PDA

View Full Version : how many lbs should my anchor be?

luckyjr21
10-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Im fairly new to tubing .I mostly do trout fishing and my biggest struggle is staying in that honey hole once i find it, I have tried welding one together to save some cash but it just didnt do the job. I have a ODC 420 and weigh a healthy 245 ,any help or info is very appreciated.

Poxy Boggards
10-31-2012, 10:30 PM
my .02$

They make kayak anchors that work really well for float tubes they also colapse down to make them easy to store in one of your gear pockets.

One of the real advantages of float tubes is the ability to move around and slowly drift your bait, you will find out over time that it is an advantage to stay on the move rather then anchoring down. It also provides an excellent work out. You really want to drift over the right area, then turn around and do it again.

That said I do keep an anchor on the float tube if I am even remotely expecting a day with high winds. That is about the only time I ever use an anchor while tubing.

Dci4me
10-31-2012, 11:35 PM
That's what your fins are for! Get your back to the wind, and maintain your position with a kick every now and then. Storage on the tube is valuable, you don't want to waste it with an anchor. And hiking back to the truck with a 5 pound anchor is just added weight to a water logged tube and all your gear. And to agree with Poxy, the advantage of a tube is to cover more water and more structure.

Enjoy!

luckyjr21
11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the info its much appreciated.

Mr T-rex
11-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Now lets get out there and catch some fish..
Cant wait until we tube Irvine Lake i know they honey hole there and The wind actually works with you because you drift the bait which is a good thing

Thanks for all the info its much appreciated.

Pudd Legend
11-02-2012, 10:56 PM
There are times when you want to stay in one place. Especially when you have a school in front of you or a school that keeps breezing through the same alley way. I use a 2.2lb. shovel looking anchor from westmarine. Works great for me fly fishing crowley on the tube even in 15-20mph winds. Key is to position yourself with your back to the wind. Good luck.

vortec_cruiser
11-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I've got one similar to this for my tube.
http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-A-2-Complete-Grapnel/dp/B0000ATY5P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352092684&sr=8-1&keywords=float+tube+anchor

socal114
11-06-2012, 06:21 PM
IMO, an anchor is essential to have onboard. There are times when you want to hold your position and work a certain area, or in windy conditions, not have to kick continually. Forget the 2.5# Outcast anchor, it will not hold you and is pretty much worthless. I went to a 5# collapsible anchor found at BP. I use it on a Scotty anchor lock and have a caribiner tied to the end of the rope for easy on/off. I unhook it from my tube when carrying to make the tube lighter. It's collapsibility makes storage space a non-issue.
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Folding-Grappling-Anchors/product/39740/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=17kw3123325&SST=46c61189-cbfd-38c9-a3b2-00002067dd74