PDA

View Full Version : UL vs L power for fly+bubble?

CJO395
10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
I've used UL setups my whole life because I like the fight I get when I get a trout at the end of my line, but I've recently switched from bait fishing (worms) to flies. In addition to getting longer rods, I am also considering going for a rod with a stiffer backbone. I do seem to lose a lot of fish due to improper hooksets, and I can't help but wonder if a stiffer rod might do a better job. For fly+bubble fishing, I have a half second to set the hook or else the fish is gone. I need a sensitive rod with a fast action. Would a light or medium light rod be better than ultralight for this particular type of fishing?

bchbum54
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
I've used UL setups my whole life because I like the fight I get when I get a trout at the end of my line, but I've recently switched from bait fishing (worms) to flies. In addition to getting longer rods, I am also considering going for a rod with a stiffer backbone. I do seem to lose a lot of fish due to improper hooksets, and I can't help but wonder if a stiffer rod might do a better job. For fly+bubble fishing, I have a half second to set the hook or else the fish is gone. I need a sensitive rod with a fast action. Would a light or medium light rod be better than ultralight for this particular type of fishing?

Go with the Light setup, the Ultra Light rods tend to be a little too noodle for bobber + fly setups. Remember that the bobber/float will add resistance to your line when setting the hook so you need a slightly more stout rod. Medium light is a bitt too stiff IMO I use my Medium Light rod for dropshoting bass.

Thisfool
10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Go with the Light setup, the Ultra Light rods tend to be a little too noodle for bobber + fly setups. Remember that the bobber/float will add resistance to your line when setting the hook so you need a slightly more stout rod. Medium light is a bitt too stiff IMO I use my Medium Light rod for dropshoting bass.

agree.

and with the extra wight of the float you will not need a UL to get a good cast.

as for lost fish due to bad hook set that's why i use 4lb line and set the hook at least twice lol

vortec_cruiser
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
What are you fishing for?

CJO395
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
What are you fishing for?

Trout.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Viejo
11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Why not just make the switch and fly fish? I just spent a few days in the Eastern Sierra and had fun catching fish on a 3 weight fly rod and got plenty of action. I use barbless hooks and simply raise the rod into the air to catch the trout...no need for "Bass" style multiple pumps. I wonder if the problem you've just been having is that you are pulling the fly right out of the fishes mouths with aggressive hook sets.

CJO395
11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Why not just make the switch and fly fish? I just spent a few days in the Eastern Sierra and had fun catching fish on a 3 weight fly rod and got plenty of action. I use barbless hooks and simply raise the rod into the air to catch the trout...no need for "Bass" style multiple pumps. I wonder if the problem you've just been having is that you are pulling the fly right out of the fishes mouths with aggressive hook sets.

I spent the greater part of last year trying to fly fish, but there are a few things about it that I consider to be dealbreakers:

1) I can't feel the fish bite. I think this is the biggest reason why I don't see myself becoming a fly fishermen. I don't like relying on sight or strike indicators. To me, the best feeling is to feel the taps at the end of the line.

2) Too much room/space required. I don't want to have to wear waders on my hikes just so I can fly fish a backcountry lake. Many of the lakes I fish have trees along the shoreline and I don't have much room to do a proper back cast. Roll casting works, but I just can't get that much distance out of it.

3) Too difficult and time consuming to master. I understand that fly fishing is an art, but I don't want to have to drop hundreds of dollars on classes, or hire a guide. I've been a bait fisherman my entire life and I'm just recently switching over to lures. I don't have a lot of luck with spinners and spoons, but fly+bubble seems to work extremely well for me, so I'd like to stick with that.

billy b
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Jus curious ... which flies are you using ... and what size?

CJO395
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Jus curious ... which flies are you using ... and what size?

I use pretty common ones... adams, PMDs, black ants, black gnats, Royal Coachmen, etc. The Adams flies alone seem to work pretty much everywhere. Almost all are size 18, but a few are size 16. For nymphs, I usually go with hares ears and prince nymphs, most with beadheads. For these, size 14-16 tend to work well. I have streamers, but I never have much luck with them. Wooly Buggers in olive and brown.