PDA

View Full Version : Braid for the Surf?

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
So, I have lost a little over $140 on lucky crafts due to my line being too light and it snapping. For a college student, it gets a little heartbreaking watching those things fly away into the surf. It's almost like watching a textbook fly into the ocean. At any point, I was wondering if anyone used braid for the surf and if they do, typically what #. Also, do you need a leader or anything else? Thanks for the input. As always tight lines and God bless.

SSAL

Cadillyak
11-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I throw 20lb vermillion red power pro (6lb diameter) and use no leader when fishing big hammers and LC's. Still hook up with fish just as much as the next guy. The only time I use a leader is when I dropshot. $20 lures are something that I like to keep near and dear.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I was wondering, with the braid, do you still get the same casting distance as the 6lb or does the fact that its 20lb lower the casting distance?

jaggerbub
11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Casting distance is way better with braid. I use 15lb powerpro on the surf with no leader fishing straight braid when throwing the lc.

Cadillyak
11-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I have no problems in casting distance with braid. Its nice to know that you can throw as hard as you like and not risk losing a lure, at least I haven't yet. Really love the sensitivity too.

DockRat
11-06-2012, 05:01 AM
I'm running 15 lb Spiderwire. Same diameter as 4 lb mono. Works great.
DR

bassfishing24/7
11-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Braid makes an awesome wizzzz sound when u cast,but it can get bad line lock or pinching ur reel when u hook up to a big fish....

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Braid makes an awesome wizzzz sound when u cast,but it can get bad line lock or pinching ur reel when u hook up to a big fish....

^ What? lol :???:

bassfishing24/7
11-06-2012, 03:33 PM
If u haven't used braid u won't understand,but give it a try & u will know wat I mean...

dlmoo312
11-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Besides the wizz sound, he means that if you hook up to a big fish, the resulting pressure may cause the line to dig into the spool in between the spooled line. If you don't correct this before you make another cast, your line won't come off of the spool smoothly and will "lock up" when the line coming off reaches the area's where it is wedged in between the rest of the spooled line and you'll probably end up with a big tangled mess.. I like to use braid in the surf, but it would be a good idea to always be aware of this.. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Hope that helps.

-Daniel

bassfishing24/7
11-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Besides the wizz sound, he means that if you hook up to a big fish, the resulting pressure may cause the line to dig into the spool in between the spooled line. If you don't correct this before you make another cast, your line won't come off of the spool smoothly and will "lock up" when the line coming off reaches the area's where it is wedged in between the rest of the spooled line and you'll probably end up with a big tangled mess.. I like to use braid in the surf, but it would be a good idea to always be aware of this.. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Hope that helps.

-Daniel
Yes exactly wat I meant.thanx for adding a detailed explanation.

DockRat
11-06-2012, 07:11 PM

-Daniel
Your talking baitcasters right ? Definitely happens on conventional sw reels.
The line wedge doesn't occur much on spinners.
Caught 4 carp today on a 2 hour lunch breack (only beached 2) haven't had any line wedge on that reel. All on a Shimano Symetere (spinner) with 15 lb Spiderwire and 4 lb flouro leader. Jumpers every minute all over.
C&R ed, 2 lost in the rocks, 1 biggin @ 26" about 10 lbs.
LA River is on fire. Cornholio. http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/corn_eating_3.gif
DR

dlmoo312
11-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Your talking baitcasters right ? Definitely happens on conventional sw reels.
The line wedge doesn't occur much on spinners.
Caught 4 carp today on a 2 hour lunch breack (only beached 2) haven't had any line wedge on that reel. All on a Shimano Symetere (spinner) with 15 lb Spiderwire and 4 lb flouro leader. Jumpers every minute all over.
C&R ed, 2 lost in the rocks, 1 biggin @ 26" about 10 lbs.
LA River is on fire. Cornholio. http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/corn_eating_3.gif
DR

Oh yea, thanks for bringing that up! I was talking about baitcasters. I dont think it would be a problem at all on spinning setups. Also, to answer the OP's question.. I used 30# power pro spectra for throwing lc's in the surf. It still casts far and it gives me a little peace of mind about losing lcs :Smile:

DR, that sounds like a good time on a light setup :Big Grin: some of those carp can get huge!

-Daniel

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Thanks everyone. The advice was appreciated.

DockRat
11-07-2012, 05:50 AM
I don't think they get that big in LA river, pretty sure the cap off around 10 - 15 lbs.
Nice drag burner yesterday was my PB. Drove down at Cherry beach to toss LCs, Krocs then after a sitting and thinking about it I opted for 7 11 canned corn and hit the river.
DR