PDA

View Full Version : Sum Fun Halibut Derby & Bassin' - Thanksgiving Weekend

Jackpot Jimmy
11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Sum Fun Halibut Derby – Friday, November 23

My dad and I made our resos three weeks in advance for the Halibut Derby trip the day after Thanksgiving, and we were highly recommended to do so by our friend and derby regular Jeanne as derby days often fill up fast. A lot of the Saturday regulars would also be going as they got the day after Thanksgiving off just like us. It’s nice to have good company when you’re waiting for one of those big flat things to bite your bait.

Today’s crew would be Captain Chris Pica, Bryan on cooking duties, and a deckhand whose name I forgot (my apologies). We had a full limited load of 25 anglers, and after grabbing some medium to large sardines to compliment some live squid, we headed out of the harbor in icy cold fog.

We got a few short halibut and some lizardfish on our first drift, which was our fastest of the day (six ounces was barely cutting it). Luckily after moving down the coast, the wind subsided and our drifts became more pleasant (but it was still cold and foggy the whole day). Around mid-morning we had a drift where it started out pebbly and then went to hard bottom/sand. This edge was where angler Kyle Nelson hooked what turned out to be the only legal halibut of the day, a smaller one at 5.2 pounds. But it’s still enough to get on the board!

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/9227/img0025oj.jpg

The drifts for the remainder of the day were at different areas, sandy and hard bottom, shallow and deep. Hard bottom spots are where we usually catch halibut on anchor, but the drifts didn’t produce any halibut, only a few sand bass and some miscellaneous rockfish. A brief moment of excitement occurred when derby regular Paul Pappas hooked into what looked to be the right kind, but ended up being a nice shovelnose guitarfish. That was pretty much it for the day – we gave it an honest effort but only found one legal. As for me, I had one bite on a sardine on the last drift that looked promising.

Sum Fun 10am Half Day – Saturday, November 24

Dad and I also planned to do the half day the next day to at least get some bass fishing in our agenda. We stayed at our friends’ house nearby and headed back down to get in line early for the 10:00 half day – we were in for a full load. Our crew for this trip was once again veteran Captain Chris Pica, Capt. Brian Woolley on his Saturday head chef duties, and Jake as our deckhand. Just shy of a full load, we ended up with 53 anglers.

Mr. Woolley taking up the jackpot…
http://imageshack.us/a/img233/4083/img0026cf.jpg

Capt. Pica went out to make squid the night before, so we were jugged with live squid and see if the bass would respond like they should when we have the candy bait. And sure enough we had a pretty good pick going at the first spot. Our colorful friend (he’s a New Yorker) Lee and I were fishing with eight-pound test – being true sportsmen – and while Lee had a hard time getting bit for some reason, I was getting bit but was losing them to the rocks. Even so, stubborn as a mule, I kept at it, and ended up losing five fish to the rocks. But I wound up getting four nice bass to the boat, at least having a chance to release them myself and not having an LDR. My dad was tied with me with four bass, all calicos. Lee, I think, had one nice sand bass and a big sculpin.

As for the rest, the first big fish of the trip was caught by angler extraordinaire Peggy Stein, who caught a nice sand bass which weighed around four pounds. Not long after, an angler landed a nice big triggerfish, which usually come out to play when Dana Wharf anglers have live squid to pin on their hooks. Later on another angler landed a fat calico that looked as though it could compete with the other two contenders, but the angler was not in jackpot.

Peggy and Capt. Pica with the Nice Grumpy Sand Bass
http://imageshack.us/a/img593/3949/img0027y.png

Fat Triggerfish
http://imageshack.us/a/img51/8289/img0028up.jpg

By the end of the trip, our final count was 52 mixed bass for our efforts, with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff along with that triggerfish. The trigger barely edged out Peggy’s sand bass to take jackpot, and the grumpy was happily released after weigh-up. The fishing was really good. I would have had probably close to a limit if I was fishing heavier line, but one wonders if I would have gotten bit at all. Who knows, but I may have to arm myself with NINE pound test next time around. But all in all, we have a lot of fun and a bunch of laughs – it sure is good fishing with friends.

Jackpot!
http://imageshack.us/a/img23/2415/img0031zba.jpg

Ifishtoolittle
11-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Great report Jimmy good times with the old man for sure. It's amazing how those JP fish only take the cake by a few ounces.

Don't you just love fishing the light stuff for bottom fish and bass? Go with 10lb izor xxx next time! That stuff is so freakin' strong!

bloox8
11-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Very nice detailed report. Sorry you guys weren't able to boat a nice sized legal to get placed in the derby, but don't give up! There's still plenty of time :Big Grin:
As soon as I get some money, I'm probably going to enter in to the derby. Hopefully I'll see you guys on the final boat :Cool:

BTW, you are pretty brave to go with the 8lb test. I would be devastated to lose a MONSTER because of my line lol. Just last week I randomly hooked up on a yellow tail at Catalina on the Pursuit using 12lb test. Unfortunately for me, after 15 minutes of fighting, I wasn't able to muscle him away from the anchor and round and around he went.. then SNAP! Oh well :LOL: Moral of the story, you never know what you might land.

Thanks for the awesome report. Good luck on your next trip

-Thien

DockRat
11-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Saw the Tradition heading into Fish Harbor Terminal Island last week.
Maybe a fuel run ? Wonder what landing it will move to ? Any info JJ ?
DR

Tunaslam
11-26-2012, 08:56 AM
A couple of fun days on the water, too cool! Fine job.

Jackpot Jimmy
11-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Great report Jimmy good times with the old man for sure. It's amazing how those JP fish only take the cake by a few ounces.

Don't you just love fishing the light stuff for bottom fish and bass? Go with 10lb izor xxx next time! That stuff is so freakin' strong!

It's funny because a few weeks ago were were fishing structure and between Lee and I, we caught 20 sand bass on 8 pound test and didn't lose too many fish to the rocks. In the past though fishing Dana Point when we've had live squid, I've used 15 pound test. I think next time around if they'll eat it, I'll fish it.

Thanks for stopping by, Bryan!

Very nice detailed report. Sorry you guys weren't able to boat a nice sized legal to get placed in the derby, but don't give up! There's still plenty of time :Big Grin:
As soon as I get some money, I'm probably going to enter in to the derby. Hopefully I'll see you guys on the final boat :Cool:

BTW, you are pretty brave to go with the 8lb test. I would be devastated to lose a MONSTER because of my line lol. Just last week I randomly hooked up on a yellow tail at Catalina on the Pursuit using 12lb test. Unfortunately for me, after 15 minutes of fighting, I wasn't able to muscle him away from the anchor and round and around he went.. then SNAP! Oh well :LOL: Moral of the story, you never know what you might land.

Thanks for the awesome report. Good luck on your next trip

-Thien

Funny you mention that about Catalina. I hooked a yellowtail at Blue Car (south of Avalon, north of Quarry Pt.) on 8 pound test with the exact same reel I was using today, and I had this thing straight up and down on the outside of the kelp for about 10 minutes or so when, all of a sudden, it made a turn for the kelp, and that's all she wrote.

Regarding the halibut, Brandon Hayward made an interesting comment about them in his blog --> http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=2073&AuthorID=59063&t=NOVEMBER
Last year though, at this time, there were much more than two legal halibut caught for the derby. But then again, the whopper last year wasn't caught until late February. You're right - it's certainly far from over!

Thanks for stopping by, Thien!

A couple of fun days on the water, too cool! Fine job.

Thanks Cory!