PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for Opaleye

Lightline
11-06-2012, 08:17 PM
What's the biggest opaleye youve ever caught?

Whats your technique?

Whats your bait?

bassfishing24/7
11-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I've only caught palm size opaleye but I saw some guys catch some nice size ones using peas...yes green peas!

smokehound
11-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I know of a little rockpile that attracts enormous opaleye.

they are very skittish, these are intelligent fish. chances of successfully hooking the old wise opaleye are pretty slim, even with ultralight tackle and line.

You dont HAVE to use peas. Fresh mussels are actually more effective, just a tiny piece on a tiny hook. Peas still work fine, though. Just remember the bigger ones need some trickery to hook..

The monsters I've seen will only hit flylined bait, and even then, they carefully and gently nibble the sides to taste it first.

Even better, that kelp that grows on the hulls of boats that havent been used in months. (depending on the tides, it might not be possible to obtain without wading or trespassing.)

DockRat
11-10-2012, 06:22 AM
I took these pics of a 18" Giant Opaleye.
Caught on the Topaz jetty in Redondo by the guy in the pic.
DR

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/2011.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/brandonfish/201.jpg

Lightline
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow the bigger ones look like some nice game fish and can put up a fight.
Its so big it doesn't even look like an opaleye and more.

the lips look all tore up.

Doomsdaymachine
11-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Caught a five pounder off the sportfishing pier in KH a long time ago. 6lb test, small hook, lightest splitshot I had. Using frozen peas. I had to let it hang really close to the piling, and had to give my bait away to a TON of smaller fish before she took a bite. Squeezing a fist full of the peas and chumming really helped get a lot of bigger fish into view from under the pier.

Ifishtoolittle
11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Caught a five pounder off the sportfishing pier in KH a long time ago. 6lb test, small hook, lightest splitshot I had. Using frozen peas. I had to let it hang really close to the piling, and had to give my bait away to a TON of smaller fish before she took a bite. Squeezing a fist full of the peas and chumming really helped get a lot of bigger fish into view from under the pier.

Do you have a photo of the beast?

one long cast
11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Very nice opy. Used to fish for them in Laguna Beach on the rocks at the bottom of Moss St. My Dad and I used green peas, fresh mussles from the rocks and boat dock moss, freshly removed from a dock. The fish ran 2 to 4 pounds and fought well. Because of the rocks we used lead sinks that we made with a small spoon so they wouldn't catch in the rocks. remember using 4 or 6 bait holder hooks. Oh the best part, they are a very good eating flesh.

flyhigh123
11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
do opaleye taste good?

Went to catalina and caught a few of them.

bassknuckles
11-12-2012, 03:48 PM
37840i think they are good. Just cut the head tail and fins off scale and pan fry em up. this si my biggest.

CrownTown
11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
37840i think they are good. Just cut the head tail and fins off scale and pan fry em up. this si my biggest.

Ha is this off Avalon? I love using pees there. The Opal eye get HUGE but I almost feel like it's cheating because people feed those fish all the time and they eat almost anything... Still I notice the large ones are very smart and you need to fly-line your bait like smokehound said

smokehound
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I dont like eating them. They taste OKAY.. but I felt pretty bad for the last one I ate.

They seem to exhibit metacognition, which was why I felt bad..

CPR for me..

Doomsdaymachine
11-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Do you have a photo of the beast?

I'll have to dig. Have it on film, and in the Western Outdoor News. Heh...I was a teenager still.

bassknuckles
11-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Yes it was off the pier in Avalon me and the wife were on vacation and did a lil fishing off the pier we released everything we caught

Lightline
11-13-2012, 04:12 PM
I dont like eating them. They taste OKAY.. but I felt pretty bad for the last one I ate.

They seem to exhibit metacognition, which was why I felt bad..

CPR for me..

Metacognition?..?

hmmmm...

i think I have to agree with you. There's certain fish that when you catch them and hold them they seem to look at you.

opaleye, croaker and tuna has that look.

But it doesn't stop many from eating the tuna...

smokehound
11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
They would make awesome pets.
Some fish will rub against you like a cat when you feed them.

opaleyes would be the perfect large marine tank fish.

Natural Lefty
11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
I think they would make good pets, too, although I think you give Opaleyes a bit too much credit for intelligence, Smokehound. They do seem more intelligent than most fish, though. I usually catch them on Mussels, and I have a technique that works very well for them which involves attaching a bobber to the end of my line. They can actually be very gullible, especially on light line, although pretty difficult to hook.

The biggest ones I have caught have been around a pound; I haven't caught any of the really big ones, at least not yet.

I find they taste quite good if you fillet them and fry them. In fact, they are some of the better fish I have eaten when prepared that way.

Lightline
12-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Opaleye Sashimi

Jamesbryantoeng
01-10-2013, 03:39 PM
I 've had opaleye serve as sashimi, not that great. Due to their diet i think it taste very fishy with kelp taste. Try Calico Bass sashimi it was really great.