PDA

View Full Version : (1st post), 3 legal halis, in one week?

PlaneKraZ
11-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I've been fortunate to have SP Dan as my neighbor, and I can credit him for getting into
this fascinating sport. Up until recently, I've fished with fairly inconsistent results, getting
a few pancakes here and there, but no legals. Of course Dan reports regularly on his
humongous catches so i was wondering when/if I'd ever get my first legal hali.

I went out to my favorite AO on Saturday Nov 10th, early afternoon, and as some may recall,
it was ferociously windy that day. The weather service reported 20 mph steady with gusts up to
30 and I believe it. It was actually very impressive to see how the wind was resculpturing the
sand dunes, and to see small clouds of dust racing along more or less like snow showers in colder
climates. Tides were receding and salad was somewhat of a problem but more of a nuisance.

I was prepared with an LC (Flash Minnow) with which I had caught pancakes in the past, as well as a dropshot rig. For this outing though, I dotted the LC's sides with red enamel after reading Wingnut's sticky on modifying factory LCs. Did that make a difference? The lure looked good in the water with its red spots and I was relieved when I avoided the Skunk by catching a 14" flattie. I fished on, alternating stretches between the LC and the dropshot, without any action. Making one last run down the beach with the dropshot, the soft plastic lure got damaged so I decided to switch back to the LC and as the sun was setting, WHAM! I felt the characteristic headshake of a hali and a strong one at that. Working carefully, I eased him out of the water and he taped out at 23 3/4", a "no doubt" legal, my first and a real thrill.

Long story short, I returned to the AO on Friday the 16th and Sunday the 18th and caught two more legals with the same LC, 23" and 24".

So, in one week's span, I caught my first legal and added two more -- beginner's luck for sure and perhaps Wingnut's customizing tips helped? For sure, though, fishing with SP Dan has really taught me a lot as he's a terrific source of knowledge and encouragement. Now if he'd only tell me where he caught those really big ones.....

PlaneKraZ

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Hali1-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Hali2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Hali3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Hali4.jpg

dlmoo312
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
3 legals in 3 days, that's an amazing feat! On top of that, you were fishing in some rough conditions.
Congrats on your first 3 legals from the surf, you really deserve it!:Thumbs Up:
Thanks for the report and pics!

-Daniel

peanutbutter
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
nice fish sp dans neighbor :EyePop: "lucky" still havent gotten my legals but i cant wait

SP Dan
11-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Hi ya PlaneKraZ,

"Congratulations" Pete...... I'm extremely proud of you for hanging in there and for you having finally landed your first legal Halibut on an LC lure this past week! :Big Smile::Applause: WTG my friend!

When I received your text(s).....Oh brother...you were so stoked and proud of yourself!.... and so was I for you!!
Next....welcome to the FNN Family, Fun, Fishing site my friend! Welcome aboard!
I'm most certain... that you will be filling up this forum with many, many more fascinating reports in the very near future!

It has been a pleasure for me to follow your progress over this past year Pete.......your newly obtained skills, knowledge, determination and perseverance in your quest for the larger legal models has finally started paying off in spades for you. It seems as though lately....... that every time I glance out of my garage.....I see my friend Pete either taking his fishing rear out or putting his fishing gear into his assault vehicle for another session! :Envious:

I'm happy to tell you this..... I truly believe that you have been bitten and infected with a severe case of Hali-mitosis! I also understand that there is no cure for this once bitten :EyePop:.....so in the morning .....go out to our local tackle shop and buy yourself two new LC lures......and then head down to your closest AO..... for any hope of relief! Don't be hesitant to fan cast for more possible relief!! :ROFL: Ha ha ha!

Man O' Man! (3) three legals in one week's time! :Envious: Well......that's a feat that few have accomplished and is something that you can be very proud of achieving my friend!

Thanx for the great first fish report Brotha! :Cool:
I am looking forward to spending more quality time with you in the salt!

SP Dan <"))><

DockRat
11-20-2012, 05:23 AM
XLNT Job Pete, congratulations on your 3 legals in a week.

Hali-mitosis Lol Dan.
DR

Wingnut
11-20-2012, 09:27 AM
I posted up the photos for you... :Wink:

Congrats on a multi-legal Halibut week. :Thumbs Up:

As for the dots on the LC. I caught Halibut with or without it, equally. I mostly do it for individuality and to pass the time. :Big Grin:

bachiboy
11-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Oh man, you got the disease bad. Unfortunately, or fortunately, there is no cure. All you can do is roll with it and keep going after bigger models and more legals. Having Dan as a neighbor and inspiration will only further your condition. You'll become light-headed and delirious with his amazing catches which will drive you to the surf more. Good luck with the condition. For me, it's too late...I'm doomed to walk the surf for life. :Wink:

Seriously, can't have a better guy to learn from than Dan. Keep up the great work and thanks for the report!
Congrats!!!!
Don

Nipple Twister
11-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh man, you got the disease bad. Unfortunately, or fortunately, there is no cure. All you can do is roll with it and keep going after bigger models and more legals. Having Dan as a neighbor and inspiration will only further your condition. You'll become light-headed and delirious with his amazing catches which will drive you to the surf more. Good luck with the condition. For me, it's too late...I'm doomed to walk the surf for life. :Wink:

hahahahahaha....yup, got it bad!
:ROFL:
Nice report Sir, it seems as though we all know you well already based on how often and how highly Dan speaks of you, every session there seems to be a point where a story pops in about you two.......nicely done, great report....thx for sharing......

murrieta angler
11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Excellent 3 days of fishing for sure!!
Next time send some down this way, I promise to let them go...:Cool:
Thanks for the write up.
Robert
<><

Newfishsmell
11-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the sport PlaneKraZ. You`ll never look at water the same way again.
Awesome looking catch you got there , congratulations !!

fishshep
11-24-2012, 07:49 AM
OUTSTANDING !!!! :Big Grin:

Jaysuuun
11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
3 legals in 3 days. Way to rack up the legal count before the end of the year. Excellent job. It's good to have a friend like Dan, heh? :Wink: