PDA

View Full Version : jumping perch

EfrenM
11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
I went to my local beach on Friday the 23rd it was really foggy I arrived at my spot at 7:30am. I saw alot of bird action and was pleasantly surpised because I had never seen so many before and the rainbow, black and, zebra perch were jumping out. I was able to tell it was those 3 types because they were jumping less than 10 feet in front of me. I got excited of course started casting my LC and had no luck I changed it to a small crocodile to try to imitate the bait fish I caught 2 with that but were to small so i did not bother to take a picture. Twenty minutes after I arrived at about the distance of 15-20 feet I saw a 2-3 ft fish jump out but was not able to tell what type of fish it was though you can all imagine how excited that got me. I then changed it to a half oz jig head with a black and withe fluke at my second cast I got a big hit I was excited because I knew it was a big fish and thought it was the fish I had seen previously after about a 3 min fight I landed a nice cabezon. That has been the biggest cabezon I have caught so far well actually the biggest I have caught surf fishing so far since I am new to surf fishing. If any one has any tips or advice for working the LC I would really appreciate it I usually use an eight pound test line and a 8 ft medium action rod381363813738138

PTN
11-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice fish PM. It's pretty exciting right when you get on the water and already see good signs of life/fish around. As for the LC, you would fish it the same way as the krocodile. Retrieve where you know where the lure is wiggling like the kroc. Try all speeds of retrieve because you never know what action they want that day. I've had some days where I could not get a bite on a slow, steady retrieve and had to rip the lure to get the fish to hit the LC. Just stay confident in your fishing and you're bound to catch fish on it :Smile:.

Good luck out there and there's plenty of information that you can look up on here and everywhere else about surf fishing. Check the stickies on this forum too.

-Peter

murrieta angler
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Nice looking cabbie!
What Peter said is correct.
It will work differently for different rod/reel set ups.
The best thing is time in the surf : )
Robert
<><