PDA

View Full Version : First trip to the Vine for the Opener...

socal114
11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I finally got out to the vine for the first time with my buddies, Steve (Trout Killa) and Ernie, and camped out two nights to avoid the line Sat/Sun. We had a great site, large and right on Woody's Cove. Unfortunately, the view was of a dry lake bottom due to the water level being down so low. Really enjoyed the convenience of being inside and the ease of purchasing our passes and launching without a wait. The staff was great and the large, clean, open water was a breath of fresh air. Lots of good water to fish without dodging other tubes or boats, even though it was opening weekend. Saturday's bite was excellent, even though none of us knew the lake that well. Most of our fish came along the bouys of the west shoreline. We moved over to the flats for the last two hours of the day, which is where Steve and I caught our biggest of the weekend. Today was very slow for me, which I'm sure had a lot to do with the heat. I metered a lot of fish along the west shore, but couldn't get many to bite. All of our fish came on trout worms and jigs in various colors. There was a lot of color changing to find out what they wanted. Had a great time and I'm looking forward to heading back. Here's a quick vid of my best (4.5#) that "almost wasn't"...:Shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_rEgyct4M

Marley
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Nice fish! And a good save. If you end up fishing Irvine more than a few times you will definitely want to get a much bigger net... Good job on the fish, especially for not really knowing the lake.

Cadillyak
11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Close call but good fish and great rebound. I had a similar incident but mine went the other way. Tight lines

socal114
11-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I learned my lesson last year at LNL with my net and a 13# hawg. I was able to land the fish, but not without the help of a friend tubing next to me. With that disaster averted, I went out bought a bigger net the next day. I just forgot to bring it this weekend. I noticed most, if not all of the 5#+ fish were taken on the troll. As others mentioned on another thread, there were a lot of quality fish coming out this weekend.

Thisfool
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
cool good job man glad to see you guys had a good time and were able to pierce some fish lips lol

5150fishn
11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the report and vid. Glad you got out there and slayed some trout!

See Chris Fish
11-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Great fish and nice recovery.
Thanks for posting up.

Poxy Boggards
11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Nice Fish So Cal!

FKNChristopH
11-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Very stellar save haha

I'll be tubing there soon..

*shakkaa*

fishfnatic
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Nice save! That would have been a heart breaker. Thanks for the report and video.

phishin phool
11-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Nice save Jeff, she is a beauty! Hopefully share some water with ya this season.

Carptain_Bao
11-06-2012, 08:48 PM
close but good reaction man, nice catch right there!

socal114
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Nice save Jeff, she is a beauty! Hopefully share some water with ya this season.
What's up Terry? Definitely have to share some water soon. Have you been out yet locally this season?

TaperSteve
11-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Awesome report thanx for posting!

Hey we're having a Team 57 event next weekend "Trout"sgiving! It's free and everyone is welcome. Check the "Fishing Rendezvous" section here on FNN for more info.... hope you can make it!

TS