PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Beach 10/28 - my first legal!

jplee3
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, and since I've gone out to the surf with any success for that matter :)

Well, yesterday was the day apparently. My wife and I were in SD for a short getaway. Luckily, Monster Bash ended almost exactly at 12am on Sunday, so we were able to get some sleep (from 6pm-12am there was non-stop noise, and it didn't help that our hotel was less than a block away from it all :().

After a late Sunday brunch we hit up Coronado Beach around noon, and got lucky when an old man standing out on the Avenida del Sol sidewalk saw us looking for a spot and waved us down right as another car was leaving. This was my first time to Coronado - pretty cool city! And niiiice beach! Thought I'd give a shot on south side of the jetty so my wife settled down and I geared up and headed down to the water - pretty low tide (got there on the outgoing). Conditions were real nice - very little salad in the water, and good sets of waves breaking further out with a good amount of white water.

I started off with a c-rigged gulp camo sandworm on the new Sedona and 'lucky' rod and worked within 100 yards of the jetty. I'm feeling good; after all, it's always good to get a line wet, right? After about the 8th cast or so, I reel in at a slow-medium rate a few cranks (man the new reels casts and retrieves so nicely), and all of the sudden the rod tip goes BENDO!! I immediately set the hook (not too hard - I've got one of those smallish gold circle-like hooks that I picked up when I was in Hawaii a couple years ago) and start fighting it. At first I was thinking "Great, it's probably a huge BSP..." not that that's a BAD thing :D. But then it starts shaking it's head and randomly stopping and holding weight during the fight. I'm thinking "Oh man, if this is what I think it is, I hope my line doesn't snap right now!"

Luckily, my gear didn't fail me and I eventually beached it. It made a few good runs as soon as I got it to shallow water, so it's a good thing I buttoned down the drag, and it's also a good thing I was using a decent lb test. The thing completely inhaled the gulp camo sandworm (the 6" model too) and I was lucky my hook didn't break off either - I tried removing it with some forceps and it SNAPPED. So if anyone catches a hali at Coronado with what appears to be a gold tooth, that's my lucky fish! It tapped out probably at 8-10lbs and 27" (had my measuring tape but the weight is an estimate). At that point I was super-stoked: MY FIRST LEGAL!! The only other substantial hali I caught was on a LC at CDM back in 2006 @ 19" LOL aaaaaaages ago.

Had it beached for a good time while waiting for my wife to finally figure out that I caught something before making her way over to take some pics. After all the commotion, I took it back to revive and release. At first I was scared it wouldn't come back; it took a good number of pushes to revive it but eventually his tail got to working again and he sped off not too long after.

Sorry, there's more pics but I figure this is probably the best one:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/379107_10151192555008654_577483358_n.jpg

We stayed for a couple more hours until my wife couldn't take it anymore. Tried my LC and a swimbait but no such luck - I think all the fish went somewhere else on the outgoing. Also saw quite a few people clamming and getting some NICE pismos! I got lucky myself and found one using the 'foot & heel' method - I just happened to be standing right over it while fishing hahaha. Also found another that was cracked open (probably by the seagulls) with the meat still in it. Ripped some off for bait to catch a few small BSPS because my sandworms kept getting stolen. All in all, a fun day to be out. I like Coronado :)

Afterwards, we stopped by Phils BBQ and headed out to the Sunset Cliffs on our way back home :D

bachiboy
10-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Wow, what a great surprise! :EyePop: Catching a flattie on crack isn't completely unusual but not what you really expect when you throw it. Great job getting it in and the successful release. :Thumbs Up: Thanks for the report and pict. Sounds like you had a great trip. Hope we get to hear about more from you soon.

Don

jplee3
10-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Wow, what a great surprise! :EyePop: Catching a flattie on crack isn't completely unusual but not what you really expect when you throw it. Great job getting it in and the successful release. :Thumbs Up: Thanks for the report and pict. Sounds like you had a great trip. Hope we get to hear about more from you soon.

Don

Yea, I seem to recall that it's a bit uncommon to catch them on gulp sandworms. I was totally expecting to catch surf perch but was pleasantly surprised. I had my 4lb test outfit with me as well but decided to fish the 8lb outfit mostly to break in the new reel. It's a good thing too! I'm pretty sure I would have gotten busted off on the 4lb outfit :D

dlmoo312
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Yea, I seem to recall that it's a bit uncommon to catch them on gulp sandworms. I was totally expecting to catch surf perch but was pleasantly surprised.

You must have been overjoyed when you saw how big it was! :LOL:

Awesome job on landing your first legal!
Reading your report makes me miss living in San Diego so much!
I think Coronado Island is definitely one of the nicest spots in SD. I used to go to the dog beach over there sometimes, and now I'm regretting never really fishing that area. I'll definitely be checking it out next time I visit!
Again, congratulations!

-Daniel

Wingnut
10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
That's awesome... and on the Crack too. :Envious:
Kudos on the release, may Poseidon bless you with a bigger one! :Thumbs Up:

murrieta angler
10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
That is a very nice and clean beach down there.
I am envious though, in my past adventures there in the past, I only have caught perch down there.
Good job and thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

bloox8
10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
A legal on crack:EyePop:????

Congratulations!!
These so called "crack" are pretty damn mysterious. First some one pulls up a striper, now a 27" legal!
I think GULP figured something out :LOL:

Thanks for the report!

Thien