PDA

View Full Version : Topping off with flouro?

skunked4life
11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
A few months ago, i sought advice as to the best knot to use to tie off flouro from my main braid line. I ended up using the improved albright and it served me well for fishing for perch in the surf.

Now as i step up my game to hunt the flat fishies, i am caught in another dilemma. I have lost three LC's due to my top shot of flouro breaking off. The legal butt i caught last week was using straight braid tied to the LC. i am afraid this was a fluke and now am left to wonder if i should go back to using flouro top shots. Does line visibility really make a big difference? Should i continue using straight braid? Should i go back to top shot of flouro?

What do you guys think?

Cadillyak
11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Personally I go with 20lb power pro (6lb diameter) in vermillion red and tie direct. I throw big hammers and LC's and have hooked up just as much as a friend using floro top shot. I've caught plenty species like this, and when u throw a 20$ lure, it's nice to know that 9 times out of 10 it's coming back. I'm sure floro is needed for those finicky fish, but I have yet to "need" a topshot. Just my 2cents. I do however use a topshot when dropshotting.

skunked4life
11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Personally I go with 20lb power pro (6lb diameter) in vermillion red and tie direct. I throw big hammers and LC's and have hooked up just as much as a friend using floro top shot. I've caught plenty species like this, and when u throw a 20$ lure, it's nice to know that 9 times out of 10 it's coming back. I'm sure floro is needed for those finicky fish, but I have yet to "need" a tips hot. Just my 2cents. I do however use a topshot when dropshotting.

Thanks! Believe me, your advice is worth more than 2 cents if it saves my 20 dollar lure!

Matt_Magnone
11-11-2012, 04:38 AM
A few months ago, i sought advice as to the best knot to use to tie off flouro from my main braid line. I ended up using the improved albright and it served me well for fishing for perch in the surf.

Now as i step up my game to hunt the flat fishies, i am caught in another dilemma. I have lost three LC's due to my top shot of flouro breaking off. The legal butt i caught last week was using straight braid tied to the LC. i am afraid this was a fluke and now am left to wonder if i should go back to using flouro top shots. Does line visibility really make a big difference? Should i continue using straight braid? Should i go back to top shot of flouro?

What do you guys think?

as long as you match your braid to leader size fairly close you should be go. i use a 6 turn albright fresh or salt and have had no problems whatsoever. the only thing most people fail to realize, and the most common reason for breakage is, with a braid to leader you have little to no stretch in your equation. to compensate its good to use one size action lighter in rod and back your drag off. in doing so, you'll allow yourself to be able to put max pressure on a fish without and problems. that last little surge or the actual hookset is when the leader tends to break. by backing your set up off, you'll control your controllables and maximize every opportunity.

straight braid is killer at times. in the surf zone, you shouldn't have to worry about it. slack water is another story.

smokehound
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I personally believe halis dont care about line.

I also do not believe fluoro line lowers your percentage of spooked fish due to line visibility..

I hear this argument all the time, and since I use mono, it just seems totally false to me.

October
11-20-2012, 08:02 PM
if you are going for Hali in the surf, 20-30lb green Power pro is what you should be using. Directly to the bait. They arent finicky like a lot of surf species (corbina, perch, croaker, etc)