PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Niguel Nov 21h (from a boat) Another Great day!

allanon
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
So hit up LNL with my fishing buddy, etucker today.
It was a GREAT day!

Arrived in line at 525am was #8. By the time 6am rolled around the line wrapped all the way to back of the parking lot and then about 10 cars towards the front. In 23 visits to LNL over the last year, I have NEVER seen the line that long.

Got in the boat and headed out the inlet/zone 5. First line in water around 630. First fish 642am. Steady bite until around 745-800am when we noticed the fish were biting our lines behind us. So we reoriented ourselves and then it really picked up. As we started to notice more float tubers headed our way from the flats, we moved the boat to the spot and anchored up. After that it was WIDE open. Together we caught 42 fish between 630-1115am. I caught my personal best 12 lb fish! Wohoo!!!!

Fish were biting everything, but were biting powerbait best. Rainbow is all I used. We caught em on micetails, white jigs, green lip ripper jigs, iron lures, and a tormentor lure.

Once it went wide open, it got very crowded in the inlet. We would actually have to wait for the float tubers to move thru before we knew we would get bit. The pattern was we would caught 2-3 fish in a very short period, then suddenly we have float tubers all around, the spot would go quiet, the float tubers would disappear, then it would go wide open again. Rinse repeat, until 1120 or so when I finally landed the 12 pounder.

So here is the story on the 12 pounder. We started noticing her in the water once the sun came out (note the water is only 2.5 feet deep in the inlet. After a bit, my buddy and I would keep a jig rod ready to go and when we saw her, we would cast in front to try and get her to bite. Based on the many lines in the water and the many many anglers that were trying to catch her, she must have looked at well over 50 baits/lures in the water in the 2-3 hours we saw her swimming around us. So its now 11am and I am only using the jig pole because we have 9 fish in the basket. I see her again in the midst of a school of 10-15 fish. I cast in front and see her head turn and start moving directly towards my jig, but she veered off and disappeared. A few minutes later, there she is again, I repeat same as before and I see her head turn towards the jig, and this time she moves in and does not veer off. I am thinking to myself, please, please PLEASE HIT IT!. But nothing, and then she disappears again. Finally right near 1120 or so, I see her again. This time she is in a HUGE school of fish. Probably 20-30. Just insane. I cast in front, see her turn, make a bee line to the where my jig is, and I sitting there PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Then BAM, I can feel the rod go bendo, and see her immediately dart off, I set the hook and give out a yell YYYYEEEEAAHHHHH!!!!
She runs towards the boat, jumps right in front of us and veers off to my right, right thru my buddy's lines. I keep the the line tight and put the tip of rod low to avoid tangling and she runs big time. ZZZZZZZZZ! Love that sound! She runs to the boat on our right while my buddy is pulling in all our lines and pulling up our anchors. Meanwhile she dives under the boat to our right and runs again. ZZZZZZZZZZ!!! I can't see where she went, but the guys in the other boat say she is running like crazy! I keep the line tight and keep the rod tip very low as I don't want to break her off on the bottom of the their boat. (only using 4lb test - its izor so it really is about 5lb test as their stuff always tests over their rating). So I see my line starting to move from right to left under the boat and I think, oh no, she's gonna wrap their anchor line! Sure enough, I see my line now rubbing against their anchor line. They were gracious enough to reel in all their lines, pull up their anchor, and pull up their fish basket. They even cut two of their lines that got tangled up on mine (Thanks guys!). Finally, the line is free! We are now drifting free with no tangles and chasing the fish around, she tires out and we finally land her. WOHOO!!!!! Special thanks to my fishing buddy etucker for pulling in our lines, pulling up our two anchors, and netting her.

We ended up 1 double hook up, and 1 triple hook up.
I was using 4lb izor mono, 4 lb seaguar blue label flouro leader. #10 owner mosquito hooks.
The 12 pounder was caught on the berkley atomic teaser (clear white with yellow tail)

I'll have the pictures up shortly. Still farting around with downsizing them for posting, and gotta put the family to bed.

Edit - Added pictures. Posted more of the 12 pounder

camo
11-21-2012, 09:58 PM
No more pics of that 12 pounder? Glad you had a successful day at lnl

esteban1t
11-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the report, i was suppose to go today but some things came up, of course. How was the crowd ? and do you think the bite will still be good on sunday ?

allanon
11-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the report, i was suppose to go today but some things came up, of course. How was the crowd ? and do you think the bite will still be good on sunday ?
It was very crowded in zone's 4 and 5 if you were shore fishing. Once we found the fish in the inlet, it was crazy crowded there on the lake.
I think the bite will hold up for boaters and float tubers Thanksgiving day, Fri, and possibly sat. Fishing pressure is very heavy on holidays and the weather is going to get warmer on Sat and Sun, but that is just my opinion.
If you are going to try a boat, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't fish from shore on Sunday... Good luck!

BIGBASS MB
11-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Nice fish, thanks for the report...

TUNAVIC
11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Very cool,that must have been some rush when that pig ate your jig!Congrats.

Cya Tuna Vic

LuckyCraft420
11-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Before you even told me about the bite I knew it was a good day fishing out there when I heard your voice. Great job on the 12 pounder Jarod!

jfreud
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
That doesn't even resemble fishing. First of all your in 2.5 feet of water where you can see the fish, you might as well have been at a trout farm where you pay by the pound. It doesn't take much skill to catch fish the way you described. Next time just lean over the boat and net the darn thing.

LuckyCraft420
11-24-2012, 06:51 AM
That doesn't even resemble fishing. First of all your in 2.5 feet of water where you can see the fish, you might as well have been at a trout farm where you pay by the pound. It doesn't take much skill to catch fish the way you described. Next time just lean over the boat and net the darn thing.

You can't help where the fish decide to school up. He could have done the retarded thing and left fish to look for fish, but what idiot is going to do that...?

the dude
11-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I have to agree with Luckycraft420 you gotta fish where the fish are at and at lnl so far this season the fish are in shallow water. congrats on the fish alanon thats a toad!

Surfnsnowboard3
11-24-2012, 02:27 PM

What an idiotic comment.

allanon
11-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Wow, really? So I scouted and found the spot, moved in so we would have good access to it, then fished like crazy until it was time to go. So if I had gone to the flats with everyone else, we end up with 2-3 fish total. That is fishing, then?
Give me a break. What about all the other boats/float tubers casting into that spot? Why weren't they catching 42 fish? They were hooking up, but nowhere near as often as we were. So is that fishing?
My buddy and both figured out what the fish wanted, and took it from there. That isn't fishing?

Lastly, I have fished Laguna Niguel 23 times in 1 year. I have been skunked there 4 times. All that time I have spent on the lake and shore helped me to make the decisions that lead to this great day (along with some advice from my buddy.)
I have paid my dues on that lake, so when the fishing is wide open - that's not fishing?

I'm really curious to see what your definition of fishing is, because it certainly isn't the same as mine.

gamekiller
11-25-2012, 07:27 AM
What an idiotic comment.

What a productive post bro brosef brother :Outta Here: really knocked that one outta the park

@ Allanon, grats on the pig...almost like your bed fishing for a big girl...im sure it was a reaction bite

the dude
11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Don't sweat it allanon, I fish that lake about 3 times a week and I've seen you and your bud there. You guy's are very ethical fisherman you dont snag or net fish and besides it sounds like this guy's just a jerk who doesnt know how to fish. Tight lines Bro

Prowler_Tuber
11-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Dont be an *** and hate on the guy, calling him out on skill is a poor way of being a good sport. There seems to be a lot of haters lately on FNN if you got a problem contact him directly or if you got a problem with what im tell you you can do the same. Leave all the negative comments for your facebook, SHM.

dotbomb
11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Nice fish!

Re: the farm comment/fishing. I've caught native wild goldens in the Golden Trout wilderness on multi day pack trips. I can see the fish and they are usually in about 1-2 feet of water. They are fun to catch for sure (like any fish) but in most places the trout have either arrived by truck or by plane. What's the difference? It isn't like the ones dropped in the high Sierra mountain lakes and streams got a window seat. Sometimes I like to fish w/o a 10-20 mile hike and $200 in gas.