PDA

View Full Version : Let the debate start....Irvine or Corona???

Surfnsnowboard3
11-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Let me start by saying I am starting this thread to have a friendly debate about the following information.

I just watched the Irvine opening day video which stated that Irvine stocks "...more quality trout than other other single lake in all of Southern California." I also know that Corona claims they stock more trout than any other lake in Southern California.

If anybody noticed what I noticed about the above quote in the Irvine video that's different from years past is the caveat they said "quality" trout. I wonder if they are admitting Corona stocks more trout, but not an equal number of "quality" trout?

What do you think?

Which lake do you prefer and why?

ben0606
11-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I fish irvines opener every year for the past 4 years and have a blast. This year I got my pb trout in the boat with a 6.4 lber and a total of 6 limits between the 3 of us and that was because we took our time due to the fact that I didn't want to go home at 7am with a limit. Irvine IMO is always wide open for me.

Corona stocks a lot of quality as well with an average caught trout being 2-4 lbs for me. Here's the think I do t like about corona though, if u don't fish within a few days after stocking wide open is far and few. There but not like irvines wide open bite.

Due to irvines lake size on top of all other things such as quality, quantity, I give it to irvine for a better trip. Corona is good but too much pressure for such a small lake, or pond if you were in arizona. Although corona has night sessions and 24 hour passes camping on the shore which is a huge point getter for me but I still prefer irvine.

DynoDan
11-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Its the vine for me! I have my own boat so I can't way in on the shore fishing crowed but once you find the fish at the vine its on! I think the play on words is funny tho . I know that corona and Santa Ana and Anaheim try to hold the fish over till Saturday so you really don't know when then stock gets released. The topper for me is the staff. They really want u to catch fish from Danny to Jimmy to the Asian dude! They are A class! Huge shout out!

Surfnsnowboard3
11-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Its the vine for me! I have my own boat so I can't way in on the shore fishing crowed but once you find the fish at the vine its on! I think the play on words is funny tho . I know that corona and Santa Ana and Anaheim try to hold the fish over till Saturday so you really don't know when then stock gets released. The topper for me is the staff. They really want u to catch fish from Danny to Jimmy to the Asian dude! They are A class! Huge shout out!

10-26-2012, 10:47 PM #29 fishinglakes.com
FNN Editor

Originally Posted by the dude
Are you still going to be using the fish pins or are you going to stock the fish in the lakes this season!
At Corona Lake and Anaheim Lake, the fish all go directly into the Lakes.
Thanks!

Skyler
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Let the debate start...throw $25 in a fire or flush $25 down a toilet

Fixed that for you...

vortec_cruiser
11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
:Thumbs Up: What he just said above.

Marley
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM

I don't understand what the issue is with holding fish in nets for later release. A LOT of people, including one in this thread, complain that you have to fish within a couple of days of a plant in order to have WFO fishing. That's what the pens are there for: allow for fish to be in the lakes all week long. If you have ever fished SARL on a Saturday or a Sunday you know what a zoo the place can be. Fish won't bite in a zoo for very long for the vast majority of people so there's plenty of those fish left for Monday and Tuesday, plus any they held in a pen that gets released over the weekend (and they're all usually pretty hungry by then). Anaheim and Corona don't hold fish in pens anyway.
As for the original question, it's difficult to compare such vastly different places. Corona is like 10% the size of Irvine and 1/4 the depth at full pool. It has maybe 400 yards total shore fishing, and that's being generous. Irvine has several miles of it. When Corona plants 20,000 pounds of fish you can almost walk across their backs because there's nowhere to go, Irvine requires looking around just a little to find a meatball.
You fish them for different reasons. Even the fish are different. Irvine plants those gorgeous Calaveras fish, The Lakes stock those hard-bodied, hard-fighting Mackey fish, which includes their Lightning trout. I question both on their exaggerated and inflated size claims (never did see much of that 2200 pounds of double digit stuff dumped into Irvine a couple of seasons ago, did we? But then, doesn't that add to the fun of figuring out where to drown a worm (for me, literally :Wink: )?
When I fish any old regular day, I fish Corona or SARL (or LNL). I don't want to be hassled when I go fishing, and I don't always get that at Irvine. When I go to Irvine it's to fish a derby, maybe win a place in the Masters.
I guess I just like to fish.

DynoDan
11-06-2012, 07:09 AM
I don't understand what the issue is with holding fish in nets for later release. A LOT of people, including one in this thread, complain that you have to fish within a couple of days of a plant in order to have WFO fishing. That's what the pens are there for: allow for fish to be in the lakes all week long. If you have ever fished SARL on a Saturday or a Sunday you know what a zoo the place can be. Fish won't bite in a zoo for very long for the vast majority of people so there's plenty of those fish left for Monday and Tuesday, plus any they held in a pen that gets released over the weekend (and they're all usually pretty hungry by then). Anaheim and Corona don't hold fish in pens anyway.

I'll leave this alone for a diff thread! I go Irvine or LNL depending if I want to drag out my boat!

salmonboy
11-06-2012, 08:28 AM
corona lake because they have bigger fish....just wish they would control people with over limit and two many rods

boxl0bster
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
corona lake because they have bigger fish....just wish they would control people with over limit and two many rods

^^^ this. I like both lakes to be honest. I fish corona more because I consistently do better there, but thats not to say I haven't done well at Irvine too. Anyways Corona needs to really crack down on all the people who keep more than their limit and all those guys who use 4+ rods. I once had someone fishing next to me with 8 rods for one person.

DarkShadow
11-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Fixed that for you...

I'd prefer the fire.

At least you get more bang for your buck, especially if you marinate those bills in kerosene.

Skyler
11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I'd prefer the fire.

At least you get more bang for your buck, especially if you marinate those bills in kerosene.

Word.......

Ultralight
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=boxl0bster;637995 I once had someone fishing next to me with 8 rods for one person.[/QUOTE]

:EyePop: We had a guy whom we called 'six pole Louie' at our lake and he quit after being fined over $1K for the six rods and being over limit. He also lost the respect of many guys on the lake and the term became a standard joke.

UL

Skyler
11-07-2012, 04:22 PM
:EyePop: We had a guy whom we called 'six pole Louie' at our lake and he quit after being fined over $1K for the six rods and being over limit. He also lost the respect of many guys on the lake and the term became a standard joke.

UL

I like this Louie guy's style. You got an email for him? The bucket brigade is currently enlisting and we need some new blood...

ben0606
11-08-2012, 02:36 AM
I'll leave this alone for a diff thread! I go Irvine or LNL depending if I want to drag out my boat!

Ha ha.........yup.

Complain sure why not. I prefer fishing a Tuesday so I'm not crowded by 20 boats 5 ft away from mine and I also prefer a wide open bite. Don't know who wouldn't prefer a wide open bite.....???........I like corona but I love irvine being bigger and awesome fishing. Corona is good but for the size of the lake the fishing pressure is extreme which has awesome fishing too.

Regardless I love to fish, so bite me. Lol

JAG107
11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Corona was actually doing limit checks on the saturday opener a couple weeks ago, first time I've ever seen that, so they do seem to be doing something about the over limiters. They had a couple guys cruising around in a rental talking to everybody, asking themhow they were doing, how many fish they had, etc. I thought that was a big step in the right direction. They also had someone up top watching the action and actually threatened to 86 a guy for releasing a small one.
To answer the OP, I'm a Vine guy 99% of the time, unless there's some unusual bait n wait itch I need to scratch.

Thisfool
11-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Let me start by saying I am starting this thread to have a friendly debate about the following information.

I just watched the Irvine opening day video which stated that Irvine stocks "...more quality trout than other other single lake in all of Southern California." I also know that Corona claims they stock more trout than any other lake in Southern California.

If anybody noticed what I noticed about the above quote in the Irvine video that's different from years past is the caveat they said "quality" trout. I wonder if they are admitting Corona stocks more trout, but not an equal number of "quality" trout?

What do you think?

Which lake do you prefer and why?

your paying attention to the wrong part of the quotes lol

see corona is just corona but the fishing lakes include SARL/CORONA in the statement that they stock more trout then any other lake.

how ever when irvine states they stock more fish then any other single lake, they are correct.

a few years back this was a very hot topic. and both lakes were lobbing numbers around like cannon balls, basically irvine stockes 5,000lbs of trout a week SARL/CORONA stocks 7,000lbs of trout a week, how ever that gets split between two lakes

Soooooooo

both lakes are correct with there statments, irvine stokes the most lbs of fish per one single lake but SARL/CORONA stocks the most over all fish

either way both lakes are have a ton of quality fish to be caught so tight lines