PDA

View Full Version : SWAT Pancake Harvest

SP Dan
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Quick report with out pics.

Sunday 10-28-2012....South Bay Area, assaulted the spot from 1230 - 1545 hrs.
AO: ""Ol' Fathful"
Air temp: 71 degrees Fahrenheit, clear skies, windy at first but slowed down towards the end.
Water temp: 69 degrees Fahrenheit. Clear, no salad, a hand full of sea birds swimming and diving.
Sun rise: 0709. Sun set: 1804 hrs.
Moon: Waxing Gibbous.
Surf: 1- 2 ft, Swell: 0.7 ft, Sets: 14 secs.
Tide: OGT @ 1200 hrs 3.0 ft, LT @ 1530 hrs -0.3 ft, ICT @ 1800 hrs 1.5 ft, HT 1142 hrs 4.4'.
Terrain: flat, wide sandy beach, no structure and only an outside trench.
Assault tactics: St. Croix 9'-6", 8-17 lb, Shamano Stradic 3000 CI4 reel with 15# flouro-carbon line and a drop shot set up.
iSolunar: :BFish::BFish::BFish::BFish:

Feet wet at 1230 hrs and out by 1545 hrs.

Fish count:
(11) pancakes, largest measured 18 1/2", (1) short Sand Bass, (2) Lizard fish.

I did have the same hit happen again today; as the 31"er, but I was too anxious and pulled the bait right out of it's mouth! :EyePop: It happens!
I thought the hook was set by the heavy pull down! Oh well!
Mr. Bones had warned me to stay calm and count to five......I believe that I only made it to the count of three! :Embarrassed: :LOL: ha ha ha!

SP Dan <"))><

dlmoo312
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Sounds like you had a great day on the sand!
Always fun when you are catching fish!
Seems like you are dialing in that dropshot technique:Big Grin:

I did have the same hit happen again today; as the 31"er, but I was too anxious and pulled the bait right out of it's mouth! :EyePop: It happens!
I thought the hook was set by the heavy pull down! Oh well!
Mr. Bones had warned me to stay calm and count to five......I believe that I only made it to the count of three! :Embarrassed: :LOL: ha ha ha!

I've done this on many occasions.. I'm still new to the dropshot and I always get super excited whenever any fish hits :LOL:
I will definitely keep this in mind and stay focused next time i'm out!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Wingnut
10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Nice job Dan... I hope you don't run out of syrup with all those pancakes. :LOL:
Keep up the nice work soldier! :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I bet you made Aunt Jemima envious...:Envious:
I think I will be hitting up your neck of the woods tomorrow...:Wink:
I'll give you a call if i do.
Robert
<><

bachiboy
10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Way to go Dan! :Applause: Gotta love an action packed day like that. No legals but at least your pulling on flatties. More legals to come I'm sure.:Wink:

Congrats!
Don

Which Way Out
10-29-2012, 08:23 PM
FlapJacks HUMMMMMMMMMMMM

High numbers there Dan.

Keep it up and you might just take that PB number up another notch and give Bones a run for the lead.
Good luck with that!

WWO

SP Dan
10-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Sounds like you had a great day on the sand!
Always fun when you are catching fish!
Seems like you are dialing in that dropshot technique:Big Grin:
I've done this on many occasions.. I'm still new to the dropshot and I always get super excited whenever any fish hits :LOL:
I will definitely keep this in mind and stay focused next time i'm out!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Hi ya Daniel,
I had a fun time!
Thanx for reading my pancake report!

Nice job Dan... I hope you don't run out of syrup with all those pancakes. :LOL:
Keep up the nice work soldier! :Big Grin:

Hola Arturo.......cha cha cha!

I just like to slather them with a little butter and then send them on their way to fatten up for another day!
I'm having a lot of fun mixing it up a bit......it keeps it interesting to say the least!

I bet you made Aunt Jemima envious...:Envious:
I think I will be hitting up your neck of the woods tomorrow...:Wink:
I'll give you a call if i do.
Robert
<><

Hi ya Roberto
I don't mind as long as their is some lip on the end of my.............................hook!

Way to go Dan! :Applause: Gotta love an action packed day like that. No legals but at least your pulling on flatties. More legals to come I'm sure.:Wink:

Congrats!
Don

Hi ya Don
Oh definitely more on the way.
I'm having a blast catching what ever.....beats a lot of days trying to beat the skunk...kind of days!

FlapJacks HUMMMMMMMMMMMM

Hi numbers there Dan.

Keep it up and you might just take that PB number up another notch and give Bones a run for the lead.
Good luck with that!

WWO

Hi ya Bill
I figure that I have to cull through a lot of pancakes to finally get to that 42"er with my name on it!
And the only way that's going to happen is by me keeping my line as wet as possible and to beach every fish that hits my bait! I say....let them eat bait!
I also say.....Watch out Mr. Bones.....SP Dan doesn't have 40 years left in him to wait for that elusive 40"+ Hali!
This guy is in a hurry! Ha ha ha!

sidified
10-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Great thing about catching that 31 incher.. the memory will keep you going for years..
Cheers,
Sid

SP Dan
11-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Great thing about catching that 31 incher.. the memory will keep you going for years..
Cheers,
Sid

Hi ya Sid

Definitely words of truth my friend!
I hope that all is well with your lovely family and that you are finding the time to make your way down to the salt.

Nipple Twister
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I hope you don't run out of syrup with all those pancakes. :LOL:
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Very impressive Dano.......you have more then earned it.........way to slay my friend.......

smokehound
11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Have you tried dropshotting with a worm hook?

Works for me

SP Dan
11-05-2012, 12:52 AM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Very impressive Dano.......you have more then earned it.........way to slay my friend.......

Hi ya John,

It sure beats the heck out of being skunked......which still happens quite often to me! Ha ha ha!
But it just so happened that I was there and the fish were there...and it all just came together!
It really turned out to be a fun day doing the drop shot method....indeed!

SP Dan <"))><

Have you tried dropshotting with a worm hook?

Works for me

Hi ya smokehound,

Yes....I use bait hooks with the barbed shank....it really helps to hold the soft rubber bait in place on the hook!
It works for me also!

Thanx for taking the time to read and respond to my report!

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
11-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Hey Dan are you using this hook type ?

They work great and hold a Gulp bait out perfect.
WWO

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/SIALISLUTARIA/UDICA.jpg

SP Dan
11-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I like it Bill! :) Who makes this hook?

iLLest
11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Nice stack of pancakes you got there brotha, sweet catchin.
In regards to the hook Bill posted, thats called a "standout drop shot hook"
He is right on the money when he says it holds the Gulp in its place, it forces the bait to stay nice and straight.
Give it a shot, I too have had success with these.

Which Way Out
11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I like it Bill! :) Who makes this hook?

Dan I know I have a package of these hooks somewhere laying around and if I find them I will send you the info.. You can get them at Bass Pro Shops either on line or in the store.
The way things are at my Casa right now and getting ready to move into our new house, no telling what I will find.:Cool:
I think with Franks info you will find them I am sure.

Good luck
WWO

ps If you catch one bigger than the one Bone's caught on one of these drop shot hooks, I want a Bromigo High Five.....:High Five:

SP Dan
11-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Hey Dan are you using this hook type ?

They work great and hold a Gulp bait out perfect.
WWO

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/SIALISLUTARIA/UDICA.jpg

Hey Bill,
They are by Daiichi.......I just purchased a pack of #2 and #4......Can't wait to give them a try! Thank you! :)

SP Dan
11-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Nice stack of pancakes you got there brotha, sweet catchin.
In regards to the hook Bill posted, thats called a "standout drop shot hook"
He is right on the money when he says it holds the Gulp in its place, it forces the bait to stay nice and straight.
Give it a shot, I too have had success with these.

Hi ya Frank
I wish they had a barbed shank (like a bait hook) to better hold a minnow. I'll be giving them a try real soon! :)

SP Dan
11-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Dan I know I have a package of these hooks somewhere laying around and if I find them I will send you the info.. You can get them at Bass Pro Shops either on line or in the store.
The way things are at my Casa right now and getting ready to move into our new house, no telling what I will find.:Cool:
I think with Franks info you will find them I am sure.

Good luck
WWO

ps If you catch one bigger than the one Bone's caught on one of these drop shot hooks, I want a Bromigo High Five.....:High Five:

You got it my Bromigo :High Five: