PDA

View Full Version : first sheep head ever caught

bassknuckles
11-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Within the last few months a buddy of mine has got me into fishing and well, I'm addicted to it. We went out on a 10am- 3pm fishing trip out of Dana point on thurs afternoon. We had live squid to fish with and man did it make a difference. I'm still rocking my 40$ walmart special its a shimano lake rod and reel combo with Berkley vanish 12 lb test. I was using a 1/2 ounce slider with a circle hook can't remember what size though. I ended up coming home with 9 good sized fish including my first sheep head. I ended the day with 3 sheep heads,4 sand bass,and 2 calicos. I Learned some good lessons fishing kelp had a few get away and 1 break my line, and the guys on the boat were a huge help. Here's a pic of my biggest one caught that day.

bassfishing24/7
11-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Nice fish,I also caught my first sheephead this year,it wasn't in the colorful phase of its life like urs tho!

Marley
11-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Oh, my goodness. Sounds like you're gut-hooked for sure. Welcome aboard! That's a very respectable goat, and some pretty good eating, too.
Good luck in your briny hunts, both on the water and in the tackle shops!

bassknuckles
11-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Hey thanks, yes Deff hooked I need to invest in some better gear though pulling that guy in on my 6'6 light rod was Deff a challenge

fishmounter
11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice California Sheephead! You know they all start out as pinkish/red females, but change into the red and black males at about 3-4 lbs. Hey what happened to your hand? Get bit by that fish? They sure have the teeth and jaws to do some damage.

Armofisher818
11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice! I remember my first sheep head, not as big as yours though! What happened to your hand?

TUNAVIC
11-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Very nice goat,welcome to the sport,and board!

Cya Tuna Vic

bassknuckles
11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Nice! I remember my first sheep head, not as big as yours though! What happened to your hand?

I was shot through my hand in Afghanistan

HawgStalker
11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Nice man... Congrats on your first Shheephead! Sooo tasty....

Thanks for sharing and your service.... Happy Veterans Day!!!