PDA

View Full Version : Lake Perris Water Quality?

Ultralight
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I drive to within 12 minutes of Perris a few times each week.

Curious as to the water quality at Perris in terms of pollution and toxins (i.e. heavy metal etc.) Doing research on every lake I'm interested in. For example, Silverwood is supposed to be one of the more toxic lakes while Gregory is one of the cleaner ones even though both are in close proximity.

Curios about Perris. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
UL

seal
10-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Ultralight unless you eat striper everyday of your life I wouldn't be overly concerned about toxins. Since I believe you are primarily a trout fisherman you could eat trout 3x's a day from Silverwood and wouldn't have to worry about them.

carpanglerdude
10-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Ultralight unless you eat striper everyday of your life I wouldn't be overly concerned about toxins. Since I believe you are primarily a trout fisherman you could eat trout 3x's a day from Silverwood and wouldn't have to worry about them.

Trout, maybe, but Silverwood didn't do so well in the most recent study on heavy metals and PCBs in bass:

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/swamp/docs/lakes_study/lakes_report_y1.pdf/

Ultralight, the above link should also be helpful for you as well. It covers many of the major lakes in the IE, including Lake Perris I believe, with very thorough data on variety of toxin levels in fish. It doesn't cover many different species (for instance I think they only looked at Largemouth for Silverwood), but the concept of bioaccumulation should still apply.

GhettoBasster
10-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Trout, maybe, but Silverwood didn't do so well in the most recent study on heavy metals and PCBs in bass:

http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/swamp/docs/lakes_study/lakes_report_y1.pdf/

Ultralight, the above link should also be helpful for you as well. It covers many of the major lakes in the IE, including Lake Perris I believe, with very thorough data on variety of toxin levels in fish. It doesn't cover many different species (for instance I think they only looked at Largemouth for Silverwood), but the concept of bioaccumulation should still apply.

If I read the Water Board report correctly, the quality of water for drinking for Silverwood and Perris is fine as far as toxin levels. This is good since they serve as our drinking water reservoirs. But, as Carp says the problem in with the bioaccumulation of methyl mercury (MeHg) in top predator fish such as LMB and Stripers. The study also found high levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in all fish in the California lakes they surveyed; even the non-predatory ones like carp. Of the lakes surveyed, Silverwood had the highest levels of MeHg. Kinda scary. After reading the study, I C&R the stripers I've caught. I have read elsewhere that those of us who are half-dead (45 yrs old and above) won't be affected too much. I'm thinking that eating fish from these lakes is ok as long as it's not too often since it's the dose that kills and not the toxin; however, pregnant women, women of child-bearing age, and young people should not be eating the fish from our lakes.

seal
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Yup we're all gonna die! I'm sorry I once again am cynical regarding these scientific studies into everything that is going to kill us. The trout are not gonna be an issue, their time in the water is minimal and at Silverwood the holdover population is very thin these days and I don't believe the recent stockers are going to eat enough resident baitfish to have an issue.

Carp are not non-predatory in my opinion they will eat baitfish and eggs of other predatory fish (LMB's) so they could injest toxins that way.

Oh and please keep the stripers their numbers need to be thinned out, since they have so much toxin in them give them to someone you don't like:Big Grin:.

I guess since I'm 50 I got nothing to worry about, stripers on the grill for me tonight!

GhettoBasster
10-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Yup we're all gonna die! I'm sorry I once again am cynical regarding these scientific studies into everything that is going to kill us. The trout are not gonna be an issue, their time in the water is minimal and at Silverwood the holdover population is very thin these days and I don't believe the recent stockers are going to eat enough resident baitfish to have an issue.

Carp are not non-predatory in my opinion they will eat baitfish and eggs of other predatory fish (LMB's) so they could injest toxins that way.

Oh and please keep the stripers their numbers need to be thinned out, since they have so much toxin in them give them to someone you don't like:Big Grin:.

I guess since I'm 50 I got nothing to worry about, stripers on the grill for me tonight!

Yeah. The stocker trout should be fine. I'll probably end up giving the delicious stripers away like you suggest. Like you, I'm the big 5-0 and I'm sure I'm safe eating them, but my in-laws are now refusing to cook them for my wife, kid and me. Oh well.

Ultralight
10-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone.

Given that we have younger children in our household, that's the reason I asked about water quality as heavy metals and toxins impact their mental development far more than adults. Much appreciate the responses.

UL