PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 11/12/12 WO late in the day

Mojave River Angler
11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
A friend and I hit up the west end of BBL via kayak. I think we put in about a little before noon. Started working the west end and then trolled over into boulder bay and back out to the middle pulling spinners and Thomas boyant. This took several hours and we only had one bite and miss and one catch of a smaller trout. I was starting to think it would be another one of those "we had a nice kayak ride" kind of days. Well, I got tired and handed off the paddle to my friend. Within half an hour he put us on the fish and it went wide open for 2 hours before the sun sunk over the mountaintop. We had double hookups, tangled lines, and total chaos at times. It was the most fun fishing I've had since spring in Baja. Most fish were in the 1.5 to 2 lbs. range. Maybe two were over 2 lbs. We had almost limits and started to head for the truck. I kept the lines out and kept working hard and keeping them clean (almost impossible with all the grass cut loose and floating around). About half way to the truck the little pole goes bendo again. I get a hand on it and I can tell there is a fighter there. Turns out to be the largest natural I've ever pulled from BBL (2-3). It was quite long and slender with full fins all the way around and larger mouth. When I cleaned it the meat was yellow, as opposed to orange or pink like we see in all the hybrids.

One of the stalkers had almost mature eggs. Another had large sperm sacks.
All of them had stomachs full of somthing very small that looked like black cream of wheat. I assume some kind of tiny bug.
None had fish in their stomachs.
They bit on anything moving in the water but we were slow trolling night crawlers and powerbait of all kinds of flavors/colors on long leaders. I had just picked up some 6lb Izorline that I though was a little on the large and stiff order for 6 lb. stuff. I used it anyway and it worked great... probably won't buy more. I really prefer the maxima and pline fluro.

Had a great kayak ride too.
We've all seen trout pictures, right? Oh, you need PROOF?

MRA

gavin310
11-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Awesome! Such a good feeling when the bite suddenly turns on. I wish I could be fishing at Big Bear right now...