PDA

View Full Version : Boat restoration

MikesOcean
11-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Been Wanting to repaint my 99 Crestliner (Aluminum). Any suggestions Where I can go that does a great job at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

cutbait
11-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Been Wanting to repaint my 99 Crestliner (Aluminum). Any suggestions Where I can go that does a great job at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Inside or out or both?

fishinone
11-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Mike,

All you have to do is add latex paint to Castaic Lake and sink your boat in it. :Big Grin:

MikesOcean
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Inside or out or both?

Outside!

Ron your too funny!

fishinone
11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Ron your too funny!

I try to help when I can.

cutbait
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I strongly recommend,,,, strongly.. that you get some quality paint.. like a two part urethane and try those 3 inch foam cabinet rollers.

I used a hplv gun for 90% of mine and 10% I rolled it with the foam and I like the roller better.

I shall put up a post soon on my rebuild

fishmounter
11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Mike- You can do a great job yourself, if you have the time. Check out this great website: www.TinBoats.net Tons of great info on any aluminum boat project. You might get some ideas for other things to do to your boat.

MikesOcean
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Mike- You can do a great job yourself, if you have the time. Check out this great website: www.TinBoats.net Tons of great info on any aluminum boat project. You might get some ideas for other things to do to your boat.

GREAT LINK!!

Lots of interesting read and pics. Thank you fishmounter!

I did decide that I was not going to repaint. I am going to strip off all the paint and refinish the aluminum. Project should start Sunday. I will post pics. When I am done.

trail blazer
12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Mike,

All you have to do is add latex paint to Castaic Lake and sink your boat in it. :Big Grin:

crestliners wont sink ron,,,,,,,,,,M/O Verified this for us,,,,,,,,,problem with your advised tecknique is that only the back 3/4 on m/o,s boat would receive the new paint,,,,,,,from the steering wheel up it would look as it does now,,,,,,just saying.

TRAIL BLAZER

bruce watson
12-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Has anyone ever checked out a auto paint shop such as Makos for their price on painting an aluminum boat? I know it sounds like a crackpot idea, but I had a truck done there several years ago and it didn't cost that much and looked good for the next couple of years that I owned it. The truck was a Ranger which is about one quarter aluminum panels.

blackberg
12-02-2012, 01:19 AM
make sure you use paint without copper in it, unless you want to create a big battery and eat up your Aluminum
-bb

MikesOcean
12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
boat is coming along ok! A mofo getting out oxidation marks out.

karlow
12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Sand grind patch and prime.
If it's epoxy primer, you did it right.
maybe Zinc chromaite then epoxy.
Don't forget to sand and tack prior to paint, or you will be sorry like me!
Use a two part poly paint. She will be better than new.
PS start by getting two good respirators. That way you want die during the refit!
That two part paint will clear out a two or three house radius!
I sh3t you not! If not, you got the wrong paint!

cutbait
12-05-2012, 06:00 AM
Sand grind patch and prime.
If it's epoxy primer, you did it right.
maybe Zinc chromaite then epoxy.
Don't forget to sand and tack prior to paint, or you will be sorry like me!
Use a two part poly paint. She will be better than new.
PS start by getting two good respirators. That way you want die during the refit!
That two part paint will clear out a two or three house radius!
I sh3t you not! If not, you got the wrong paint!

FACT!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting close to having my boat rebuilt, going to post up soon.

Mike isn't painting though Klow, hes going for the "Chromed out look"

karlow
12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
WTF chrome?
So we are talking buff buff buff till she shines like chrome?
A whole fing boat!
You know when you are done it's only going to shine for a a few days after she hits the water.
He could paint it silver, that would not be my choice, but he could if he just had to have that bling!

karlow
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
WTF chrome?
So we are talking buff buff buff till she shines like chrome?
A whole fing boat!
You know when you are done it's only going to shine for a a few days after she hits the water.
He could paint it silver, that would not be my choice, but he could if he just had to have that bling!

Karyn
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Looking forward to seeing your finished product. . Im going to start stripping mine in about a week.... Let the fun begin!

MikesOcean
12-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing your finished product. . Im going to start stripping mine in about a week.... Let the fun begin!

Get ready to sand, sand, sand, sand, and sand! Just when you think your done sanding, keep sanding. Haha. Lots of elbow grease! I can't believe what I got myself into! Well, I'm into deep and can't stop now. Only problem, kinda bummed cuz I'm going crazy not fishing.

I'm using Shark Hide. We will see how it goes. Not cheap!

I'm still a couple weeks away from being done. I'm sure I can add tips when this is done.

fishmounter
12-08-2012, 09:02 AM
A bright "chrome" reflective boat will scare fish away more so than a flat color. Actually a light blue boat is suppose to be more camouflaged to fish because of the blending with the sky.

cutbait
12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Hes going to paint a black dot up towards the bow and scale pattern with a hind of chartruese lateral line and go for a "shad" pattern to draw em in...

So crazy it just might work?

fishmounter
12-08-2012, 09:14 AM
You know cutbait.. I've heard of ocean fishing guides having a school of baitfish painted on the bottom of their boat's hull to help attract gamefish. Mikesocean can hire me and I'll airbrush in a whole school of Threadfin Shad!