PDA

View Full Version : Trout rod/reel setup??

j-DuBb
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Hows it going everyone ..... just getting into trout fishing (been a salt guy for a long time) and ive seen guys tossing/casting mini jigs with ease while im having trouble getting any distance with mine. Just seeing what would a decent trout setup be if im tubing and also fishing from the shore?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, if you can give both High priced setups and the best bang for your buck would be great.

Mainly trying to get reel suggestions or mid range setups but ill take any help you can give.

Thanks in advance!!

j-dubb

bcoy61
11-06-2012, 12:15 PM
how's it going, it all depends on what your willing to spend$$$.. I use a 7ft. ultra-lite rod with a matching reel (Shimano symetre Fl 1000 reel with a phenix elixir Fx701 rod) this is what i use and it works for me very well on casting lite jig's and/or bait.. oh about your line, i use 2lb. to 4lb. only the brand of line is up to you.

angelsfan951
11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
for reels i would go with the pfluger 1000 ($50) series or the shimano stradic ci4($200) BIGEST DIFFERENCE is the weight of the reel. they are both really good and drags are great on both. But if ur going to be thrown jigs all day u want the lightest set up u can get IMO. i do own both and thats the only difference i see. it all comes down how much cash u want to blow. On Rods i would go with a blackrock tackle trout or any UL set up longer the 7feet. My best set up i have for mini jigs is the 7'6 blackrock tackle trout rod with the CI4 reel and that things cast minijigs with no effort. I mostly fish from shore and no preoblems at all .

jaggerbub
11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Loomis tsr rod and ci4 is a great setup. I love mine...

Poxy Boggards
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I would recomend a Phenix Elixir series rod. The Elixir is by far the most versitile rod in the Phenix line-up and can easily toss jigs, spilt shot power worms or dropshot your favorite plastic.

As for reels, I really like all of my Shimanos. The Symetre, Saros and stradic CI4 in 1000 size are all proven trout slayers. Smooth drag with a nice sound, and cast like champs.

Best bet is to buy a used rod and reel to save yourself some money. Make sure to get a feel for a rod and reel before laying out money for them. Make a smart choice, and have a set up that will last a lifetime.

j-DuBb
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the input so far .... definitely going to look into the recommendations that you guys have suggested.

Any suggestions for a setup around the $100 mark??

fishreaper
11-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the input so far .... definitely going to look into the recommendations that you guys have suggested.

Any suggestions for a setup around the $100 mark??

I use the fenwick elite tech river runner 6'8'' ultra light with a pflueger trion not the priciest of reels but its really light and i can toss jigs really easily with it. Someone on the board is selling one for $80 obo i would jump on it great deal you wont regret it

the killa fish taco
11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Call me bro... I can hook you up