Did a quick re-tie of my DS (is there such a thing?) and sent it back out to the kelp. Instant hook up again...another checker. Little smaller model but still fun. I’m thinking...this is cool, never got more than one calico in a session.:Dancing Banana:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/bass1.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/bass2.jpg

As the tide kept falling, I switched back to the LC to work through all the pockets of kelp that was starting to pop up. After a few casts, I get a blow-up as I’m lifting the LC out of the water. Carpet bomb the area again but he doesn’t come back. Move a few yards and another blow-up as I lift the LC from the drink. Again, plaster the area for nothing. No matter how many times it happens, it always shocks the crap out me when they blow-up the surface like that as I lift the LC out...capped off with a loud “OH S*&T!” Move down a ways and finally tap into one. Not legal but tapes out at about 19”. Wow, three in a session...definitely more action than I’ve seen in one day. I usually have to wait a month to have enough pictures to post a decent report.:LOL:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/hali4.jpg

Work down more and get one more checker and a chunky bsp to round out the count. No legal, but better numbers than I’ve ever put up in a session...not counting BSP targeting.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/bass3.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/bsp.jpg

So, final tally:
(3) flatties
(3) calicos
(1) smelt
(1) bsp

...oh, and two more lost LCs.:Angry: Don’t ask, cuz I don’t want to know how many that is for the year anymore:Idiot:, but I’ll take these losses for that fish count.

Went out yesterday but didn’t have enough time for a return visit to the same locale. I wanted to get in one more “quickie” before the storm moved in. Work the beach down with the LC for nothing. Worked back up for a short flattie.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/hali3.jpg

Got a call from Robert (Murrieta Angler) and he tells me that he’s thinking of hitting up the spot I was at the day before. I give him the intel and he tells me that Lt. Bones is supposed to be at my locale. I look around but don’t see anyone...at first. Then I see a little head poke out from behind a rock about a quarter mile away.

I keep fishing and work my way up toward him. The tide started falling again and some kelp comes within casting range. I figure “maybe a repeat of yesterday’s luck?” Well, not reallly...I get the hit and get smoked instantly into the kelp.:Spank: I call over to Mike and tell him to get over here and hit that kelp. We end up just talking while I re-tie my DS. First cast back to the kelp and BAM...only that comes with a quick POP! Connection failure to my short topshot...guess it was a “little” weak from the prior days fun and the last “smokage”. My dumba&* didn’t redo my topshot cuz I wasn’t planning on fishing...just threw the rods in the car just in case I had some time after my errands.:Slap: Okay, feeling pretty lame at this point:Embarrassed:, but I guess Poseidon figured I had enough fun the day before so he’d take a turn at it. Just to rub it in a bit more he lets me lay into another fish just to have it unbutton. I thought the two lost LCs the day before were payment enough but he always seems to want to one-up me.:Spank::Neener Neener::Beat Stick::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Can’t complain though, he did give me the best day I’ve had since I started throwing the LC and DS from the surf.

Hope you enjoyed the read and that you all had a great Thanksgiving! :Wink:
Don

bbqsushi
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I agree. The two LC's are worth WAY less than being able to pull on all those fish. And, AT LEAST YOU GOT TO GO OUT FISHING!!! I finally get a free Sunday, and what, rain and 10ft surf in the forecast. Great....

Way to go, as usual.

Nate

blackwater
11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Great numbers for sure man. My new year resolution will be to fish with my SWAT brothers more next year! :Wink:

dlmoo312
11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Congrats on the multi-species outings.
Sorry to hear about the lc casualties, but for a surf-fisherman, losing lc's is inevitable!
I won't ask how you lost them.. although I am kinda curious:LOL:
On the bright side, sounds like you got into some good action and you did manage to hook into a bunch of fish!
Con't complain about that!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Wingnut
11-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Don, you now hold the outright lead on the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board in the "Lost LC's" category. :LOL:
Looks like you were doing a lot more catching at that A.O. than the last time we were there. :Big Grin:
Crazy swells out there right now... maybe I'll take the S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel out and hunt some Stripers this weekend. :Wink:
Excellent job on the recon soldier! :Cool:

murrieta angler
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweet numbers indeed Don!!!
Nice job getting the calicos...:Wink:
That area is great at low tide.
You should have seen it when there was a ton of kelp close in...:EyePop:
Keep it up and get a legal from there.........I still haven't...:Rolls Eyes:
Take Care Bro
Robert
<><

fishshep
11-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Nice Catchin !!!:Smile:

I see two diff. LC,s But I like the one

with the red slashes, looks like an injured

bait fish ! :Smile:

bloox8
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Nice fish outing Don :High Five: Now if only you had this amount of luck at Vegas....your LC issues wouldn't have been such a big problem :LOL::LOL: Actually, its not that funny.. I would be devastated if I lost more than one. I hope their sacrifices convinces Poseidon to reward you with all the monster fish you need to put you on the top of every SWAT challenge and then some :Big Grin:

Great job out there. Tell the next Calico you catch to bite onto my LC so I can check him off my check-list

Thien

jinbow
11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Great action out there Don, you hooked a lot of fish that day.
Thanks for the report and pictures.
See you soon.

PONTOON
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Great report and pics Don!:Cool:

You had a very impressive couple of days and I'm sure there will be plenty more for you in the near future. I'm also looking forward to the day when we see your son out there with you.:Thumbs Up: Just think about the Lucky Craft bill then!:Envious:

Good to see you out on the water and keep the reports coming,:Thumbs Up:

SP Dan
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi ya Don!

It seems as though I am limited these days to just reading about the adventures that my friends are having.
Give me a PM soon for when and where, so that we may spend a little salt time together! I have completed my CEU Seminars.
Maybe we can improve your knot which could decrease your lure loss numbers. Who knows?!?!?

I really enjoyed reading your fishing post with pic's Brotha!

PS......can you see my avatar? :ROFL: ha ha ha!

SP Dan <"))><

DockRat
11-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Great read and pics, thnx. DR

bones
11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Finally made it back to my casa this morning Don......My GF kidnapped me and forced me to eat comfort food for two days...LOL
Gotta update her sometime on the PC ..... Can't stand her half broken Mac!

Your reports are always inspiring my friend. Your determination at Dropshotting after the LC assault is what it is all about. Seems like it always pays off for you in the end. Keep up the good work out their soldier. Time for all of us to regroup over the next few days in order to make our last 30 day assault on 2012. I bet something BIG is going to happen!

Talk to ya soon brotha-----------<><

bachiboy
11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I agree. The two LC's are worth WAY less than being able to pull on all those fish. And, AT LEAST YOU GOT TO GO OUT FISHING!!! I finally get a free Sunday, and what, rain and 10ft surf in the forecast. Great....

Way to go, as usual.

Nate

Whenever I have a bad day of fishing, all I have to do is think about you and you're situation and know I probably shouldn't be complaining...that or you'll just straight out tell me that when I call you for a report. I would say that we should get on our damned mtn bikes since the surf is up but the rain doesn't look like it's going to leave anytime soon. Maybe hit up next week? :Wink:

QUOTE=blackwater;642266]Great numbers for sure man. My new year resolution will be to fish with my SWAT brothers more next year! :Wink:[/QUOTE]

Man, I am anxiously awaiting your return to the surf...and want to be there when that happens. :Wink: Hope you and the family had a great Thanksgiving and have an awesome holiday season!

Congrats on the multi-species outings.
Sorry to hear about the lc casualties, but for a surf-fisherman, losing lc's is inevitable!
I won't ask how you lost them.. although I am kinda curious:LOL:
On the bright side, sounds like you got into some good action and you did manage to hook into a bunch of fish!
Con't complain about that!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! As for the LCs, the first 6 or 7 lost were from experimenting with braid, short topshots and hollowcore connections that I use tuna fishing. It DEFINITELY didn't translate to what we do in the surf. Most of the rest came from fishing in lots of structure. Only one was lost in a fish...SNGF of all things. The one consolation is that I've been fishing more over the last couple of months which probably added to the chances of higher losses. Losing these last two didn't sting as bad because of the trade-off for a good days catch!:Wink:

Don, you now hold the outright lead on the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board in the "Lost LC's" category. :LOL:
Looks like you were doing a lot more catching at that A.O. than the last time we were there. :Big Grin:
Crazy swells out there right now... maybe I'll take the S.W.A.T. Assault Vessel out and hunt some Stripers this weekend. :Wink:
Excellent job on the recon soldier! :Cool:

I think this is one catagory that I don't want the lead in...but, it kinda goes with the name anyway. Good luck out there if you happen to go jailbird hunting!:Wink:

Sweet numbers indeed Don!!!
Nice job getting the calicos...:Wink:
That area is great at low tide.
You should have seen it when there was a ton of kelp close in...:EyePop:
Keep it up and get a legal from there.........I still haven't...:Rolls Eyes:
Take Care Bro
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! I pushed through the time that I was supposed to vacate the area (and paid for it when I got home to the wife), but it was worth the chance with all the life that started to spring up. It was a really nice day out there...even sans-legal! :LOL:

Nice Catchin !!!:Smile:

I see two diff. LC,s But I like the one

with the red slashes, looks like an injured

bait fish ! :Smile:

Thanks FS! Actually, you'll notice the first couple fish came on an Anchovy, with custom "racing stripes", then there's one with a custom sardine pattern I created. Those two were the casualties of battle. The last one is a custom smelt I painted, with "racing stripes". :Wink: The anchovy and the smelt actually had glow in the dark paint in the gills,"racing stripes" and blue of the smelt stripe for when I go at grey light...does it make a difference? Who knows? Can't say that I've caught all that many fish while it's still dark...but it looks pretty. :LOL:

Nice fish outing Don :High Five: Now if only you had this amount of luck at Vegas....your LC issues wouldn't have been such a big problem :LOL::LOL: Actually, its not that funny.. I would be devastated if I lost more than one. I hope their sacrifices convinces Poseidon to reward you with all the monster fish you need to put you on the top of every SWAT challenge and then some :Big Grin:

Great job out there. Tell the next Calico you catch to bite onto my LC so I can check him off my check-list

Thien

Thanks Thien! I think Poseidon's having WAY too much fun without yielding that monster fish to me. :LOL: Be careful what you hope for...all the places I've caught calicos have this tendency to eat LCs.:Evil: Hope we all get out there soon after this storm passes!

Great action out there Don, you hooked a lot of fish that day.
Thanks for the report and pictures.
See you soon.

Thanks Albert! Hope to see you out there again soon!

Great report and pics Don!:Cool:

You had a very impressive couple of days and I'm sure there will be plenty more for you in the near future. I'm also looking forward to the day when we see your son out there with you.:Thumbs Up: Just think about the Lucky Craft bill then!:Envious:

Good to see you out on the water and keep the reports coming,:Thumbs Up:

Thanks Terry! OMG, my son's as accident prone as me. He is currently in a shoulder harness and sling cuz he flew off the swing, dislocated his shoulder and broke his collar bone...all at the ripe ol' age of 2 1/2! I can only IMAGINE how many LC this kid is gonna lose.:Rolls Eyes::ROFL:

Hi ya Don!

It seems as though I am limited these days to just reading about the adventures that my friends are having.
Give me a PM soon for when and where, so that we may spend a little salt time together! I have completed my CEU Seminars.
Maybe we can improve your knot which could decrease your lure loss numbers. Who knows?!?!?

I really enjoyed reading your fishing post with pic's Brotha!

SP Dan <"))><
Hey Dan, glad to hear you made it through those seminars. They sounded a little rough on the sleepin schedule. I'll let you know when I'll be heading out again for sure. I wish it were as simple as knots that were my demise...or my LCs' at least. Then I could just change knots. I don't think I've actually lost one of my LCs to the knot...dropshot is a different story and that happened cuz I got too lazy to redo the connection.:Rolls Eyes: I'm having structure issues these days. It didn't help that I just backed off one of the V-brake sliders on my Curado to get some extra distance. It casts great, but I get the "professional overruns" a little more than I'd like and it's been kinking my line when I pull it out. That's how I lost the second soldier. The first one was lost just from me being stupid and casting at the structure on the south end of that AO. Talk to you soon.

Great read and pics, thnx. DR

Thanks DR!

Finally made it back to my casa this morning Don......My GF kidnapped me and forced me to eat comfort food for two days...LOL
Gotta update her sometime on the PC ..... Can't stand her half broken Mac!

Your reports are always inspiring my friend. Your determination at Dropshotting after the LC assault is what it is all about. Seems like it always pays off for you in the end. Keep up the good work out their soldier. Time for all of us to regroup over the next few days in order to make our last 30 day assault on 2012. I bet something BIG is going to happen!

Talk to ya soon brotha-----------<><

Lt. Bones! Glad we were able to fish together again for a short spell. Too bad I kept farming fish!:Rolls Eyes: I gotta imagine that once this storm blows over that the conditions we talked about are gonna happen. Just got my new shipment of soldiers so I'll use this time off of the sand to go paint more racing stripes and other unnecessary graphics on their sides and backs! :Wink::LOL: See you on the battlefield sir!!!

Jaysuuun
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Don, nice session. Those are great numbers considering all the others that popped off. I love how them bass fight. It just sucks when the run straight for the rocks/kelp. Bastards! LOL

bachiboy
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM

SP Dan <"))><

Am I missing a joke here...or am I the butt of the joke? :???::Smile: Cuz I can't see your avatar anymore. I was that day you were asking...on Mac and PC.:Wink:

Don, nice session. Those are great numbers considering all the others that popped off. I love how them bass fight. It just sucks when the run straight for the rocks/kelp. Bastards! LOL

Thanks Jason! Yea, quite the up and down sessions out there...but I'll take it.:Wink: Hope that I get a chance to get a session in with you and Tess soon. Hope the plans for the big day are coming along well. Take care and hope you both have a great holiday season!

SP Dan
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Am I missing a joke here...or am I the butt of the joke? Cuz I can't see your avatar anymore. I was that day you were asking...on Mac and PC.

Not a joke Don!
I can't figure it out!
Arthur and Mike reported that my avatar was missing but you and I could still see it the next day.
The very next following day it dropped off of my computers also.
I don't know what's going on.....Oh well!