PDA

View Full Version : Epic Topwater Action at Silverwood on Stripers---> Video!

carpanglerdude
10-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Silverwood fishing trip report time!

Video Link: Striped Bass Fishing Silverwood Reservoir California HD! (http://youtu.be/quLThn4HpEc)

Just finished putting together a new video from recent trips to Silverwood. Last Sunday, a fellow FNN member and I went fishing for stripers at the 'Wood. Despite great conditions as the sun set, there was virtually no boils to be seen and nothing hitting our lures. It was a little frustrating and the occasional rude speedboat, racing very closely by while trying to hit flocks of birds did not help the mood. There was a LOT of anglers out on the banks, almost all doing the bait 'n wait thing, along with a few bass boats anchored further out. There was a little wind that came on later in the evening, but we had a protected cove that allowed us to keep fishing without too many problems.

The lack of boils was in stark contrast to a previous trip just a week earlier with similar conditions. The only difference was this time a full moon slowly rose across the lake, casting a welcome glow over the dark waters as the sun went down. Then, the bite turned on, for about 30 minutes. A school of smaller stripers came over to our point on the bank and began crashing on baitfish. We tossed topwaters at 'em, both a Hokkaido buzzjet and the ever-popular Sammy style lures, getting nailed on walk-the-dog retrieves. The fish weren't too large, but they were super aggressive, sometimes coming right out of the water to swipe at the passing lure. We hooked around 10+ in that brief period, and also watched another angler (bait 'n wait) bring in to large catfish, including one that was 7-8pounds. Key time was a little after the sun went down. We stuck around for another 45 minutes or so after the bite shut off but hardly saw any more boils and definitely didn't have any hits.

At the top of the page is the video from the night! There's a couple of shots of a few larger stripers in it; these were from a previous trip. It's a little hard to make out the boils and hits on top, but they are definitely there towards the latter portion of the video. Also a brief glimpse of a striper underwater, I'm trying out a new action camera with a fun waterproof frame. Definitely a fun night, I can't wait to go back!

GhettoBasster
10-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Awesome video. Thanks. Love seeing the fish boiling after the topwaters and the underwater shots are great. Hope the bite keeps up through the winter.

seal
11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Epic topwater?

carpanglerdude
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Epic topwater?

Ok, I'll bite.

Seal, 30 minutes of micros hitting topwaters probably isn't much to get excited about for you, since it's obvious you fish Silverwood regularly. You've been incredibly helpful as well and for that I thank you. However, as you know, I just started to fish this lake within the last month or so. I haven't experienced many situations where you can have schools of fish slapping at your Spook on multiple casts, let alone boils within casting distance of the shore and multiple hits on repeated casts over 30 minutes. Sure, I've seen a few impressive boils at DVL, but not reachable for a shore-bound angler like myself. It's definitely not something I've run into at Canyon Lake, Perris, Puddingstone, or any of the urban creeks and city park ponds I fish. Thus, from what I've run into, it certainly was "epic." My chest camera mount may not have picked up as well as I would like though :LOL:

Tree and I had multiple double hookups on the bass during this brief period. Definitely enjoyed it.

Airona124
11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
its always fun when there slapping that spook!!

sick

adiablo420
11-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Holy moly.... lol. That was an epic video.. Love seeing silverwood blow up like that. Fish it all the time. Good job on the video and the catches....

Jmac
11-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Anyone else fishing the striper derby at Silverwood on Saturday?

TroutOnly
11-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Where does the epic come in,,,,try san antonio with 15lbers schoolies white watering half of a football field ,,,,,,,,,,,,,dvl doesnt get close to castaics boils,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

seal
11-02-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm sorry I know it was fun and always is. Anytime I see "epic" or "wfo" used in a report title I'm thinking boy this better be good and micros blasting spooks is a regular occurence at about any of the striper infested reservoirs.

My friend from Henderson Nv. saw this post and had a good laugh, called me last night. I've seen boils that cover well over a hundred yards in diameter (probably way underestimating) at Mead and Silverwood, at Silverwood I've seen boils that covered basically all of Cleghorn and the fish were all in the 3-7lbs. range and nope wasn't that long ago. Funny thing is this year has not been a banner year for boils at Silverwood, not even close.

I don't mean to belittle your fun in anyway but I did have a little chuckle about the "epic" bite, I'm glad you had fun and hope one day you see and participate in a little bit more "epic" bite. Keep at it and you will be there on that magical day when everything comes together, has everything to do with just fishing your backside off as many days as you can during the right time of the year and also most importantly the right time of the day.

Good luck!

seal
11-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Anyone else fishing the striper derby at Silverwood on Saturday?

There is no striper derby at Silverwood on Saturday that I know of, are you referring to the bass fishing tournament?

carpanglerdude
11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry I know it was fun and always is. Anytime I see "epic" or "wfo" used in a report title I'm thinking boy this better be good and micros blasting spooks is a regular occurence at about any of the striper infested reservoirs.

My friend from Henderson Nv. saw this post and had a good laugh, called me last night. I've seen boils that cover well over a hundred yards in diameter (probably way underestimating) at Mead and Silverwood, at Silverwood I've seen boils that covered basically all of Cleghorn and the fish were all in the 3-7lbs. range and nope wasn't that long ago. Funny thing is this year has not been a banner year for boils at Silverwood, not even close.

I don't mean to belittle your fun in anyway but I did have a little chuckle about the "epic" bite, I'm glad you had fun and hope one day you see and participate in a little bit more "epic" bite. Keep at it and you will be there on that magical day when everything comes together, has everything to do with just fishing your backside off as many days as you can during the right time of the year and also most importantly the right time of the day.

Good luck!

Fair enough. I appreciate honest feedback for these videos. Hey, I have to look on the bright side-if this trip felt epic, I can't wait to see, "boils that cover well over a hundred yards in diameter!" It can only get better!

GhettoBasster
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Carp, I hope the derby doesn't affect our shore session tomorrow. Whatever happens, we will have an epic time LOL.

seal
11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Carp, I hope the derby doesn't affect our shore session tomorrow. Whatever happens, we will have an epic time LOL.

Good luck should be getting better, the moon slowed stuff down a bit recently but as of last night those "epic" boils were back, lot's of fun no matter the size.

Jmac
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
No sir, the Joshua Inn bar located on Arrowhead Lake rd. in Hesperia is doing one tomorrow. It is $30 for a 2 person team. Weigh in is at 3pm. Not too sure of the specifics, just know my brother signed me up and were going fishing.

carpanglerdude
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
No sir, the Joshua Inn bar located on Arrowhead Lake rd. in Hesperia is doing one tomorrow. It is $30 for a 2 person team. Weigh in is at 3pm. Not too sure of the specifics, just know my brother signed me up and were going fishing.

Woooh boy! Two tournaments on Saturday...this is going to be fun from the shore :) Hope it's not too much of a zoo out there, these overcast mornings have left me with high hopes for tomorrows fishing!

ghetto fisherman
11-02-2012, 04:48 PM
me and my son will be there at the tourney,,,,,

ghetto fisherman
11-02-2012, 04:58 PM
there is a ternament

Jmac
11-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Pretty damn excited myself, getting there early and leaving early!

Woooh boy! Two tournaments on Saturday...this is going to be fun from the shore :) Hope it's not too much of a zoo out there, these overcast mornings have left me with high hopes for tomorrows fishing!

seal
11-02-2012, 08:05 PM

Oh the bar is having it. Do they still have a shuffleboard game?

radray
11-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the video. As for EPIC, if it felt epic to you that is all that matters. I started fishing for stripers after I saw my first boil at Castaic and it was EPIC. Big Stripers hitting big swimbaits left and right. I could never forget that experience. Lately I have not seen boils like that and any decent boil is epic to me now. Keep fishing and keep sharing bro.

Raymond

seal
11-02-2012, 08:51 PM

There will be blue bird conditions, no overcast says Seal the weatherman.

Sublime-Steve
11-03-2012, 06:56 AM
**** was epic when 1 blow up @ DVL is like unheard of now a days compared to like 2 years ago.. 1 saw that nice sized fish how long was it?

seal
11-03-2012, 08:13 AM
**** was epic when 1 blow up @ DVL is like unheard of now a days compared to like 2 years ago.. 1 saw that nice sized fish how long was it?

It's a cycle they'll be back in full force at DVL I'm sure.

tree
11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Nice video! was great to go up and nail the striper!

Danny300
11-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I took a huge dump this morning.....that was sooooo EPIC!