PDA

View Full Version : Perch success guaranteed!!! Must read!!!

City Dad
10-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey, what's up?

If you're like me, you love fishing the surf. So, check it out.

This is what Bigfoot told me.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/man_girl.jpg

The perch at the top is a female barred perch.

The perch at the bottom is a male barred perch.

You can see that the female has a gracefully curved anal fin.

You can see that the male has a notch or indentation in the middle of his anal fin.

One female may have only one baby daddy.

One male may have multiple baby mammas.

Now take out your scratch paper and do the following math problem:

Assume that a female barred perch bears an average of 33 young per season.
Assume that each male perch can impregnate two females per season.
In a season, fisherman Richard Cranium catches 80 female barred perch and 120 male barred perch at beach X. He takes them all home for pictures and even eats a couple of them.
In the same season, fisherman Guy Goode catches 80 female barred perch and 120 male barred perch at beach Y. He takes home 60 male barred perch and makes two-hundred gallons of fish soup.

How many more perch young can be expected at beach Y than at beach X the next season?

Assume that one quarter of perch young survive to four years. How many more ten-inch perch can be expected at beach Y than beach X?

Can you dig it?

I thought so! You're so smart!

murrieta angler
10-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Knowledge thru humor...:Big Grin:
Thanks Tim,
Robert
<><

skunked4life
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM
I think that I get the point, but even with my limited mathematical skills, I think that this math problem cannot provide an accurate prediction of the fish count in the future because the problem itself leaves out the total population of perch in beach x as it also does for beach y. In other words, in your scenario, if Dick Cranium takes all of the 200 fish he caught but that beach had 400 fish in total, beach x would still have alot of fish.

Still, if I had to take home a perchy for lunch or dinner, I will make sure that I release all of my perch and go eat at Guy Goode's home. That's alot of fish soup.

Wingnut
10-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Always listen to the Big, Hairy and Wise One... :LOL:
That's a nice Perch Tim, but not close enough for your steak dinner! :Envious:
Are you almost done building that trophy room for City Girl yet? :Wink:

carpinator
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
600 more of them

City Dad
10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
I think that I get the point, but even with my limited mathematical skills, I think that this math problem cannot provide an accurate prediction of the fish count in the future because the problem itself leaves out the total population of perch in beach x as it also does for beach y. In other words, in your scenario, if Dick Cranium takes all of the 200 fish he caught but that beach had 400 fish in total, beach x would still have alot of fish.

Still, if I had to take home a perchy for lunch or dinner, I will make sure that I release all of my perch and go eat at Guy Goode's home. That's alot of fish soup.

You make an excellent point!

Let's say that there are 400 fish total at beach X and let's also say that that there is a 10 to 15 female to male ratio at beach X. How how many more fish might Richard expect to be in his favorite spot if he kept only males?

carpinator
10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
266 of them

bones
10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
So if I read between the lines...I'd have to say that City Girl is having a hard time with algebra now and City Dad has found a unique way of teaching "Practical Application" that she can relate to.:ROFL:

Either that or you have seen what has been going on in Ventura and Oxnard lately. Predawn perch fest with all fish going into the underarm cooler. One guy every 50 ft or so spread out for at least a mile in some of my old haunts.These guys show up 30 minutes before greylight also and just about race to claim their spot on the sand.A few guys I talked to that are always there had the nerve to ask me why there are only small ones left.
My only comment was......They will ALL be gone pretty soon because of you guys and I kept walking.

That being said.....Awesome Piggie ya got there Tim. I have a feeling that we are in for a BIG GIRL season and you and Arthur will both score those 17 inchers!

DockRat
10-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Great post.
200 gallons of fish soup !:ROFL:
DR

dlmoo312
10-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Very useful info! Thanks!

-Daniel

smokehound
11-01-2012, 06:09 AM
I hate these fish with a burning freakin passion. Damn grub-rippers!