PDA

View Full Version : Favorite shad net

snospdr
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
How about some feedback on your favorite shad dip net and technique? Some people put big bucks into their nets and some don't. Some people swing down, some stab their net into a school. I read about one guy that casts a small spinner bait that shad follow, then nets them as they get close. Any input?
Thanks!

DarkShadow
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
How about some feedback on your favorite shad dip net and technique? Some people put big bucks into their nets and some don't. Some people swing down, some stab their net into a school. I read about one guy that casts a small spinner bait that shad follow, then nets them as they get close. Any input?
Thanks!

Unless they're thick, any net without a fluorocarbon net material will be difficult to net shad with.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?68442-f-s-american-rod-company-shad-net

That's the best, IMO. Pricy yes, but you get what you pay for.

kaneo
11-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks! its a little more difficuly than that.. takes some practice to use them.. i have one for sale in the classifieds. and would give you advice on how to net the shad.. let me know if you interested ? there is an art or science to netting shad.. you just dont dip down and get bait... much more involved.

kaneo
11-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks! its a little more difficuly than that.. takes some practice to use them.. i have one for sale in the classifieds. and would give you advice on how to net the shad.. let me know if you interested ? there is an art or science to netting shad.. you just dont dip down and get bait... much more involved.

shinbob
11-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Shad, especially those little ones, are FAST! There's definitely a technique to getting them. I think some folks expect to just put the net in the water and scoop them up by the handfuls, but they're much much too fast for that.

Buy kaneo's net (ARC nets are great) and get the pointers from him. Or you can hire a guide to show you how it's done (Dave H. showed me, and he's a great guide. Rich Tauber also does shad trips). However, the guide will cost you more than just buying the net and doing a few practice trips yourself.