PDA

View Full Version : boats and rain launching

flyhigh123
11-16-2012, 07:47 PM
If it rains a little or a lot, do the lakes that require inspection close for the day to launching?

vortec_cruiser
11-16-2012, 10:32 PM
This is an answer I'd like to see ,too.

flyhigh123
11-17-2012, 05:24 AM
It's sprinkling right now. Anyone know?

Sublime-Steve
11-17-2012, 06:16 AM
boat better be dry in all the right places even if its wet. you WILL be denied entry to DVL but maybe not perris. good luck!

heydaad
11-17-2012, 06:30 AM
My personal experience is that the State run lakes are more understanding. DVL and Skinner not so much, it's zero tolerance there. If it's drizzly or rainy, keep it covered. I even duct tape a plastic bag on the lower end of the outboard before I drive to either DVL or Skinner after I am sure it's dry as a bone. I was turned away once ... and it won't happen again.

HawgZWylde
11-17-2012, 07:01 AM
If you already have a tag for that lake, you can launch. Any lake that already has Quagga, you can launch. No tag, no launch on Quagga free lakes...

ben0606
11-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Dvl will pass you depending on inspector and how much effort you show. I passeed after a rain where I had my boat cover on and trash bags on my motor. Bottom of boat was soaked from drive but they said they could tell how much effort I put. That's the same respectful inspector I always get, not the one who steps all over ur boat and kicks ur poles checking for water in ur cooler.

dk4885
11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
i also passed inspection after driving in the rain the inspector told me as long as the water on the boat was clean water they will pass you

dixoncider
11-17-2012, 09:18 AM
If you already have a band for the lake your fine.. No band and rain= No launch

HawgZWylde
11-17-2012, 09:51 AM
i also passed inspection after driving in the rain the inspector told me as long as the water on the boat was clean water they will pass you

How does one tell if the water is "clean water"? Quagga mussel eggs are microscopic and are invisible to the naked eye. Same for Zebra mussels.

I'll assume if you are a regular DVL local, those guy's know you and know your boat hasn't been in another body of water. That's the only way you are getting on DVL with a wet boat and no tag...

dk4885
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
How does one tell if the water is "clean water"? Quagga mussel eggs are microscopic and are invisible to the naked eye. Same for Zebra mussels.

I'll assume if you are a regular DVL local, those guy's know you and know your boat hasn't been in another body of water. That's the only way you are getting on DVL with a wet boat and no tag...

im sure he was talking about water thats on the boat rain drops and what not, he was not talkiing about water in your bilge area or livewells now thats a fail.

HawgZWylde
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
im sure he was talking about water thats on the boat rain drops and what not, he was not talkiing about water in your bilge area or livewells now thats a fail.

It's not just the boat that gets inspected, wet trailer rails and wheel hubs can get you failed as well without a tag...

HawgZWylde
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM

It's not just the boat that gets inspected, wet trailer rails and wheel hubs can get you failed as well without a tag...

What's up with the forum? This posted twice, I only clicked once...

ben0606
11-17-2012, 06:06 PM

I only go about 10-15 times a year to DVL so im not a regular, my boat wasn't banded and was soaked on the bottom and so was the trailer. The rain stopped but all of the splash from the road got it soaked. I also even picked up a guy from beumont which was snowing. Im not saying its a shoe in but depending on the inspector and how much effort you show it has happened. Basically the inspector ran my boat in the system, which doesn't cover all lakes, still inspected my bilge livewell and motor and passed me. He said denied at first and i told him it stays in my garage and so on but he started laughing saying he was joking cause he could obiously see all the effort i put in keeping within regs minus the rain and snow. The said common sense.....which we all know doesn't ALWAYS apply. How bad do you want to fish DVL during the rain day is up to you.