PDA

View Full Version : Trout Help

darknight63
11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Going to The Jewel on Wednesday, have only fosh for Largemouth or panfish, could use some tips for trout....I know about kasmasters and roostertails, but how about any bait and wait ideas??

thanks

Jim

ben0606
11-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Bait and wait to name a few,

Carolina rig with either swivels with the bullet or egg weight at the top and a very samll sized single or treble hook. I prefer single. You can do the power bait in a small ball, tear drop shape, or roll in your hands for an elongated look. Some don't use scent and others use trout dip, bite on garlic, hatchery scent, or garlic anything. Also have the marshmallow on top of the hook with either a meal worm or nightcrawler. Some use a whole nightcrawler while other prefer a small portion of a nightcrawler. Again some dip in scents and other times all natural. I like the Carolina keepers instead of swivels but never slide the keeper without using pliers as it will fray your line. I'm a 2 lb test type of guy and even prefer 2 lb and never go past 6 for trolling. Others say go higher for trolling but not my style. Hell I use 6 lb for stripers......yea yea I know what am I thinking..........I like the rainbow pb but there are many different rainbow pb such as garlic reg rainbow pb, regular rainbow pb, and the gulp rainbow pb, but also have many different types for my 20 different colors which again sometimes dip it and sometimes not to include using the pb ball at top with a trout worm trailer again with or without scent and many different color combos of trout worms for my many different colors of pb and don't forget your already made mice tails or hell the pb nightcrawler combo. And don't ever ever ever forget the most trusted proven all else fails but always bails the skunk..........the inflated nightcrawler with or without scent. Don't buy the worm blowers as the needles are big, instead get your self some syringes with small gauge needles so smaller penetration holes in the crawler which if you do right, you can inflate a meal worm. Oh yea the drop shotted trout worm but it can be tricky but produces a lot of bites and aggravating misses. Don't ever believe the guy who's slaying using"bubblegum pb" that usually means chartuse pb ha ha ha. Experiment your leader depending on depth and whether your having hits as I go 12-18 inches on average but have gone down to 6 inches it just depends. Used to do the water bobbers too but not as much anymore. Oh yea I have different techniques for each lake, what works at corona sucks at irvine which also works at skinner but is crap at dvl but slays at hemet and does ok at Dixon.

Hope it helps...........experiment and stick with what works for you and believe.......I think I can I think I can or I know I will I know I will.

Slay em good and watch out, a striper just might steal your trout off your hook which is cool but sucks when they steal your trout. Not so cool to reel in what would of been a nice trout only to find he's half eaten And beat to crap. And no i don't use live trout for bait for those who might misunderstand what I'm saying. Get some....

Ben

DrePSP
11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I dont use rooster tails. I went to panther martins.
slidding bobber also wroks. depending how deep the fish are. set it up couple rigs and drift.
at Big bear I trolled a alot with dipsy diver or fish seeker. both at bass pro. I use 8 lb main line (you could use 6 but Ive lost a big fish so I went to 8). dipsy diver is heavier and youll need a heavier set up. the fish seeker has worked for me MANY times. set it up at desired depth and relase line. I release about 100ft. I have my line marked with sharpie. you need to go less than 2 mph. on the end of your diver you can use a snubber (try to get darker or clear color not a bright colored one) then a 4'ft of 4lb leader and your lure. I like to use panhter martins. silver, rainbow or gold. needle fish in same colors and gold/red/black. (chicken wing). you need variations to figure out what they are biting on. try 15, 20, 25 depth, you should be able to see where the fish are hanging out on your fish finder.

JasonH0232
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
How did things turn out at the Jewel yesterday? Any trout?

darknight63
12-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Ended up catching 4 bass, no trout...one of the tougher days I have had there