PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. My Birthday and the day after..

murrieta angler
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Hit up a new area yesterday, from 8:20 till 1:15ish.
Arrived to nice conditions, pretty flat water with waves breaking every 8-10 seconds.
Forty minutes into it I feel something grab my LC very litely.
I started to reel it in and then see this mouth staring at me. It was big enough to hold a softball...:Surprised:
This new area has a sloped beach that's at least a 45 degree angle and has a trench right at the shore line.
When the fish realizes that it's hooked, it books down the beach, in the trench.
My drag was a little on the loose side and that's good. The fish only had one hook in it, on the trail treble in it's lower jaw...:Neutral:
When a wave came I was able to get it out of the trench, but because of the slope the outgoing water took the fish back into the water.
This happened once, twice, three, four and finally five times.
On the last attempt to bring it to the sand, it did a double flip and straightened out my 2x Owner treble...:Crying:
I estimated this fish to be at least 30" and I was going to finally hit that plateau...:Rolls Eyes:
Oh well, whatya gonna do?!? :Confused:
It would be another 45 minutes before I caught a BSP and then 3 casts later I caught a 23" flatty...:Smile:
I let it go and then worked my way back to my truck.

11/28
Went back to the same location, except at gray light, and was joined by two other anglers, Carlos and Ken.
Within the first 5 minutes, I had a jack smelt, Carlos had a Walleye and Ken, a Smooth Hound Shark.
I was hoping to get that big flatty again, but it wasn't meant to be...:Cool:
I ended the day with 2 jack smelt, 6 BSP and 2 short halis.

I WILL BE GOING BACK TO THAT LOCATION AFTER THE STORMS BLOW THROUGH...:Wink:

Take Care Everyone,
Robert
<><

iLLest
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
ohhh Roberto, so close to the 30" mountain!
congrats on the legal and the farmed beauty...
I see some revenge in the future!
Happy birthday bro

PONTOON
11-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Happy Birthday Robert!:Cool:

I read your post and was thinking to myself "Get 'em Get "em!" and then I felt that feeling of losing a nice fish.:Neutral:

All I can say is that fish will just put you on a more serious quest to break the thirty barrier......It will come Bro!:Thumbs Up:

Wingnut
11-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday my friend!

Good chatting with you today Roberto, the new A.O. sounds promising... :Secret:
I'm glad you tracked down the package I sent. :Wink:

I feel your pain bro... but I have a feeling Santa is going to bring you that 30"+ Hali very soon, because you've been a good boy this year, I hope. :LOL:
The lost prize will keep you on your toes, motivated and wanting to return for a chance at redemption. :Twisted:

Congrats on adding another legal Hali to the Leader Board. :Thumbs Up: The year-end S.W.A.T. Challenge trophies are sitting in my office. :Envious:

I'm out of town until next weekend, but big swells are due to hit anyway... maybe I'll join you the following weekend. :Cool:

Good luck to your Bruins on the rematch with Stanford. :Razz:

dlmoo312
11-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Happy Birthday Robert!
Sorry to hear about the lost hali:Neutral: But i'm glad that you were able to follow it up with a nice legal! Congrats!
Sounds like you're extra motivated now, and i'm sure you'll get one soon:Smile:
I'll be looking forward to your reports. Thanks for sharing!

-Daniel

Which Way Out
11-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Happy Birthday Robert!  aka Bromigo.

Are you sure it wasn't a Salmon????:LOL: Have fun finding him again, at least in your dreams/nightmares.

WWO

SP Dan
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Hola Pistola!

"Happy Birthday"...Roberto! :Flamethrower:

I would have to say that you had a pretty action filled BD Brotha!...... by the read of your report!
It was good to read that you beached yet another legal flattie.....WTG!! :Thumbs Up:

As far as the one that got away after beaching him five times......you know where to find him again!
Just give me a PM of when and where and I'll be your back up brotha! You get it to the sand and I'll tail grab it for you brotha!
I'll guarantee you this.......he won't make it back to the salt unless you decide CPR it!

Thank you for another fantastic read Robert! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

TroutOnly
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Happy b-day old man,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,

bachiboy
11-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Happy birthday Robert! Congrats on notching another legal to your yearly tally but sorry to hear about the lost big-un. That 30+ will be coming soon I'm sure. Not sure if you got a chance to head over to the AO I hit yesterday, but it doesnt sound like it panned out if you did. Hopefully this storm doesn't screw up that new AO you've found and that you get another chance for some payback!

Take care...
Don

bbqsushi
11-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Happy Birthday Robert!! BachiBoy (Don) called me with his usual daily report, and he had bad cell service, (because he was probably driving down the coast, as usual), so all I heard was "mouth as big as a softball..", and "...30 incher..", and then "...came unbuttoned..", and then I screamed in to the phone, "WHAAAAT?????". Man, what a thrill to see your 30" on the line, and Duuuude, what a bummer to see it go before having a chance to officially land him, and do the CPR.

He's still out there. Best of luck gitt'n eem. Hopefully before your next birthday!!

Nate

blackwater
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh man, what a heartbreak Robert. :mad:
I know you've been after that 30 inch flatty for awhile now. No worries bro, you time will come and I know you will do it in grand style. :Wink:
Happy belated birthday!

murrieta angler
11-29-2012, 04:04 PM
ohhh Roberto, so close to the 30" mountain!
congrats on the legal and the farmed beauty...
I see some revenge in the future!
Happy birthday bro
I should have worn my hiking boots for that mountain...:LOL:
Thanks Frank

Happy Birthday Robert!:Cool:

I read your post and was thinking to myself "Get 'em Get "em!" and then I felt that feeling of losing a nice fish.:Neutral:

All I can say is that fish will just put you on a more serious quest to break the thirty barrier......It will come Bro!:Thumbs Up:

Thanks Terry,
I know it will come again, but that fish gave me the...:Beat Stick:
Take Care Brotha

Happy Birthday my friend!

Good chatting with you today Roberto, the new A.O. sounds promising... :Secret:
I'm glad you tracked down the package I sent. :Wink:

I feel your pain bro... but I have a feeling Santa is going to bring you that 30"+ Hali very soon, because you've been a good boy this year, I hope. :LOL:
The lost prize will keep you on your toes, motivated and wanting to return for a chance at redemption. :Twisted:

Congrats on adding another legal Hali to the Leader Board. :Thumbs Up: The year-end S.W.A.T. Challenge trophies are sitting in my office. :Envious:

I'm out of town until next weekend, but big swells are due to hit anyway... maybe I'll join you the following weekend. :Cool:

Good luck to your Bruins on the rematch with Stanford. :Razz:

As always, good talking with you to Arturo...:Wink:
That area is really sweet and I hope it remains for a while, I think it will...:Secret:
As far as the Leader Board, it's not in my hands...:Cool:
I HOPE UCLA TAKES THIS NEXT ONE!!!!
We will definately fish together before the year is up, remember last year at Dockweiler?!? :Rolls Eyes:
Have A Good Weekend Brotha

Happy Birthday Robert!
Sorry to hear about the lost hali:Neutral: But i'm glad that you were able to follow it up with a nice legal! Congrats!
Sounds like you're extra motivated now, and i'm sure you'll get one soon:Smile:
I'll be looking forward to your reports. Thanks for sharing!

-Daniel

Hey Daniel,
Thanks for the words of encouragement and I will get one...:Death2Above:

Happy Birthday Robert!  aka Bromigo.

Are you sure it wasn't a Salmon????:LOL: Have fun finding him again, at least in your dreams/nightmares.

WWO

I wish it was a salmon, I woulda been diving into that trench...:Beer Toast:
Hope the house is coming along okay!?

Hola Pistola!

"Happy Birthday"...Roberto! :Flamethrower:

I would have to say that you had a pretty action filled BD Brotha!...... by the read of your report!
It was good to read that you beached yet another legal flattie.....WTG!! :Thumbs Up:

As far as the one that got away after beaching him five times......you know where to find him again!
Just give me a PM of when and where and I'll be your back up brotha! You get it to the sand and I'll tail grab it for you brotha!
I'll guarantee you this.......he won't make it back to the salt unless you decide CPR it!

Thank you for another fantastic read Robert! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Where was my wingman when I needed him...:Big Smile: Next time, for sure!!

Happy b-day old man,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Bob...:Smile:

Happy birthday Robert! Congrats on notching another legal to your yearly tally but sorry to hear about the lost big-un. That 30+ will be coming soon I'm sure. Not sure if you got a chance to head over to the AO I hit yesterday, but it doesnt sound like it panned out if you did. Hopefully this storm doesn't screw up that new AO you've found and that you get another chance for some payback!

Take care...
Don

Hey Don,
I didn't end up going. My supplier got me all pissed off...:Angry:
So I just went home...:Neutral:
I feel a S.W.A.T trip coming up real soon...be ready...:Group Hug:

Happy Birthday Robert!! BachiBoy (Don) called me with his usual daily report, and he had bad cell service, (because he was probably driving down the coast, as usual), so all I heard was "mouth as big as a softball..", and "...30 incher..", and then "...came unbuttoned..", and then I screamed in to the phone, "WHAAAAT?????". Man, what a thrill to see your 30" on the line, and Duuuude, what a bummer to see it go before having a chance to officially land him, and do the CPR.

He's still out there. Best of luck gitt'n eem. Hopefully before your next birthday!!

Nate

Hello Nate,
First off, any friend of Dons is a friend of mine...:Wink:
Yeah, it sucked but there was a reason for it and i'll find it out later...:whistle:
Thanks for commenting

Oh man, what a heartbreak Robert. :mad:
I know you've been after that 30 inch flatty for awhile now. No worries bro, you time will come and I know you will do it in grand style. :Wink:
Happy belated birthday!

Ever since you broke your leg...:Rolls Eyes: Just Kidding Phuong :Big Grin:
Thanks for the kind words.
When are you gonna get out?

bloox8
11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Happy Birthday Robert :Big Smile:!!

Sorry to hear about "that one that got away" I am sure hitting that legal butt was just not the same after that. Nonetheless, congrats on the legal! You'll get your 30"+ soon enough. Thanks for the report

Thien

Ifishtoolittle
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Happy belated birthday Robert. Sucks about the lost fish, but you didn't get skunked. Can't complain too much right? :Big Grin: You'll get em' soon I know it.

Re8elmonk0341
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Happy Birthday, stay young and fishy my friend.

bones
11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Roberto...
First of all...Happy BD Brotha. Sorry for the late response but MY GF kidnapped me and has been holding me hostage in Topanga Canyon. I'm not complaining but she HAS to give up the 5 year old half broken MAC and get a PC I understand....LOL
As always bro.....Nice write up and adventure on the sand. When you called me about the lost big girl my heart just sank for you but you were still rewarded a legal for your efforts. I put down some footprints in the sand also the day we talked but just came up with one perch...one croaker and one SNGF for the day. Sometime you just gotta take what poseidon hands you for the day.

I hope all is well on the home front buddy. Keep up the good work out there my friend!

psssst...I think our general is healing..... he said "Good Luck" and "Bruins" in the same sentence:ROFL:

Jaysuuun
12-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Robert, happy birthday buddy! Let's hope that 30 is still stuck in that trench waiting for you to comeback. Can't believe it straightened out the 2x treble. Sorry for the loss, but you still ended the day with a legal. Hope to see another report from you soon.

fishshep
12-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Very interesting, and descriptive, written report !!! :Big Grin:

no doubt your thirty is coming ! I mean anybody who can

hunt down those WSB and catch them, is bound to catch a

thirty plus Hali !! :Big Grin:

koifish
12-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Robert
Happy belated Birthday to you