PDA

View Full Version : one that got away

oldschoolfishin'
11-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I had the afternoon off as the wife wasn't feeling good, and had laid down for a nap. I took the tube to sail cove in search of the recent trout plant at Perris. I rigged for trout...4 wt rod, black streamer, black flash-back midge trailer on 5x tippet. I went out to join the boats outside the buoys near the fishing dock. I saw only a few fish on my fish finder, but hooked a large bass on the trailer. It jumped once to show off, than ran down and away from me before hooking me to something on the bottom and breaking my line. Nice fish, but it now became....
maybe tomorrow I'll try again.

CrownTown
11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
It must have been awesome to hook into a decent sized bass on a 4 wt, even if only for a minute or so.

And you hooked it on the little midge trailer? I didn't know bass ate little midges. I've tried a wooly bugger with a midge trailer a few times and have only caught pan fish. Just curious, were you using full sink line and where were you fishing in the water column if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks for the report, and way to go!

oldschoolfishin'
11-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I use a full sink line, black streamer,a variation on a wooly bugger, trailer is a size 14 black flash-back AP. I had it on until it took me to the bottom and tied me to something there. I had to break the line when there was no response for a few minutes. The streamer was still on the line and the trailer was missing, no residue on the streamer so I assume it took the midge. It surprised me that the trailer was gone. It is hard to believe that a large fish was attracted to such a slight fly. Perhaps it took the streamer and somehow the trailer caught on the bottom? The streamer is barbless and it may have gotten off when the trailer was caught.This is my go-to lake trout setup. I've caught bass before on the streamer. One more fish story to go w all the others. Have fun. I'll probably try again today.

fishmounter
11-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Way to go! At least you got to see the fish before it got off! That's usually what happens to me, and I'm sure lots of other fishermen. You hook into a large, very heavy feeling fish, that's taking out the drag on the reel. The rod is doubled over, then the hook pops out or the line breaks and he's gone! You don't know what it was, or how big! You say a choice word or two and keep on fishing. Oh well, that's all part of fishing.