PDA

View Full Version : Need some help/advice for irvine

Jbfish
11-01-2012, 12:04 AM
planning on going to irvine about a week after the opener. ive never fished for trout off a boat, only shore fishing and creek fishing.. with the deeper waters whats the best setup to use, and how would i keep the line and bait from sinking directly under the boat. i was thinking using a bobber but im not a huge fan of bobbers, what are my other options and what would be the best bait for boat fishing. thanks in advance for the help! any advice or tips will help!!! will definitely make a post and have pictures if i catch anything. thanks

FISHING ALL DAY BABY
11-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Well fishing of a bout for trout is cool, just keep in mind pending on the time of the day is what tells you where about you should be fishing. About the bobber, yea im the same way but look around you and see what other boat fishermen are doing and how far into the lake they are posted aswell. Try jigging, now that there you have a bit of upper and lower action. Well good luck when you go out there and keep me posted to see how it turned out.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-01-2012, 04:54 AM
I typically use a Carolina rig. Slding sinker, bead, swivel then depending on water clarity, a 1-1.5 ft leader. You can cast it pretty far from your boat and you dont really have to worry about it coming back to you.

TimelessFSR
11-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Check out some of their vids...pretty helpful

http://www.irvinelake.net/general-information/videos

I did well at last year's opener with a firetiger rapala

BRING IT
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
From a boat, 18in leader #18 trebble hook. As for bait, ask the guys/girls in the tackle shop, cant go wrong with inflated half crawlers, dipped in BITE-ON Garlic or Roe. If you use power bait get the NEW Bite-On Fury to accent you bait.
Have fun / Fish Hard
BRING IT:Guns:

Jbfish
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I typically use a Carolina rig. Slding sinker, bead, swivel then depending on water clarity, a 1-1.5 ft leader. You can cast it pretty far from your boat and you dont really have to worry about it coming back to you.
i typically use caronlina rig from shore but what about water depth in the middle of the lake? im assuming the water is pretty deep, wont the sinker sink to the bottom? are there any fish down there?

casting call
11-02-2012, 11:23 PM
i typically use caronlina rig from shore but what about water depth in the middle of the lake? im assuming the water is pretty deep, wont the sinker sink to the bottom? are there any fish down there?

If you dont want to go to the bottom, you can drift with a sliding bobber and a split shot if youre using floating bait. Yes there are fish at the bottom, specially now that the water is still warm, youll find them deeper. Drop shots work well too.
Mid lake will be about 25' and the deepest part of the flats will be around 40'-45'. Maybe a bit shallower since the water level is low.
You can also try trolling with a CD5 Firetiger, but my favorite trolling lure is a rooster tail in black/white with a silver or gold spoon when i troll. Or like mentioned previously, you can try jigging mini tubes.
Regardless of what methods you use, have fun and good luck!

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-03-2012, 11:15 AM

I fish from a boat all the time. From the west shore is usually where we catch most of our fish. We usually don't find them too deep so we typically fisha bout 20-25ft of water. Powerbait/powermouse combo is what we do so the 1-1.5ft leader floats that far above the ground.