PDA

View Full Version : Fall Silverwood Fishing Report Photos + Video

carpanglerdude
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qpaRV.jpg

Went fishing at Silverwood this week. I was hoping the overcast conditions would allow for a better striper bite from the shore. However, I was wrong-I only saw three boils near shore in the AM and a few more near dusk. However, I had the entire day free, so I decided to explore the shoreline. As the water was considerably lower than in the past, I decided to hike along the shoreline, from Chamise Cove to Cleghorn. The weather was fine, I had plenty of water and I figured exploring the various coves and points along the way might be a fun experience.

At one of the first coves I fished, I had a nice bass follow my topwater back to the bank. I switched up to a power minnow/jig, worked the area, and hooked into a decent fish. Surprise, surprise, not a bass, but a beautiful rainbow trout. It had full fins and fought pretty well. Here's a quick video of it underwater on my BlurFix camera:

YouTube Video link (http://youtu.be/Du-Mo7_TLQs)

And here's the trout...

http://i.imgur.com/kGVIv.jpg

After that, I continued hiking along the shore. Initially, it was fairly easy,as much of the shoreline was hard packed sand. However, as I began to work around the main point, I encountered a lot more rocks and and loose debris. Definitely slowed my trip down. Had lunch in one of the coves further back and did more fishing along the way. For the most part, I didn't spot any fish. The water was very clear and there was very little cover near the shore. However, at one cove, I found a nice bit of wood cover and it held several largemouth. There was one group of 1-2pound fish and another of 3-5pound fish, just hanging out near the cover. They were curious enough to follow a swimbait and soft plastics, but wouldn't commit. While I know Silverwood has large bass, I haven't spotted fish of this size, congregated right up next to the shore before.

http://i.imgur.com/QSoOj.jpg

I continued walking around the lake and as I drew closer to Cleghorn, I began to encounter some problems. The shoreline changed significantly, with several rough rock walls sloping into the lake. I was able to scramble along several of them, laden with fishing tackle/gear, slipped in once, but pressed on. I finally got to the point indicated at the "Turn Around" on theabove image and had to call it quits-the rock face was simply too sheer and the water below too deep for me to safely continue. Ugh. Making the walk back was slow and painful but the scenery was fantastic. Fishing...not so much. Ended the day fishing for stripers from the shore as the sunset. Just a couple of scattered boils, nothing hitting my lures at all. I did spot, far out near the dam, a few seagulls circle and crash on a school of something for 30 seconds or so, but nothing else.

http://i.imgur.com/7lYEL.jpg

If anything, it was a great exercise, but I wouldn't recommend making that hike to others! According to Google, it was ~ 5 miles round trip.

Here's my question: Has the topwater bite and fluke bite from the shore pretty much died down for a while now? While I'm sure a few monsters will be caught by the swimbait guys from the shore, has the days of 15+ micros from the bank ended for the next few months? Somebody help me out with this?

http://i.imgur.com/AXCeU.jpg

(Whoops, just noticed I posted this to the General Section, if someone could move this to Reports it would be much appreciated!)

seal
11-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Yup bite has changed. Topwater has died, shoreline shad swimbait bite has slowed dramatically and fish you do catch have been smaller.

Time to go chase um at a lower elevation lake, this isn't a BS I'm trying to scare you all away answer it is the cycle that happens every year. It is water temp related.

Not saying that flurries won't occur on the top but the stripers are focusing on a different bite now and those looking for easy limts will have to focus on lower elevation lakes.

carpanglerdude
11-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Yup bite has changed. Topwater has died, shoreline shad swimbait bite has slowed dramatically and fish you do catch have been smaller.

Time to go chase um at a lower elevation lake, this isn't a BS I'm trying to scare you all away answer it is the cycle that happens every year. It is water temp related.

Not saying that flurries won't occur on the top but the stripers are focusing on a different bite now and those looking for easy limts will have to focus on lower elevation lakes.

When does the lake typically warm up enough for the shore bite to start again? May? June?

seal
11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
It depends on the water temp once again. In late May - July you will find them "slurping" this means they are focusing on larvae size fry, very small just hatched fish. The size of the stripers will be smaller but lurking below will be larger fish possibly. I'd suggest the fly and bubble deal early season if you want to target them, but I call it fry and bubble. Use very small fry imitations with a weighted bubble, it's fun but small fish. If you want to target the bigger fish then it's all about getting in a boat and fishing a few different spots on the lake with bait or better yet vertical jigging. The topwater bite at the Wood has been going off since early August I'd say, everybody is looking for group boils but blind casting topwater early and late will get you into some nice sized schoolies (2-6lbs). Problem is everybody waits for people to post "wide open" bites till they fish the bite, too late bites over, learn the patterns, glad you asked.

Nessie Hunter
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
"from Chamise Cove to Cleghorn" ????

Nope not even close, that map shows just Chamise....
Hiking to Gleghorn would have been a big job...

carpanglerdude
11-17-2012, 08:46 PM

You'll notice I stated the following, "I decided to hike along the shoreline, from Chamise Cove to Cleghorn....I finally got to the point indicated at the "Turn Around" on the above image and had to call it quits." Hence, I initially planned to, but was prevented in doing so.

seal
11-18-2012, 12:53 PM

The water level has been real low making it easy to hike the shoreline, although that's a helluva haul.

By the way water level is back up to normal levels, hiking around the lake is no longer a cakewalk.