PDA

View Full Version : Trout tips for 1st timer at the Vine

bass_newb
10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone, new here. I'm from originally from Long Beach, but now live in Sacramento, going to school out there. After learning how to trout fish from a buddy of mines in northern california, I've been hooked fishing for them. I will be back home this weekend and want to fish for trout at either Irvine or Corona, still unsure of which one to go too. My only trout fishing trip down south was last winter, and it was to SARL.. sadly I only landed one the whole day.

My biggest concern is the weather, I think its suppose to be pretty warm this weekend, up in the high 80's?!? Will it affect the trout fishing and my chances at landing a trout at either of these lakes? From my experience fishing the northern lakes, the bite for trout gets pretty slow and hard to catch, especially on warm days. Also, is there anyone at the Irvine bait shop/concession that I can talk to for advice, specifically for baits/areas to fish? Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bass_newb

Thisfool
10-31-2012, 02:10 PM
hi how is it going man. glad to have you on the boards

yes the heat will affect the fishing. just got to fish deeper basically.

just about any one of the Irvine staff will talk your ear off as far as tips go.

ive got nothing to do so if theres any specifics you want to know about ill answer to the best of my ability

fishfnatic
10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
If you aren't trolling a couple of my go to baits for last season:

Pink Shad power worm
Green/Chartreuse power worm
Chunky Chartreuse Garlic Gulp
Rainbow Garlic Gulp
Chunky Cheese Garlic Gulp
Garlic Naturals power bait
Pink/White mouse tail
White/Pink mouse tail

And a healthy dose of Bite On Garlic/Roe to everything listed above.

If you are using floating baits 2.5' - 3' leaders.

As for spots, I can't help you there. The lake has changed so drastically since last trout season the holes may have changed. I am sure the tackle shop will have all the info from the VIP day and Friday to help you out with spots.

Poxy Boggards
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
I think you would have good luck at either one of these lakes. The shore anglers were killing the fish at Corona last Saturday, even though the temps were in the upper 90's in the early afternoon, though the fishing did slow way down in the afternoon.

Fishing should be really good at Irvine lake with all of the fish they are stocking this week. I'd recomend walking to the West shore. In previous years I had great luck on the opener weekend fishing the west shore. Trout Island is another great spot for shore fishing and you can drive right up to that spot, but you have to get there really early, like by 10:00 PM the night before to get a shore spot on Trout Island.

Welcome to the boards!

bass_newb
10-31-2012, 09:02 PM
thanks to you all, I really appreciate the help. I will probably go to Irvine, since they are stocking 20k lbs. Hopefully I can get on some fish.

Marley
10-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Welcome! This weekend will be a total zoo at Irvine, opening weekend and all, so take that into consideration before going there. Something else to think about is wind, which is forecast to be 10-20 both Saturday and Sunday. Irvine blows out pretty quickly when the Santa Ana's run down the ridges, but sometimes never sees the wind, only the heat, of the offshore condition.
For bait, I would hang half a nightcrawler three or four feet under a small bobber if fishing from a boat. If shorelining it, walk down the west shore for what seems like half a mile. If it is half a mile, you're in the right spot. Fish the same half-crawler Carolina style, 16" leader, but blow it up so it floats. Fish the bait TIGHT to the shoreline, like 20 feet, until the sun has been on the water an hour or so, then move the bait to deeper water. You can fish two rods, so do that and play around with depths.
DEFINITELY ask one of the pro staff in the tackle shop for some tips, they will not steer you wrong.
Good luck!

VineVideos
11-01-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.irvinelake.net/general-information/videos

First, welcome to the forum. Check out the link above. It will take you to the Video page of our website. In the column on the right toward the top you will find six very good video tutorials from Captain's "Kewly" Zimara and Don Spencer. They are both local guides and experts at Irvine Lake. These videos are very helpful. More than 20,0000 hits on YouTube and great reviews.

Yes, the weather is going to be warm this weekend all over SoCal. No escaping it in either venue you mention. But with 20,000 pounds of trout stocked into Irvine this week, it should be excellent fishing. Lots of huge browns as well.

I will be at the lake today filming another big trout stock going in this afternoon as well as an up to date fish report from Assistant Manager, Jimmy Getty. He always does a fine job on keeping us all posted on the "How To and Where To" information. Look for this video on this forum by this evening.

Hope to see you soon and thanks for checking in !!

DannyJ