PDA

View Full Version : New PB and helpful tip to LC users

bachiboy
11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
So, work has slowed down a bit and I’ve been making some late morning trips to the surf (after I drop off my kid at school) to pass the time. I’ve gotten into the habit of working an area with the LC and backtracking with the dropshot. I’ve had some moderate success but still haven’t gotten a legal since just before HG4. Just when things were starting to look up, the water temps drop dramatically and things are looking slim again. Oh well, I’m still gonna get out there and give it a go.

THE TIP

A couple weeks ago, I was watching a fishing show which featured a walleye tournament. One of the guys was trolling plugs and, to keep the junk off his lures, put a Carolina Keeper (small rubber bead usually used for Carolina rigging or bobber stops) a couple of feet above his lures. The weeds and other crap that collected on the line was somewhat prevented from sliding down to the lure. I thought this might translate to what we’ve been doing in the surf with the LC. Here's a link to the product...
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/fishing/general+fishing+accessories/terminal+tackle/301664_0450490.do?search=endeca&keyword=carolina+keeper&sortby=ourPicks&page=1

First trip didn’t yield any results or conclusions cuz fishing stunk and weeds were very minimal, but the second trip I got to see how well this worked. I put the c-keeper about a foot and a half above the LC. If you put it too far from the LC, it’s too hard to cast with that much line hanging down. The A.O. I was fishing had a spot with a high vantage point so that I could see the effects. The water was VERY clear so I could see what was happening. The eel grass that hung on the line slid down and stopped at the c-keeper, allowing the LC to keep its normal action. Sometimes the weeds would just slide off and never get to the LC, but other times it just stuck to the c-keeper and never worked it’s way down. Now this isn’t a cure-all to salad, but it does help give that LC a better chance to work, every few casts. You’re still gonna get crap on the LC but it might buy a few cranks for the LC to work as well. The keeper didn’t seem to effect the LC motion, so the next question was, “what’s it going to do the fishes’ reaction?” Well, while casting from a high vantage point, about 10 yards in front of me, I see a pancake dart and miss the LC.:Shocked: Gave it a little peck, but never committed fully. I throw out a couple more times for nothing. On the third cast following that, I threw 10 yards left and he makes another move on it...never touching the thing, but I could see him go after it. The very next cast after that, I get his ***:Twisted: ...about 17” and he inhaled the LC this time. So, I guess he didn’t give a dang about the keeper cuz he went for the LC three different times.:Cool:

Here’s the first victim

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/1st_victim.jpg

The next day, I went to a different location, again with a spot that has a high vantage point. I ended up having another successful test...unfortunately not on a flattie though. I could see the LC coming in and it got chased by a decent sized BSP. I threw out again and I could see the eel grass hang on the c-keeper. Then a nice BSP came up and grabbed the LC right in front of me. He turned out to be a little over 13”. I think if I didn’t have that keeper on, the eel grass woulda slid right down to my LC and screwed up that bite. Actually saw quite a few times when the salad got stopped from sliding down to the LC during the retrieve. I’d say it’s been a fairly successful test over the last couple of days.

My second test victim

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/2nd_victim.jpg

and his friend...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/perch.jpg

THE NEW PB

Today, I went for another quick late-morning hit. While fishing from the same spot that I got the first test victim, I take a good hit right in front of me. He starts taking a little drag, but I could feel a fair amount of weight and he starts making his way around some rocks in front of me and dogging. I’m thinking this might be a nice flattie, but to my surprise I get this...:Shocked:

Taped out at around 18”. I tried to get a head and tail shot to show the measurements better but he kept flopping around too much and I wanted to get him back in the water. He barely stayed still for this shot. Didn’t realize I didn’t get his tail in there. Shoulda fired off some more shots. :Embarrassed: Call it 17" if it you're doubting. I put the tape measurement flat behind him when I did the initial measurement.:Wink:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/sandy.jpg

I’ve caught quite a few nicer turd rollers in my life, but I consider anything caught in the surf since I’ve been using the LC and dropshotting (without the bait and wait game), PBs.

On the bad side of things, I ended up losing the LC that I got this guy on. I made a boneheaded mistake when I backlashed and tried to undo it while the lure was in the water. The slack line wrapped around some rocks and cut when I tried to get it free...BONEHEAD!:Angry: I shoulda reeled over the birdsnest and casted across the shoreline to work the backlash free.:Rolls Eyes: That makes it somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 or 16 LCs lost for the year...I’ve lost count and don’t want to know. It’s starting to piss me off.:LOL:

Hope the C-keeper tip helps you guys out there....
Don

Some bonus shots over the last month...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt1.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt2.jpg

My buddy Nate (BBQSUSHI) and the first flattie he ever got to photograph. He had a couple before, but they always fell back into the surge before we could capture the evidence. :LOL:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/nate.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/nates_release.jpg

No report complete without a Colonel Croaker shot:Wink:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/YFC-1.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt3.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt4.jpg

First kelpfish I've got from the surf...ever. These guys got a mean bite. Even after I got the hook out, he would NOT let go on the fluke. Took quite a bit of yankin before I got it lose.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/kelpfish.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt5.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt6.jpg

Been seeing a lot of bird action in the surf over the last month or so

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/birds-1.jpg

Guess there's a lot of this in the water. This picture makes it look like an anchovy but it had a small mouth and looked like a baby smelt up close. Snagged him on my LC.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/bait.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt7.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/butt8.jpg

This guy had me fooled. After all the shorts I've gotten lately, I thought for sure he was gonna make the cut. Came up just short. Damn kids trying to get into the club with a fake I.D.! :LOL:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Flat_21.jpg

Wingnut
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Now how did Nate get security clearance to fish that spot??? :LOL:

Congrats on the PB surf Sandie, JerryG got a nice one at the same place a few months ago. Calico and Sand Bass seems to love that spot. :Wink:

I won't be back in town until Thanksgiving... keep the enemy in check while I'm gone. :Envious:

Thanks for the heads up on the Carolina Keepers. That is "Out of the Box" thinking... I like that. :Cool:

Cadillyak
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Very nice pics and way to try something out of the norm. Will have to give it a shot next time I'm fishing around eel grass.

bones
11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow....What a run down Don. Good job out there buddy. I've done the same thing TWICE after a professional over run and lost two soldiers in action. I had to laugh at that one. Great job with the field testing the new weed avoidence system and of course congrats on the new PB turd roller! Pretty nice perch you got there too!
Thanks for making me smile since I've been knocked on my azzzzz the last three days with this gnarly flu bug!
Keep up the good work out there soldier.

murrieta angler
11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Very, very nice report Don!!!
I for one appreciate that info on the bead thing.
I will give it a try this weekend...:Envious:
Congrats on taking the sandie lead....:mad: NO REALLY!!! :Big Grin:
You've had a nice assortment of fish lately and hopefully the WSB will come to town, now that water has cooled off a bit...:Wink:
If it breaks down here, I'll let you know and I can get you that Scotch that I was telling you about..:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and pics Bro,
Robert
<><

p.s. Thanks for trying to take the "Lost LC Contest" hehe

dlmoo312
11-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Congrats on your PB sand bass, Don!
It's great to see that you were able to catch a nice variety of different species.
That kelpfish looks really cool! first time seeing one
I just got back from an outing today myself and the only fish that seem to show me any love lately are perch!
That kelp keeper would of come in handy for me today for sure!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

dkinla
11-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Wow that's a cool idea. Will have to give that a try sometime.

Thx for the report and congrats on your PB!

koifish
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
what a nice session and variety of different species you got there. Congrats to your new PB.

Which Way Out
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Nice idea using the keeper.
I have a bunch of them and will give em a try next time out. We have our fair share of the Smeg to deal with:Head Bang:. Could of used one this morning, it might of helped.

Otherwise a great report on the past adventures. Thanks for sharing

WWO

fishshep
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Excellent informational report !!! :Smile:

Great pic.s too !

Really liked the LC.s double hook up shot

of the Hali,s bottom and top lip !!! :LOL:

sidified
11-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Great report, Bachi.. It's really a treat when someone surfaces a new technique... and any tips helping to deal with eel grass is very welcome...I'm looking forward to trying it out.. (maybe it will help get me off my butt and onto the sand)
Cheers..

smokehound
11-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I'll have to give this a try.. Nice tip!

Newfishsmell
11-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Great report Don

Congrats on pb surf Sandi !!

Cartman
11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I enjoyed your report very much, and thanks for the advice on the carolina keeper. I will put that to use.

Captain_hook
11-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Man what an amazing job u worked out there that day!! Good job so I fished that small spot further north and we did good as well! A lot of halibut lurking there!

frankjz
11-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Very cool idea on the keeper. I'll give it a go next time out. Congrats and thanks.

skunked4life
11-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the report. Now I am itching to get back on the surf! Argh!!!! must go fishing....

peanutbutter
11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
nice report im for shure gonna try that tip thanks

bachiboy
11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Please keep in mind...this is not a CURE ALL! AND when you are at water level, on the sand, it may appear that it didn't work at all when you lift the LC out of the water. Once you lift the c-keeper out of the water, a lot of times the salad will slide down to the LC. So, if you lift it out of the water quickly, it looks like the salad was on the LC the whole time. Try lifting it out slow and you'll see what I mean. :Wink:

Now how did Nate get security clearance to fish that spot??? :LOL:

Congrats on the PB surf Sandie, JerryG got a nice one at the same place a few months ago. Calico and Sand Bass seems to love that spot. :Wink:

I won't be back in town until Thanksgiving... keep the enemy in check while I'm gone. :Envious:

Thanks for the heads up on the Carolina Keepers. That is "Out of the Box" thinking... I like that. :Cool:

Thanks for the congrats sir! I was really hoping that I finally got a legal flattie out of that spot, but I'll take the nice turd!:LOL:

I figured Nate was fair game on that beach...long as we didn't run into Yuri! :Wink:

Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving! You'll have to give the c-keeper a once over when you get back.

Enjoy!!!!

Very nice pics and way to try something out of the norm. Will have to give it a shot next time I'm fishing around eel grass.

Thanks. It seems to be working fairly well...I won't say REALLY well cuz salad will always make it down to the lure here and there.

Wow....What a run down Don. Good job out there buddy. I've done the same thing TWICE after a professional over run and lost two soldiers in action. I had to laugh at that one. Great job with the field testing the new weed avoidence system and of course congrats on the new PB turd roller! Pretty nice perch you got there too!
Thanks for making me smile since I've been knocked on my azzzzz the last three days with this gnarly flu bug!
Keep up the good work out there soldier.

Thank you sir! Hope your feeling better and that the rain stays away enough over the weekend for you to make a run to the beaches.

Very, very nice report Don!!!
I for one appreciate that info on the bead thing.
I will give it a try this weekend...:Envious:
Congrats on taking the sandie lead....:mad: NO REALLY!!! :Big Grin:
You've had a nice assortment of fish lately and hopefully the WSB will come to town, now that water has cooled off a bit...:Wink:
If it breaks down here, I'll let you know and I can get you that Scotch that I was telling you about..:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and pics Bro,
Robert
<><

p.s. Thanks for trying to take the "Lost LC Contest" hehe

Thanks Robert! Hope that bead helps you get the ghost this weekend. The rain looks like it may put a little more chill in the water. Not sure if that will help or hurt. Sure seems like the squid don't care....been hearing about a lot of squirts around the coast. Good luck and looking forward to that Scotch with all this cold weather.

Oh, and that lost LC contest is definitely not one that I want to win! :LOL: But damn, I'm sure making a run at it!:Wink:

Congrats on your PB sand bass, Don!
It's great to see that you were able to catch a nice variety of different species.
That kelpfish looks really cool! first time seeing one
I just got back from an outing today myself and the only fish that seem to show me any love lately are perch!
That kelp keeper would of come in handy for me today for sure!
Thanks for the report!

Hey Daniel!
Those perch are some pigs that you've been getting. Nothing wrong with that at all, and most the fish I've been getting are one's and two's per session, so the action hasn't been completely hot. I woulda loved to have gotten into one of your pig-fests!:Wink: Good luck out there!

Wow that's a cool idea. Will have to give that a try sometime.

Thx for the report and congrats on your PB!

Thanks! Just trying my best to live up to the SWAT code of helping others out there! :Wink: Good luck and looking forward to more of your success stories.

what a nice session and variety of different species you got there. Congrats to your new PB.

Thanks C! Like I mentioned above, this is cumulative results from a LOT of sessions. Most were one's and two's per day. Not a lot of fast and furious action, but I'm very thankful to have caught something to share with everyone.

Nice idea using the keeper.
I have a bunch of them and will give em a try next time out. We have our fair share of the Smeg to deal with:Head Bang:. Could of used one this morning, it might of helped.

Otherwise a great report on the past adventures. Thanks for sharing

WWO

Thanks Bill! Hope the tip helps you get into some more fish!

Excellent informational report !!! :Smile:

Great pic.s too !

Really liked the LC.s double hook up shot

of the Hali,s bottom and top lip !!! :LOL:

Thanks FS! Gotta admit...you're reports on the DS made me go to it more and more lately. Wish I could say that all these fish came on a session like the one's you and Dan have had this past summer, but it took a lot of days to accumulate this total.:LOL: That shot of the double-hooked fish is cool...he definately wasn't gonna give us the slip...looking at it closely, I think that is actually Nate's fish. I don't use stock sardine patterns much anymore.:Wink:

Great report, Bachi.. It's really a treat when someone surfaces a new technique... and any tips helping to deal with eel grass is very welcome...I'm looking forward to trying it out.. (maybe it will help get me off my butt and onto the sand)
Cheers..

Thanks Sid! Time for you to go test that out and give us that "glory" report! :Wink: Looking forward to it...

I'll have to give this a try.. Nice tip!

Hope it helps Smokes!:Wink:

Great report Don

Congrats on pb surf Sandi !!

Thanks Chuck! Hope to hear some more success stories from you soon!

I enjoyed your report very much, and thanks for the advice on the carolina keeper. I will put that to use.

Your welcome! Best of luck out there!

Man what an amazing job u worked out there that day!! Good job so I fished that small spot further north and we did good as well! A lot of halibut lurking there!

Thanks Robert! Not all done in one day, but those perch did come from "the spot".:Wink: Hope to see you out there again soon!

Very cool idea on the keeper. I'll give it a go next time out. Congrats and thanks.

Thanks! Hope in comes in handy for you.

Thanks for the report. Now I am itching to get back on the surf! Argh!!!! must go fishing....

Time to get back out there S4L...gotta go beat that last PB!:Wink:

nice report im for shure gonna try that tip thanks

Thanks for reading! Hope it helps you get that legal. :Wink:

DockRat
11-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Good selection there.
Thanks for the report.
DR

jinbow
11-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Great tip Bachiboy. And love the report.
Congrats to Batman from HG4.

bloox8
11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the C-keeper tip! It would FOR SURE be useful for the area that I've been trying to fish. Eel grass seems to be natural in that AO that so I am glad there's still hope for the LC there. I'll definitely let you know how it goes so you can add to your research :Cool:
And Congrats on the PB sand bass :Big Grin: Was he on the C-keeper also? If so, double congrats!

Thanks for the report and extra pics,

Thien

P.S. May all your LCs rest in peace

blackwater
11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Sweet tip Don, now only if I can make to the water I can try it out, hahaha
Nice mix of fish bro. Hope to fish with you one of these days. :Cool:
Way to uphold the SWAT code. :Big Grin:

PTN
11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Great report Don and even better tip with the c-rig keeper to keep the weeds off. I'll be definitely using this and nice variety of fish. Thanks!

-Peter

bachiboy
11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Good selection there.
Thanks for the report.
DR

Thanks DR!

Great tip Bachiboy. And love the report.
Congrats to Batman from HG4.

Thanks Albert! Great fishing with you and your buddy on Sunday...wish it were a little more productive. Hope to see you out there again soon.

Thanks for the C-keeper tip! It would FOR SURE be useful for the area that I've been trying to fish. Eel grass seems to be natural in that AO that so I am glad there's still hope for the LC there. I'll definitely let you know how it goes so you can add to your research :Cool:
And Congrats on the PB sand bass :Big Grin: Was he on the C-keeper also? If so, double congrats!

Thanks for the report and extra pics,

Thien

P.S. May all your LCs rest in peace

Thanks Thien! Yes, the sandbass also came with a c-keeper on the line. I'm fishing with it on always these days cuz it doesn't seem to effect the fishes' desire to hit and most the time there's at least eel grass floating around. Ran into "ton-o-salad" on Sunday...ain't no c-keeper big enough to save me from the salad that day. The LCs are resting peacefully...at least more than I am about losing them. :LOL::Wink:

Sweet tip Don, now only if I can make to the water I can try it out, hahaha
Nice mix of fish bro. Hope to fish with you one of these days. :Cool:
Way to uphold the SWAT code. :Big Grin:

Thanks Phuong! Man, we need to get you back out there, but the "real life" stuff does take priority. Hope your daughter is doing well after that episode before HG4 and hope you and your family have a great holiday!!!

Great report Don and even better tip with the c-rig keeper to keep the weeds off. I'll be definitely using this and nice variety of fish. Thanks!

-Peter

Thanks Peter! Hope that tip comes in handy for you. Look forward to fishing with you again soon!:Wink: