PDA

View Full Version : epic! E~~pic............Fail

OneMoreCast
11-21-2012, 07:26 PM
well....it's a pretty sad day over all.......
went to san clemente, worked the beach near the pier, 7am-10am, no luck.:Skunk:
on my way back home will pass dana point so I figured why not try the jetty today?
haven't been there for a while.
about the 3rd or 4th cast I felt something, but when I tried to reel in it just felt like a dead weight,
so I thought it was just a big piece of kelp.
when it gets close to the jetty I felt it pulling pretty hard, now I realized I got something big!!
after a short good fight I finally saw it, it's some kind of ray!! huge:Titanic:!! biggest fish ever that appear at the end of my line!!!
so I climbed down and try to pull it out of the water.
with no tool, no help (and no experience:LOL:) I ended up pulling the line with my hand.
then.....the magic happened:Shocked:................
the 40# line was holding pretty well, but all of a sudden the hook (owner ssw red finish size 2)got bent !! splash! back to the water it goes........
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/283270_10151097527195855_1223115768_n.jpg
I wanted to grab that tail so bad but I couldn't reach it.......

with a deep sadness I went back up and keep on fishing till I have to go,
no luck after that......sign.....
it is one of those "epic" day that you want to talk about and don't really want to talk about at the same time....:Cool:

bloox8
11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Awww man.. That fish looks pretty big. I wonder what it was.... Angel shark??? iunno.
Sorry you didn't ground it.. You'll get him next time
Thanks for the report

Nipple Twister
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Ohhhhhhh, don't ya just hate that???
No worries, always something to take away from every session huh? This one has some lessons learned.....

Nice report, thanks for sharing.......maybe a SNGF?

DockRat
11-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Lots of legal and short hali's get lost in the rocks too.
The crabs like them. That is why veteran jetty fisherman carry a net.
Nets are a hassle to haul around although they are better for C&R or keeping.
DR

frankjz
11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Cool report. I really dig the photo of the fish swimming away. It looks gigantic in the undulating clarity of that water.

fz

bachiboy
11-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Kinda agreeing with Thien in that it might have been an Angel shark...in which case, you probably wouldn't want to handle that fish too much. Mean teeth on those things. Sounds like some fun either way! Thanks for the report!

smokehound
11-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Definitely an angel.

Grabbing that tail would have been a bad idea.

good thing you couldnt reach it o_o

Wingnut
11-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Looks like an Angel Shark... :Shocked: I tangled with one of those a few years back, tried to snap at me a few times once I got it on the sand. It was really fun trying to get my LC back, lol :LOL:

BTW, they're also called Monk Fish, you probably ate some before and didn't even know it. :Wink:

murrieta angler
11-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Cool looking shark OMC!
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><