PDA

View Full Version : Trout worm questions

Cadillyak
11-15-2012, 08:50 PM
As always, seems like the big boys( DD or close) love the trout worms. I am gonna start throwing them again and am wondering what is YOUR preferred technique. Drop shot? Carolina rigged? Lip ripper or Berkeley? Maybe we can talk about the type of line and lb test YOU prefer. Scent? (more than likely). Shore, boat, yak, or tube? Best catch with a trout worm? Rod and reel setup?

This post is meant purely for anglers that help and don't hinder. I figure this should be a fun post to see what everyone is throwing. Tis the TROUT season and let's have some fun!!

TurtleSlayer
11-15-2012, 08:53 PM
try peewee baitsworms.
work good!

Cadillyak
11-15-2012, 08:57 PM
try peewee baitsworms.
work good!

I have heard about these. Will have to look them up. Thanks for the input.

angelsfan951
11-15-2012, 09:18 PM
IMHO they all work from lip ripperz to berkley to drews custom to trout king to peewee, and so on and so on i prefer to do the split shot, i mostly fish from shore so sometimes drop shoting u can cast out a lil better but u just have to get ur technique down, I just started using trout worms so im definetly no pro and i use 2 lb line. For set up anything in UL over 7' is my preference

Frequent Flyer
11-15-2012, 09:21 PM
peewee's on a ballhead or dropshot! a little 2 lb izor in a boat/tube or on shore and i don't even have time to eat a granola bar. i'll deadstick them, pull out my granola bar, barely unwrap it....bump bump bump....not agaaaaain. peewee's all day

Cadillyak
11-15-2012, 09:23 PM
I like your style Angelesfan. I'm a splits shot guy myself. Sooooo many trout worms to choose from. To each their own. I know somewhere there was a test on boyancy, may make a difference, may not. They seem to all produce.

Cadillyak
11-15-2012, 09:25 PM
These peewee's u speak of Frequent Flyer, where might these be purchased?

Frequent Flyer
11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
http://peeweebaits.wix.com/1 he makes some killer colors too! whenever you go to corona or something just hit me up and ill show you some other stuff

Surfnsnowboard3
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Berkeley pre-made Micetails is pretty much all I use. Ultra light rod and reel. 2 lb izor. Split shot (small weight cuz they hit it on the sink) anywhere from 6-24" from hook (depending on where there are in water column). Killer setup for me.

Any you didn't even ask about COLORS...

seal
11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
These peewee's u speak of Frequent Flyer, where might these be purchased?

Very subtle.

smokehound
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
This isnt a worm, but last year I was murdering both smaller bass and the stockers with the Gitzit Micro Little Tough Guy.

Very effective. Expensive, considering the small size, but very effective.

Try a pack of em! There's also a different version of this micro bait with a tail more similar to a slug-go style lure.

This winter, I'm strictly targeting Bass..

camo
11-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes peewees are awesome they have so much buoyancy you could use them for floaties on your child.

billy b
11-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Yes peewees are awesome they have so much buoyancy you could use them for floaties on your child.

Went to the site for the first time and couldn't see the mini jig section ... order section didn't work ... must be part of being new

Maybe I'll go try it again

Looks like there may be some familiarity to Tfisherman worms ... which worked great on Jenks

Anybody know what happened to the 'T' ???

Cartman
11-18-2012, 07:52 AM
http://peeweebaits.wix.com/1 he makes some killer colors too! whenever you go to corona or something just hit me up and ill show you some other stuff

I was looking at the peeweebaits when I came across the P-Wee worms http://www.ikecon.com/fishing-products/the-p-wee/ (http://www.ikecon.com/fishing-products/the-p-wee/)and I thought that was what you were talking about at first. They look pretty cool with two hooks. I wonder if anyone has any experience fishing with these for trout.

Cartman
11-18-2012, 07:55 AM
This isnt a worm, but last year I was murdering both smaller bass and the stockers with the Gitzit Micro Little Tough Guy.

Try a pack of em! There's also a different version of this micro bait with a tail more similar to a slug-go style lure.

They seem very light. How do you cast them?

Frequent Flyer
11-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I was looking at the peeweebaits when I came across the P-Wee worms http://www.ikecon.com/fishing-products/the-p-wee/ (http://www.ikecon.com/fishing-products/the-p-wee/)and I thought that was what you were talking about at first. They look pretty cool with two hooks. I wonder if anyone has any experience fishing with these for trout.

They are some of the stiffest worms ie. no action whatsoever. I've ever fished with, dont use them anymore because i came across better baits

Cartman
11-18-2012, 01:38 PM
They are some of the stiffest worms ie. no action whatsoever. I've ever fished with, dont use them anymore because i came across better baits

That's too bad. They do look all soft and delicious though, don't they? Thanks for the tip.

Frequent Flyer
11-18-2012, 03:50 PM
That's too bad. They do look all soft and delicious though, don't they? Thanks for the tip.

It really is a shame, I was pretty enthusiastic when I tried them out but the product just isn't there IMO

OC ANGLER
11-18-2012, 04:16 PM
ive been looking at Sierra Slammers http://www.sierraslammers.com/ .. they have a awesome assortment of colors

angelsfan951
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
ive been looking at Sierra Slammers http://www.sierraslammers.com/ .. they have a awesome assortment of colors

sierraslammers are good as well i tried these out for the first time in the sierras and they were killer! Jigs as well caught fish in every lake with the mini jigs!

Trout Assasin
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
For jigs go here http://www.southernpro.com/
For worms you have alot of companies. Drew's, Smokin Jigz, Pee Wee, B Line, Moone, Berkely, Lip Ripperz, and the list goes on. Pick one, they are pretty much all the same, some bigger some smaller. They all pretty much have bi colors, natural colors, flake, scents, you name it. At the end of the day if you know how to fish then it really is a matter or preference or whoever is hooking you up!

smokehound
11-19-2012, 12:29 AM
They seem very light. How do you cast them?Peel out 5 feet of line and whip it! They are about the same weight as a BB size splitshot.

I had little problems casting them on 4 lb trilene.. biggest problem was the wind screwing up my casts. They really work great though!

Frequent Flyer
11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
for peewee's his contact information is on the site and let him know what you want as he can meet up with you or ship it to you. IE there is no ordering through the site at the moment.

Cadillyak
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Thank you to all who have contributed to this post. I am sure that much has been learned by all the knowledge that has been shared. Will definitely use what I have learned in the near future. Does hooking the worms wacky rigged worked better or threading the worm work better? Probably depends on dropshot or carolina.

Frequent Flyer
11-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Thank you to all who have contributed to this post. I am sure that much has been learned by all the knowledge that has been shared. Will definitely use what I have learned in the near future. Does hooking the worms wacky rigged worked better or threading the worm work better? Probably depends on dropshot or carolina.

i rarely thread my worms unless i am rigging up for carolina bait n' wait, otherwise for dropshot i'll wacky or nose-hook. If you notice that you are getting bites but not connecting on the nose-hook, switch to wacky or wait a few more seconds before that "swing"

bchbum54
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
For the double D's you have to try TroutKings magnum trout worm. Just an awesome worm and deadly on the drop shot for those larger bows. Just saying you should check them out, no one else makes trout worms in that size

the killa fish taco
11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Top 5 companies for trout worms.

Berkley
Sierra Slammers
Smokin Jigs
Trout Kings
Drews Custom Baits

I just startes drop shotting 2.5 and 3 basstrixx drop shot minnows and they work too! ;)

Hope the info works out

Cartman
11-21-2012, 08:30 PM

I found them at Walmart (Rosemead) in four different colors at $2.56 a pair. I got hot pink, chartreuse, and perch. They also had a white or pearl color.

Surfnsnowboard3
11-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Nose hook in #10 or #12 mosquito hook. That simple. No bigger than #10

Surfnsnowboard3
11-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Nose hook in #10 or #12 mosquito hook. That simple. No bigger than #10 or you will see a drastic reduction in bites.

Cadillyak
11-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Just got an order from troutking. Although it took a little longer than expected, I was very happy with my purchase. Troutking HOOKS IT UP!! I highly recommend doing business with him. Also, the worms are a size that I have yet to see. I ordered only two packages and got one free. How nice is that. Can't wait to try these out!!!

vanillagurilla
12-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Try fishing them on a 1/32oz. Mini jig head.

Surfnsnowboard3
12-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Just got an order from troutking. Although it took a little longer than expected, I was very happy with my purchase. Troutking HOOKS IT UP!! I highly recommend doing business with him. Also, the worms are a size that I have yet to see. I ordered only two packages and got one free. How nice is that. Can't wait to try these out!!!

Hey bro, I gotta give you my results of fishing with Troutking worms Vs. Berkeley worms. I've noticed through much trial that the Berkeley floats more naturally and gets WAY more fish than Troutking. It's my personal observation and I'm sure other people will agree and/or disagree but I will not be buying Troutking worms anymore.

radioleo
12-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Do the pee wee trout worms float or sink ??????

Thanks

Cadillyak
12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Hummmm. May have to dropshot them then...

Frequent Flyer
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Do the pee wee trout worms float or sink ??????

Thanks

They FLOAT like a ping pong ball in a cup of....*insert drink*

camo
12-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes PeeWee's float a lot but if you are split shotting them use a #12 hook over a #10

Cartman
12-03-2012, 06:57 PM
They FLOAT like a ping pong ball in a cup of....*insert drink*

You sold me. I just sent Matt an order for him to pick out some good colors for me.

Frequent Flyer
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
You sold me. I just sent Matt an order for him to pick out some good colors for me.

Enjoy! So far pink has been my favorite this season, but hey, I don't discriminate

emtbsandiego
12-04-2012, 12:04 AM
A little bit different from everyone else here, but in Mammoth I tend to use a bubble filled with water and the worm 24"-36" down the line. Same as above with using a small mosquito hook. Cast it out, let it slowly sink while counting down. This will help you find where in the water column they are located, and it allows for a looooong cast. Other than that a slow reel.

Been fishing the Sierras for 20 some years and when I discovered these things a few years ago they were a game changer.

Carptain_Bao
12-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Just one question: anyone tried size 12 circle hook before for drop shot? I heard you don't really need to set the hook with those circles

geedavell
12-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I have only fished for trout using PB or spinners. I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot but can anyone post picture of how you rig these things. Checked on youtube. I found a lot of videos on guys reeling fish in using them but no detail on how to rig them

Cadillyak
12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't have a picture, but I am sure that someone will chime in with one. For the time being though, I know that these small worms can be carolina rigged, used on a dropshot rig, used with a split shot, or used with a jighead. These are just a few of ways I know they can be used.

Trout Daddy
12-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I have only fished for trout using PB or spinners. I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot but can anyone post picture of how you rig these things. Checked on youtube. I found a lot of videos on guys reeling fish in using them but no detail on how to rig them

Split shot, put the bb type weight 24-36" above a sz 10 or 12 mosquito hook, whacky rig the worm for the best results. Carolina rigged, 1/16 weight, carolina keeper, and vary your leader based on where the fish are, whacky rig the worm for the best results. Jighead, 1/32, 1/64, and 1/16 all have their uses based on how far you need to cast or how slow/fast you want the fall of the bait. Dropshot, size 10 or 8 hook tied up about 12-16" above a splitshot weight or finesse dropshot weight, whacky or straight rigged. Good Luck, check the worm websites for photos! Also some companies make their own jigs/worms and others use a supplier.....

Cadillyak
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Based on personal experience, which trout worms are the most buoyant?? I know there are a multitude of trout worms out there but looking at sapdawg's YouTube video has me wondering. He covered eagle claw, berkeley, and lip ripperez. I'm starting to think buoyancy is pretty important, depending on how u fish the worm that is. And with all the different brands of worms that have come up, a whole new can of worms has been opened. (no pun intended,LOL)

Trout Daddy
12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Smokin Jigz and Drew's do float. FF says pee wee's float. Not sure about the others.....