PDA

View Full Version : If a fish gets the hook in its throat ... is there no way of CPR?

billy b
11-16-2012, 06:59 AM
That's kinda what I've heard.

So then ... can you cut the leader and leave the hook in? I've heard different stories? Heard that the dark brass hooks can work ... the bright gold ones ... NO
How about the black or red hooks?

THANKS

Cartman
11-16-2012, 07:17 AM
That's kinda what I've heard.

So then ... can you cut the leader and leave the hook in? I've heard different stories? Heard that the dark brass hooks can work ... the bright gold ones ... NO
How about the black or red hooks?

THANKS

If the hook is in the throat you may be able to get it out with a disgorger, a plastic device like a rod that runs down the taut line and pushes the hook forward so it comes unhooked and then holds the eye so it can be removed. If you can see the hook you have a much better chance of this working. Otherwise, you may do more damage than good and be better off just cutting the line.

Viejo
11-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Another option is to switch to a style of fishing where the fish don't swallow the "bait" but are caught in the lip. If you do gut hook a fish....forget about the tools you shove down their throat. Just cut the line at the mouth. Fish will swim away and have a darn good chance of survival. I fish 100% barbless and have had very little issues about releasing fish without even having to handle them at all using a Ketchum Release tool. It's a good deal you are thinking of proper ways to CPR. Lee Wulf once said, "A fish is to precious to catch only once".

seal
11-16-2012, 07:44 AM
If the hook is in the throat you may be able to get it out with a disgorger, a plastic device like a rod that runs down the taut line and pushes the hook forward so it comes unhooked and then holds the eye so it can be removed. If you can see the hook you have a much better chance of this working. Otherwise, you may do more damage than good and be better off just cutting the line.

You may be able to get the hook out but it's pretty close to a death penalty for the fish. Please don't spread this around being a solution to gut hooking a fish it is not. If you are going to C&R you need to change the type of fishing you are doing and if you gut hook a fish accidentally you need to keep it or give it away (within your 5 fish limit).

l2exllen
11-16-2012, 07:53 AM
^^^ What seal said. Especially with trout once they're gut hooked they're pretty much dead. IMO I wouldn't even attempt to release a gut hooked trout

DarkShadow
11-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Lee Wulf once said, "A fish is to precious to catch only once".

Yeah, but Hamlet once said, "A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm," or something. :Cool:

pcuser
11-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I've heard both sides. I've however heard more often that you can cut the leader and the fish most often will survive. The people I heard this from have been people I trusted and believed they new of what they spoke. My rule is if you see blood, keep or give away the fish. Also, if you use stainless steel hooks, you shouldn't release the fish as the hook will never rust away as with regular hooks. I've caught fish with hooks that haven't rusted out yet, further suggesting they will survive. Lastly, IMHO, one shouldn't try to take out a hook not lip hooked if you want to release it. I figure the cost of a hook isn't worth the life of a good fish. It would be great to get the opinion of an expert with quality knowledge on this subject as it would be harmful to release a lot of fatally damaged fish.

Cartman
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
You may be able to get the hook out but it's pretty close to a death penalty for the fish. Please don't spread this around being a solution to gut hooking a fish it is not. If you are going to C&R you need to change the type of fishing you are doing and if you gut hook a fish accidentally you need to keep it or give it away (within your 5 fish limit).

I never suggested using a disgorger for a gut hooked fish. I said if the hook is in the throat you may be able to get it out with a disgorger, and you will have a better chance if you can see the hook. I said that otherwise you may do more damage than good and be better off just cutting the line. The best thing is to hook the fish in the mouth before it has a chance to swallow the bait.

shinbob
11-16-2012, 09:46 AM
I've caught 3 stocker trout with hooks in them that have been broken off or cut and left in place. Two of these were those little gold treble powerbait hooks -- one was hanging out the backside by the leader, the other was in the stomach. The third had a size 10 baitholder hook in it's stomach.

I agree that if it's a bleeder it should be kept. However, if it's just lodged too deeply to get out, just cut the leader off. At least it has a shot at surviving and being caught by someone else. Then it's probably time to switch to lures.

skunked4life
11-16-2012, 12:48 PM
There is never going to be an end all reply to these topics re gut hooked fish, but here are some thoughts:

1. The word "responsible" in terms of angling really should not be so strictly read, but rather, looked upon on a good faith reading. Simply put, "responsible" angling should mean that the angler has used his/her best efforts to ensure the survival of sport fishing. Ultimately, if you put forth a good faith effort and could not get the hook out without causing harm, you did your job, generally speaking.
2. Next, let's convince people to change their ways of fishing. Bait and wait can be a relaxing way to kick back and enjoy a beer or two while waiting for a bite, but we can do that at at a pay-to-fish lake where we know that the shore fish are all stocked fish and there is usually very little problem with undersized fishies being gut-hooked. Of course, there are exceptions to everything that I am saying but take a look at IRvine Lake--there is no catch-and-release for trout. These trout are stocker trout. So go out and bait-and-wait all you want. OTHERWISE, try a little finesse fishing. It is alot more exciting and better chances of lip hooking than gut-hooking.
3. Hooks dissolve. Or do they? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of opinions about this. That is precisely the problem. These are OPINIONS. Believe me, there are those of you who will point me to on-line articles conducted by "scientists" etc... they are theories, which mean unless 100 out of 100 tests result in positive results 100% of the time, it is not law nor fact. So, what? Well, let's look at what we do know. All animals have stomach enzymes for digestion. I have seen humans eat glass and they simply digest it. Look at BSP and croakers. They eat crabs and other shelled creatures and can digest them. Does that mean hooks dissolve? Maybe. But let's say they do. What is to say that while in the process of dissolving, they don't emit metallic or chemical toxins into the fish causing them to die. What's there to say that while the hook makes its way to the stomach, it doesn't punture other vital organs such as the air bladder? The point is, you never know. Bottom line, don't hang your hats solely on this opinion that hooks may or may not dissolve.
4. Ok, so you tried no. 2 and still managed to gut-hook. It happens. What do you do? Well, so long as it isn't an under-sized halibut, wsb, or any other fish that requires size limits, keep it, eat it, give it to someone, or better yet, use it for lobster/crab trapping!
5. If none of these options appeal to you, then cut the line as close as possible to the hook and let them go. Sure, they may only live another few days to months, but if that makes you feel better, then go ahead.

The point of this rather long rant is that if you are not purposely and repeatedly causing the gut-hooks, and you at least try to do something about it, I would say that you are acting responsibly and should clear your conscience. I am sure that my post will spawn alot of hate replies, but that is one of the perils that go along with the right of free speech on a semi-public forum.

Tight lines and hooked lips!

City Dad
11-16-2012, 01:16 PM
There is never going to be an end all reply to these topics re gut hooked fish, but here are some thoughts:

1. The word "responsible" in terms of angling really should not be so strictly read, but rather, looked upon on a good faith reading. Simply put, "responsible" angling should mean that the angler has used his/her best efforts to ensure the survival of sport fishing. Ultimately, if you put forth a good faith effort and could not get the hook out without causing harm, you did your job, generally speaking.
2. Next, let's convince people to change their ways of fishing. Bait and wait can be a relaxing way to kick back and enjoy a bear or two while waiting for a bite, but we can do that at at a pay-to-fish lake where we know that the shore fish are all stocked fish and there is usually very little problem with undersized fishies being gut-hooked. Of course, there are exceptions to everything that I am saying but take a look at IRvine Lake--there is no catch-and-release for trout. These trout are stocker trout. So go out and bait-and-wait all you want. OTHERWISE, try a little finesse fishing. It is alot more exciting and better chances of lip hooking than gut-hooking.
3. Hooks dissolve. Or do they? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of opinions about this. That is precisely the problem. These are OPINIONS. Believe me, there are those of you who will point me to on-line articles conducted by "scientists" etc... they are theories, which mean unless 100 out of 100 tests result in positive results 100% of the time, it is not law nor fact. So, what? Well, let's look at what we do know. All animals have stomach enzymes for digestion. I have seen humans eat glass and they simply digest it. Look at BSP and croakers. They eat crabs and other shelled creatures and can digest them. Does that mean hooks dissolve? Maybe. But let's say they do. What is to say that while in the process of dissolving, they don't emit metallic or chemical toxins into the fish causing them to die. What's there to say that while the hook makes its way to the stomach, it doesn't punture other vital organs such as the air bladder? The point is, you never know. Bottom line, don't hang your hats solely on this opinion that hooks may or may not dissolve.
4. Ok, so you tried no. 2 and still managed to gut-hook. It happens. What do you do? Well, so long as it isn't an under-sized halibut, wsb, or any other fish that requires size limits, keep it, eat it, give it to someone, or better yet, use it for lobster/crab trapping!
5. If none of these options appeal to you, then cut the line as close as possible to the hook and let them go. Sure, they may only live another few days to months, but if that makes you feel better, then go ahead.

The point of this rather long rant is that if you are not purposely and repeatedly causing the gut-hooks, and you at least try to do something about it, I would say that you are acting responsibly and should clear your conscience. I am sure that my post will spawn alot of hate replies, but that is one of the perils that go along with the right of free speech on a semi-public forum.

Well said (but you really shouldn't eat glass - it's loaded with carbs.)

skunked4life
11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Well said (but you really shouldn't eat glass - it's loaded with carbs.)

You are right, should stick with fiberglass--you know, to help with my bowel movements :LOL:

DarkShadow
11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Bait and wait can be a relaxing way to kick back and enjoy a bear or two while waiting for a bite....

I dunno man, bears are pretty eff'ed up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/WrestingWithaBear.jpg/220px-WrestingWithaBear.jpg

skunked4life
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I dunno man, bears are pretty eff'ed up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/WrestingWithaBear.jpg/220px-WrestingWithaBear.jpg

:Embarrassed:

smokehound
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Bear's got his Raep face on. ahaha

Do away with the dough baits, and you'll have a much lower incidence of gut-hooking.

Personally, I believe releasing a stocker in a park lake is just feeding bass.. That fish is too exhausted to flee, and the bass KNOW it.

...Which is why I release trout

http://whyisthispopular.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/pfft.png

billy b
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM

2. Next, let's convince people to change their ways of fishing. Bait and wait can be a relaxing way to kick back and enjoy a beer or two while waiting for a bite, but we can do that at at a pay-to-fish lake where we know that the shore fish are all stocked fish and there is usually very little problem with undersized fishies being gut-hooked. Of course, there are exceptions to everything that I am saying but take a look at IRvine Lake--there is no catch-and-release for trout. These trout are stocker trout. So go out and bait-and-wait all you want. OTHERWISE, try a little finesse fishing. It is alot more exciting and better chances of lip hooking than gut-hooking.

Xlnt thoughts ... The last time out I released a 4+ brownie because I think they're special. Probably should do the same with rainbows? ... I dunno. I'm trying to get into the jigs and lures more ... good point. I know what to do if it's lipped hooked ... and if it's bleeding ... just wondered if cutting the line would help. ONe fly fisherman friend said "if it swallows the hook, it's history"