PDA

View Full Version : I did it!!!!! (pics to be added monday)

skunked4life
10-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Went out to NPB yesterday with my mom, dad, brother, wife and son. My parents and brother were in town to celebrate my birthday. They all had a blast catching perch, butt i was itching for more. After friday's first surf halibut, i became ill with halitosis. No luck in finding the cure though.

Here's my mom fishing. She caught 15 perch in 30 minutes and called it a day.

Today, sunday october 28, at grey light, i went out armed with my chronarch wound with 15 pound white izor braid and my lucky LC mounted on my early bday present from my dad. He got me a 7 foot clarus crankbait casting rod. Love my dad!

First catch was this small perch.

Next 20 or so casts yielded nothing. Now here is some useful intel for you guys, the beans were everywhere! I am too focused on my new surf target species to care. I need big butt! So i continue up the beach and then something hits hard! Took about half of my line butt i managed to nearly beach it when the unthinkable happens....my flouro leader breaks off. F this! I am tying directly onto braid! I only had one spare LC, the ghost smelt. I quickly tie on and make it up the coast. I tried talking to a couple of guys butt they were too busy fishing. No prob. Made it up further to an area that looked promising. Again, using SP DAN's teachings, i see where the waves split and water discolors... So i cast out beyond that area. I set the bearings on the LC and begin my slow and steady. Two to three turns later....ZZZZZZZZZZZ.....someone once told me not to set the hook too hard on halbuts, butt how do i know its a butt? I set the hooks and begin my mad retrieve. Its big! I let the surf help me out while making sure my line stays taut. I finally beach it....wait, wait for it.....wait.... Patience.....

This pose is in honor of Wingnut. Arthur, how do you avoid scratches or bite marks on your rod????

ITS A LEGAL BUTT! I taped it out to a little over 23 inches! No release today. Sorry folks, this sunday morning, the good Lord has blessed me with dinner. My first legal from the surf! Wingnut, Dan, bachi, everyone who encouraged me on my friday post was right! IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for everything FNN! I have truly met some good lifelong friends!

SP Dan
10-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi ya skunked4life,

"Congratulations" on beaching that beautiful 25" Hali Ken!
Like every one said.....it's always just a matter of time and determination....then good things will happen for the deserving!
"Happy Birthday" and enjoy your gift from Poseidon my friend!

Stay wet and thanx for the report! :Cool:
I'm looking forward to you pics!

SP Dan <"))><

fishead
10-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Thats kool I love Bigg butts

bachiboy
10-28-2012, 11:50 AM
RIght ON!!!!!!:Thumbs Up: Way to go man! Glad to hear it. I think it would take three flatties of the size I caught today to make 23"...PB smallest halibut for me. :LOL: Word has it there have been a few scores today! Great to hear. Keep it up and I'm sure that PB marker is just gonna keep rising. Enjoy the dinner...you've earned it.:Wink:

Congratualations!!!!!
Don

LuckyCraft420
10-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Great job Ken. I wish I could have been there this morning but I think you were wakin up when I was just getting home. The picture this morning woke me up. I was half asleep, 1 eye half way open and zoomed in on the tape measure to see over 22". I smiled I knocked back out, haha. I'll see you out there this week for sure. I bought 4 new LCs yesterday, so I'm ready for a few LC only days. Enjoy the legal!!!

bbqsushi
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Saweeeet!!! Nice job! Still waiting for my 1st legal butt from the surf, and I'm encouraged by your "get". Or, got, i suppose. Hope you enjoy your dinner!!!

dlmoo312
10-28-2012, 09:38 PM
What a great birthday weekend! Spending time with family AND landing your first legal from the surf! Congratulations!
You've confirmed that there are indeed some legals lurking out there in NPH :Big Grin:
And about those beans, I also noticed them today up north. I've never seen so many cruising the shallows before.
Great job out there! Will be looking forward to future reports and more butts :Thumbs Up:

-Daniel

bassfishing24/7
10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Congrats on getting a nice big butt for ur bday!

Newfishsmell
10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
What a great birthday gift !!
Congratulations ... :Smile:

skunked4life
10-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi ya skunked4life,

"Congratulations" on beaching that beautiful 25" Hali Ken!
Like every one said.....it's always just a matter of time and determination....then good things will happen for the deserving!
"Happy Birthday" and enjoy your gift from Poseidon my friend!

Stay wet and thanx for the report! :Cool:
I'm looking forward to you pics!

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan!

Thats kool I love Bigg butts

Me too!

RIght ON!!!!!!:Thumbs Up: Way to go man! Glad to hear it. I think it would take three flatties of the size I caught today to make 23"...PB smallest halibut for me. :LOL: Word has it there have been a few scores today! Great to hear. Keep it up and I'm sure that PB marker is just gonna keep rising. Enjoy the dinner...you've earned it.:Wink:

Congratualations!!!!!
Don

Thanks Don. Looking to beat my pb already!

Great job Ken. I wish I could have been there this morning but I think you were wakin up when I was just getting home. The picture this morning woke me up. I was half asleep, 1 eye half way open and zoomed in on the tape measure to see over 22". I smiled I knocked back out, haha. I'll see you out there this week for sure. I bought 4 new LCs yesterday, so I'm ready for a few LC only days. Enjoy the legal!!!

What's more important than fishing? Screw sleep next time come out and play!

Saweeeet!!! Nice job! Still waiting for my 1st legal butt from the surf, and I'm encouraged by your "get". Or, got, i suppose. Hope you enjoy your dinner!!!

I know the feeling. Been waiting a long time for this. It doesnt help that i refuse to fish anywhere but NPB.

What a great birthday weekend! Spending time with family AND landing your first legal from the surf! Congratulations!
You've confirmed that there are indeed some legals lurking out there in NPH :Big Grin:
And about those beans, I also noticed them today up north. I've never seen so many cruising the shallows before.
Great job out there! Will be looking forward to future reports and more butts :Thumbs Up:

-Daniel

I see that you too had quite a day from your last report!

Congrats on getting a nice big butt for ur bday!

I see that youve been out on the surf more often bf24/7. We must get together!

What a great birthday gift !!
Congratulations ... :Smile:

Thanks! Its been the best bday weekend!

murrieta angler
10-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Congrats Ken,
It was just a matter of time and your persistance paid off.
Now that you got your first one, get back out there and get another...:Big Grin:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Wingnut
10-29-2012, 06:32 PM
You did it! That's awesome... Poseidon gave you the perfect birthday gift. :Big Grin:
Now go out and get a bigger one! :Wink:

bloox8
10-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Hey Ken

Congrats on your first legal butt from the surf! I am glad you got to put your new Chronarch to work.
Keep up the positive attitude and I am sure you'll land many more legals!

Thien

P.S. Did you manage to get your wife to fish :LOL:??? I hope so

blackwater
10-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Very nice birthday present indeed, congrats on your first of many legals. :Cool:

skunked4life
10-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Hey Ken

Congrats on your first legal butt from the surf! I am glad you got to put your new Chronarch to work.
Keep up the positive attitude and I am sure you'll land many more legals!

Thien

P.S. Did you manage to get your wife to fish :LOL:??? I hope so

Not yet. She is 5 months pregnant so she just watches for now. She still gets excited when i catch em though!

Very nice birthday present indeed, congrats on your first of many legals. :Cool:

Thanks! I hope those 2 i caught aren't the only ones in newport beach!:EyePop:

smokehound
11-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Nice going man. Happy belated B-day!

flyngby
11-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Congrats on the first legal of many! Now you got the felling and knowledge to get the next PB!

Steve

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/fireman1.gif