PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Perris

CrownTown
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Fly fished Perris twice in the past few weeks, once from shore and once from the tube and managed several bluegill and red ear. Looking to get something that is going to give me a real fight, and was wondering if anyone knows a good pattern for bass. I usually use full sink line with a wooly bugger and midge trailer. Also, trout season is coming up, would my wooly and midge pattern work for the little stockers as well? Any info or PM's would be appreciated.

This is the biggest of the 2 trips....

seal
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
A black wooly bugger is usually a very good pattern for both trout and bass and full sink should be the way to go at this point, you can strip in quick if fish are up in the column or let it sink if deeper.

Keep at it!

fishmounter
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I met a guy while float tubing named Larry at the Perris "water tower" near the south corner of the dam that uses his flyrod and sinking line and a small dark colored size 10 weighted nymph. He was catching twice as many big Bluegill and Redears as me, and I was using jigs and crickets! I know you mentioned that you wanted to catch fish that will put up a real fight, well I don't think there is a stronger fish, for it's size than a big Bluegill or Redear Sunfish. Hook into a 1 pounder (or more) on a light flyrod, and you're going to have a battle!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/LarryLP9-112-1.jpg

Tubbytuba
11-04-2012, 07:05 PM
ive caught everything on woolly buggers, they are the night crawlers of the fly fishing world. 4 trout species, arctic char, two salmon species, bass, pan fish of all types carp, catfish... then there's my salt water hit list too, and that's lengthy. point is, if it swims itll eat a woolly bugger. some times other flies work better, but nothing as consistent as the bugger. bead heads work well too. another good fly to check out is the white river fly shop's Alaska fry. its a florescent, semi transparent shiny green nymph with a Malibu tail. kills trout. you can catch tout at any lake or stream anywhere in the world with these two flies and a handful of bead heads

CrownTown
11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Cool, thanks for the info guys. Looks like the black wooly bugger is the way to go. I'll have to experiment with different sizes, but hearing that they catch bass too helps me feel more confident. I will post more reports with the trout plant coming soon.

@ Fishmounter: I was surprised how many pan fish went after the nymph considering it is only the size of a grain of rice, and I was able to hook 75% or so of them since the hook is so small. Sadly, I brought my six weight and they don't put up much of a fight on it... Need a lighter set up ha.

@TubbyTuba: I fish NPB and harbor a lot, and any fly patterns you use in the surf or bay that you would share with me would be appreciated. PM them to me if u'd like

Tubbytuba
11-05-2012, 05:06 PM
pm sent, tight lines bro

Flying
11-07-2012, 04:11 AM
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/flying_photos/Warmwater%20pics/0519091115.jpg

Thats what I use everywhere all the time for everything. #8 wooly bugger. I use peacock shuck for the body and olive grizzly hackle to give it more color.
I catch way more bass than trout at Perris with my so called trout fly. As a matter of fact I haven't caught any trout at Perris this year yet.
All my fishing is from a tube with full sink line. I'll tube Bernasconi most of the year and move to lot 12 during the winter and early spring.

Dci4me
11-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I got hit pretty hard a couple weeks ago on my #8 rod with full sink with an orange/brown wooly bugger. That pattern was recommended to me specifically for Perris. For stocked trout I always have good luck with a Griffiths Gnat. Sometimes I'll also add a midge dropper to it. That pattern has done well for me on the stockers.

tree
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Cool! Any tips for a guy who only has an 8wt flyrod?

lol I was able to hook up on a flylined robo :P

CrownTown
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Cool! Any tips for a guy who only has an 8wt flyrod?

lol I was able to hook up on a flylined robo :P

I use a 6# but i'm sure an 8# is great for some bigger bass. Ha robo on a fly rod, niiiice! I just picked up a few new flies from BPS after people responded to this post. One is a crawdad fly that ran me like $5-6, but looks amazing. Also got some larger black buggers (didn't see any with the peacock look "flying" posted a pic of sadly) and midges. There are a lot of good recommendations on this post and I'm sure a few of these guys wouldn't mind PMing you some info, they helped me a lot.

tree
12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah as a nooby to fly fishing, i just wanted to catch something on a fly rod, so I tied up a flylined roboworm :)

Viejo
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=tree;642692]Cool! Any tips for a guy who only has an 8wt flyrod?

Yep....get a 4wt rod. You can get a complete fly fishing set up kit for around $100 at Bass Pro or cabelas. Has everything you need to get started. Fishing with an 8wt is like the guys that toss the pyramid weights across the lake with powerbait. Way overkill. When you do start catching, it's a lot more fun on a lighter rod.

tree
12-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but as a Broke *** Bass Angler and broke *** college student, I can't afford a fly outfit. I need that money for books and tuition... or food and board... or gas and more gas...

oldschoolfishin'
12-04-2012, 11:45 AM
anglersdream.com has good quality flies, cheap. they have a limited selection, but they seem to be well made. I use black streamers, damsal fly nymphs, hair frogs for both large mouth, and blue gill/red ear.

Viejo
12-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but as a Broke *** Bass Angler and broke *** college student, I can't afford a fly outfit. I need that money for books and tuition... or food and board... or gas and more gas...
Pm me your address. I'll send you a rod that isn't built for catching great whites no charge. I've caught a lot of trout, bluegill and perch on this rod. I'll also send you a box of flies.

I won't send you directions to my honey holes.

tree
12-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Pm me your address. I'll send you a rod that isn't built for catching great whites no charge. I've caught a lot of trout, bluegill and perch on this rod. I'll also send you a box of flies.

I won't send you directions to my honey holes.

AHAH! that'd be greatly appreciated! Ofc, directions to honey holes would be awesome, but exploring and finding my own with a flyrod would probably be so much more rewarding!]

edit: yeah, now that i'm thinking about an 8wt outfit vs. a 4wt outfit... that's probably more than double the rod strength and line weight, meaning I'm almost the equivalent of those fools with ocean poles and 30lb mono trying to catch bluegills... LOL :P

Dci4me
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think using an #8 for bass is anything similar to using pyramid sinkers with powerbait for Trout. I use an #8 because it is very difficult to toss say a 2/0 deceiver on sinking line in a #5. Also, when fishing waters that have Striper in them, it's always wise to use #7 or #8 just in case :EyePop: Also, when fishing catch and release, it increases your odds of a successful C&R if you don't have to play the fish for several minutes.