PDA

View Full Version : NPH.. Water's still warm! Sun. oct 28th (no pics! sorry!)

smokehound
11-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Decided to toss the grubs around in the harbor, since i havent been there for a while.

Got there around 6 am.. Fishing wasn't great, despite my log suggesting otherwise, but so be it!

I get to my AO, and the first thing I see is a big 19+ inch corbina terrorizing the fiddler-crabs.. That thing was hungry!

First thought in my head was: "Nah that water's too clear, this grub is gonna spook it!"

So gently lob it to avoid spooking it, and give the grub a little pop as soon as it hits the bottom, and the corbina did a total head-stand, looking at it intensely.

SWEET! A corbina on the--- Awwwww crap! The damn thing grabbed the tail and clamped down, wouldnt let go (damn attractant!!), and decided it wanted ONLY the tail.

She wouldnt let go and wouldnt swallow the grub, even when I put slack in the line. She just swam around with it in her mouth. After ten minutes of walking the damn corbina like a dog, i decide to break the tail off and let her savor it. I'm going to go again, only this time, I'm going to bring some perch grubs in case I run into this fish again. It's a resident Bean of the area, easily recognizable by the large black blotch on the right gill cover.. if you see her try throwing a grub in front of her!

Fishing was difficult.. the extreme clarity and lack of overcast made my shadow really obvious, Sculpins and bay blennies were absent.

Since it was so damn slow, I decided to grab some mussels and play with the YFC..

But then even more annoyances plagued me. The croakers didnt want the Mussels! There was a big group of them, all in the shallows, and they just didnt want it!

Tried the grub, they didnt want that. It seems they really just wanted the fiddler crabs and worms this time. Didnt feel like digging for em, didnt want to get muddy this time..

I FINALLY hooked into a spottie later towards the low tide (-0.10 feet!) A dink for the area, but hell. At least it was the right kind, and legal-sized!

TONS of tiny halibut everywhere.. all in the 3-4 inch range..

I'm going to return again, damn corbina!

skunked4life
11-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Nice! I haven't caught a spottie since 4th of July, but then again, I haven't hit the harbor much either.