PDA

View Full Version : Pier Fishing with Artificials....Venice...Redondo...

connordoyle
11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Does anyone have any luck with Swim baits or LC's on the pier?? I fish the venice pier AT LEAST once a week and never see anyone using them. I fish the end for sharks and rays with squid or whatever my sabiki brings me, Or I'll just put some squid on the bottom to sit and then fish the top for mackerel. I'd love to catch some halibut there but apparently I dont know the tricks, HELP ME! ha. From reading a lot of the posts on this forum Im interested to try some lures out. Ive fished the east coast with them with huge success. Does anyone have luck on the piers with them?? or any other special pier tricks to share??? If you fish the venice pier at all, come say hello!

peanutbutter
11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
i used to fish alot at samo pier and never!!!!!!!! saw anyone throw lcs maybe some swimbaits but not lc so i dont think you would have luck on piers but on jettys its a different story ive seen a some posts of people catching ghosts (white sea bass) and many halis caught of jetties too id go with the jetty's those are my .02

smokehound
11-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Drop-shot! When you cast, keep the bail down and let it sink for a minute, to ensure it hits the bottom.

Sometimes, I'll keep a distance of 3 feet between the hook and sinker, so I can poke around a little higher around the pilings.

Halis also sometimes prefer to attack the middle of the water column, or slightly below, so a larger distance between the hook and line can really make a difference.

There are actually alot of nice fish around piers. Try to find a time where the tide is extremely low, that way you can see which pilings have the best growth on them, therefore, the best habitat.

DockRat
11-10-2012, 06:33 AM
LC's don't work on piers because you would be elevated to high and it would not make it to the bottom.
Try drop shot like SH said or catch some smelt (chum very small bread pieces).
They live a long time in a bucket. Cast a smelt way out there with a weight. Reel in about 10' every 5 minutes. Good luck and welcome to FNN.
DR

connordoyle
11-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys!

connordoyle
11-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Drop-shot! When you cast, keep the bail down and let it sink for a minute, to ensure it hits the bottom.

Sometimes, I'll keep a distance of 3 feet between the hook and sinker, so I can poke around a little higher around the pilings.

Halis also sometimes prefer to attack the middle of the water column, or slightly below, so a larger distance between the hook and line can really make a difference.

There are actually alot of nice fish around piers. Try to find a time where the tide is extremely low, that way you can see which pilings have the best growth on them, therefore, the best habitat.

Now with the drop shot rig you're talking about, are you talking about putting live bait on the hook? Dead bait? Artificial?

murrieta angler
11-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Howdy,
I tried throwing an LC, but you are just too high from the surface.
The 110's only dive 2 feet at best.
But, if you are near the entrance of the pier, and it is shallow, you might have a chance.
Nice striper, is that from back east?
Thanks for the report and I hope you get the right info you need.
Robert
<><

murrieta angler
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Now with the drop shot rig you're talking about, are you talking about putting live bait on the hook? Dead bait? Artificial?

I beleive they are talking about using something like a Zoom Fluke ( artificial ).
Also some gulp would be good. Sand crabs, shrimp..etc
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

Re8elmonk0341
11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm trying to figure out that fish is in the last picture..............looks like a Jack of some kind.

connordoyle
11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
It's a bluefish, caught that and the striper in Rhode Island a few months back. The blue fish actually bit off a decent chunk of my thumb, haha. So I ate him...

smokehound
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Hell yeah, Id eat that sucker too!

i hear those fish really cause problems and interfere with surf fishermen back east. Almost on a sea-lion magnitude haha

They look like a really brutal fun fight, though!