PDA

View Full Version : bad luck or bad line?

rjonly
11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
hey FNNers,
I took my swimstick out to silverwood to see if i could get one of those big stripers. i just had my reel respooled with 25lb izor since BPS was out of Maxima. about 15 casts later SNAP!!!! there goes my triple trout 40 yards out...NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! i shrug it off as a mishap then tie on my punker, using the good ole palomar i tried again... this time i got about 30 cast and i hear that snap again... I have been throwing big baits for about a year and this has never happened to me. Is it time to switch to straight braid? i dont know if i can handle loosing another $120 in baits without a fish in sight. Any suggestions?

allIdoIsfish
11-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Izor XXX or Platinum? Ive had alot of issues with XXX but Platinum is so strong!

rjonly
11-20-2012, 11:55 AM
it was the xxx.. its terrible!!!

LBSea
11-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Time to rent a boat and start trolling for lures.

Probably OLD dried out line. If you still have the spool take some line off and test it at home using weights if your really want to know. Bummer you can not get Bass Pro to comp some lures.

Side Note: I have snapped 30lb power pro doing the same thing. It seems as though the heavier the lure the more chance this can happen. The amount of weight on the knot at full swing is much more that just the weight of the lure on its own.

With that said it sounds like you had bad line.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Time to rent a boat and start trolling for lures.

Probably OLD dried out line. If you still have the spool take some line off and test it at home using weights if your really want to know. Bummer you can not get Bass Pro to comp some lures.

Side Note: I have snapped 30lb power pro doing the same thing. It seems as though the heavier the lure the more chance this can happen. The amount of weight on the knot at full swing is much more that just the weight of the lure on its own.

With that said it sounds like you had bad line.

Regarding the Power Pro line, I have heard that the stronger you cast, the more likely you are to snap your line. I had a similar situation fishing the surf. I asked the tackle shops as to why my line was snapping and they told me that braid doesn't tend to stretch as well as other line. Because it doesn't have much play to it, if you get a good bend in your rod before you release it, it is more likely your line will snap because of the force you created with the fullcrum of your swing. Long story short, braid doesnt have a lot of play so be careful. As for your Izorline, it could be the same problem or maybe your line got a little worn and stretched. Similar issue if you fight a big fish. You would want to cut your line a couple yards.

radray
11-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I use Izorline XXX in 25lb. exclusively when throwing my big swimbaits and I love it. My line is over a year old and it is still good. I throw the big Lunker Punkers, 12 inch MS Slammer and similar lures with no issues as of yet. I have even experienced several mishaps during the cast when your reel accidentally gets out of free spool and your lure just get jerked back violently during it's forward momentum. Situations when the line usually snaps, but mine held up. Personally, I think it is a fluke, but who knows it might be a bad batch. Try contacting Izorline and explain to them what happened.

I am sorry to hear about your swimbaits. That is very heartbreaking and leaves you feeling disgusted. I know the feeling.

Raymond

mjc89
11-21-2012, 12:14 AM
I doubt its the line. You should check all your guides on the rod to makes sure they are not cracked or cut into.

formosa
11-21-2012, 08:15 AM
you should try this knot. been fish with it more then 25 years, and it work great.

http://www.animatedknots.com/sandiegojam/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

4g63power
11-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Man sorry to hear that. Xxx are strong lines but I also had problems with xxx throwing big baits. Ive been using berkley big game since then with no issues so far. I just had this conversation with a buddy the other day, he's been throwing 9oz baits with 20 to 25lb xxx just fine, so I decided to give it a another try and just spooled my reels with xxx again just yesterday. And now m skeptical if I had made the right choice after reading this. i will be throwing floating baits only on my next outing.

matt duarte
11-21-2012, 12:54 PM
I use 30lb mono .. flouro has way to much stretch for big baits.... it could of been anything.. how are u casting? Over head cast are awesome line snappers... side arm cast big baits.. and always change ur line never know what frays or nicks u got in the line from the trip before...I change my swimbait line every time I go out soo I do it twice a week.. move up to 30lb though ive gotten 10" triple trouts stuck on trees underwater at dvl and a strong steady pull always getsthem out... also if u get stuck and pulled hard kn the line and got the bait unstuck make sure you re tie ur knot... good luck ive lost 100s of dollars in swimbaits...but u know what the say if your not losing or getting g your swimbait stuck your not throwing it right Haha