PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Luna Out for a Spin

dlmoo312
10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
10/30/12

Decided on a solo mission today to test out my new Luna 253 that I won at HGIV :Envious:
I decided on a location up north that I've only fished once before since Thien had landed a near legal there in the past. I arrived at the spot at 6am and started fishing right away. It was dark and I could not see where my lc was landing, but the casts felt smooth and I wasn't getting any birds nest. As the sun started to come up and I was able to see, I adjusted the brakes and was happy with the distance of my casts. I was thinking to myself, "This reel is awesome... if only I could catch some fish now.."

I worked my way down the beach and I got my first hit. It was a solid, heavy hit and I worked the mystery fish in carefully. Ended up being a pig perch :Confused: I was surprised because it fought pretty hard. I quickly released it and continued fishing. I ended up catching 9 perch all in the 12"-13" range and they were all aggressive, hard fighters! It was a good warmup session for the reel I guess :LOL: I also hooked into a huge SNGF that just would not tire out! I was so close to finally landing it but the lc popped off right in front of me. I guess i'll have to check that species off my list another time :Smile:

Decided to make a move to the spot I caught my corbina this weekend. Made a few stops along the way to check out a few potential fishing spots. The water level was high at this point but the locations still felt fishy enough to try out sometime in the future.

Got to the location and walked over to an area with lots of structure and submerged rocks. I get a hit on my first try but it's a miss so I casted out again to the same spot and steadily retrieved my lc. I get hit again but this time it sticks. I can tell by the way its fighting that its not a perch. Yes! The fish would take a couple of drag peeling runs then stop and repeat. Sounds like a halibut to me :Big Grin: And it was! Unfortunately it was a short but at least I got my target species today! I snapped a few pics and released it. Then on my next cast I get hit again! This one's got much more fight in it but ends up being another short of the same size. I knew it wasn't the same fish because it was facing the opposite direction :LOL: I was thinking there has to be more halibut out there so I continued working the area, but there was just a little too much eel grass to work the lc properly. Too bad I didn't bring my dropshot gear! :mad: After about another hour I decided to call it a day.

Wasn't able to land a legal but I'm not complaining. My Luna's got a taste of halibut now and i'm sure it'll get me some legals soon :Big Grin:

Here are a few pictures, enjoy!

These perch were hungry!
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/Fishing/0A81E844-2B9E-40FA-83C6-0F24EB1B0993-44604-00001B5288A6386D.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/Fishing/B8EA389F-EF99-49EB-B4B2-E483381A46D4-44604-00001B5279DAF668.jpg
first short
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/Fishing/8889920A-06B0-4B89-995F-3C8C70825DD0-44604-00001B524C35C282.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/Fishing/7401D11C-AF59-4ED6-81D5-2E3E43D743A4-44604-00001B523F7CF7A6.jpg
and its opposite-facing twin
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/Fishing/FF9E442A-2126-450B-AD56-DB2FB4D09905-44604-00001B5234A6CB6C.jpg

Thanks for reading!

-Daniel

SP Dan
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi ya dlmoo312,

First of all....Congratulations on winning the Luna 253 reel at the HG-4....it's a very nice reel! :Thumbs Up:
Secondly.....Congratulations on successfully beaching 2 out of the three species that you had hooked!
10 fat perch and two healthy pancakes........a very nice day indeed Daniel! :Big Smile::Applause:

I really enjoyed the read with pics! Keep up the good work soldier! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

peanutbutter
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
niiiiice breaking in the new gear with almost 3 species :Big Grin:

DockRat
10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Reserved till 8 pm.

Those are some piggy BSP, good job.
DR

murrieta angler
10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Another nice outing Daniel.
Keep it up Bro, they will only get bigger..:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

Newfishsmell
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Those are some fat Perch !!
Nice job breaking in the new reel.

Which Way Out
10-31-2012, 06:45 AM
You knocked the New Reel smell off of it that's for sure.

Keep it up and you will have a nice legal to show us soon I bet.

WWO

bachiboy
10-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Way to break in the new gear Daniel! Nice load of fish for a "trial" run. Legal around the corner with that I'm sure!:Wink:

Don

Wingnut
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Nice test drive... now get in the race! :Twisted:
That Luna is my weapon of choice in the surf. :Wink:
Thanks for the text. :Cool:

midgettosser1
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Just some friendly words of advice (in case you didn't know already)...
The Lunas dont have a backup pawl for the antireverse bearing, like shimano's and whatnot.
So if you get hung up on a rock or seaweed, make sure you keep your thumb on the spool when you are pulling (rather than only buttoning down the drag)... otherwise the antireverse bearing may blow out.
That will set you back fishing time til a new one gets delivered, and 20-30 bucks with shipping.

skunked4life
10-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Awesome set-up and another great day of fishing! You are on a roll bro! Is that the older model Clarus? How long is it?

frankjz
10-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Hey Arthur,

I know you guys love the Luna 253, and I'm thinking of moving to a baitcasting setup up. Do you have an opinion on the Calcutta TE from Shimano?

frankjz
10-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Good to know. Do you like the Shimano baitcasters better?

dlmoo312
10-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi ya dlmoo312,

First of all....Congratulations on winning the Luna 253 reel at the HG-4....it's a very nice reel! :Thumbs Up:
Secondly.....Congratulations on successfully beaching 2 out of the three species that you had hooked!
10 fat perch and two healthy pancakes........a very nice day indeed Daniel! :Big Smile::Applause:

I really enjoyed the read with pics! Keep up the good work soldier! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks, SP Dan! I agree that the reel is very nice. It's the best reel i've ever owned :Big Grin:

niiiiice breaking in the new gear with almost 3 species :Big Grin:

Felt great to land some fish on it :Big Grin:

Reserved till 8 pm.

Those are some piggy BSP, good job.
DR

Thanks!

Another nice outing Daniel.
Keep it up Bro, they will only get bigger..:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

I hope so! I don't mind catching a few pancakes but a legal would really be nice!

Those are some fat Perch !!
Nice job breaking in the new reel.

Thanks! The bigger ones put up a fun fight!

You knocked the New Reel smell off of it that's for sure.

Keep it up and you will have a nice legal to show us soon I bet.

WWO

Thank you! My goal's to land at least a couple more legals before the end of the year!

Way to break in the new gear Daniel! Nice load of fish for a "trial" run. Legal around the corner with that I'm sure!:Wink:

Don

I hope you're right! Maybe a 30incher??:Wink:

Nice test drive... now get in the race! :Twisted:
That Luna is my weapon of choice in the surf. :Wink:
Thanks for the text. :Cool:

I can see why it is! I just need to get used to the round reels! That text was long overdue:LOL:

Just some friendly words of advice (in case you didn't know already)...
The Lunas dont have a backup pawl for the antireverse bearing, like shimano's and whatnot.
So if you get hung up on a rock or seaweed, make sure you keep your thumb on the spool when you are pulling (rather than only buttoning down the drag)... otherwise the antireverse bearing may blow out.
That will set you back fishing time til a new one gets delivered, and 20-30 bucks with shipping.

Thank you! I wouldn't want anything to happen that I could've prevented. I really appreciate the info!

Awesome set-up and another great day of fishing! You are on a roll bro! Is that the older model Clarus? How long is it?

Thanks! It's an 8' clarus salmon/steelhead rod.

simijab
10-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Definitly a nice reel. My budy steve takes part credit for that lol. He was the guy who gave you some of his gulp worms when you ran out. Then we proceeded tofish between you and your buddy. While you guys were catching fish on either side of us we caught nothing. Hahaha